Need to upgrade my headphone monitor mix! Please help.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Need to upgrade my headphone monitor mix! Please help.

Post by James Perrett »

This may be a silly question but why do you need a click track when recording jazz? Surely the whole point is to let the musicians improvise and control the pace of the music themselves.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by DC-Choppah »

James Perrett wrote:This may be a silly question but why do you need a click track when recording jazz? Surely the whole point is to let the musicians improvise and control the pace of the music themselves.

Not necessarily. Some jazz is fluid and needs to have a free and loose time feel.

But here is a taste of my latest tune. I want this one to be on grid.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15wXJcL ... sp=sharing

I wrote this tune and laid down my guitar and piano tracks. I use a VI drum, bass and horns. Now I have musicians coming in to track the bass, drums and horn section. I need to track them one by one (because of schedules mainly). So the drummer needs to lay down his own part that he makes up but in service to this groove.

Please let me know what you would like to hear to track to this once I delete the drum VI? Rather than a click, l can derive a simple percussion groove, something with feel.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2010 Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:00 am Location: MD, USA

Post by Kwackman »

DC-Choppah wrote:But here is a taste of my latest tune. I want this one to be on grid.

I like that guitar tone (& playing) :clap:
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3206 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by James Perrett »

For me it would be the guitar and the bass carrying the rhythm that the drummer needs to work with (at least in that clip). I could possibly also imagine something like a shaker carrying the beat through the pauses. The horns should probably be well back in the cue mix - just there enough for the drummer to have some idea of where the tune is going.

However, your drummer may hear things differently and want something different in the mix so you'll need to be flexible.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by DC-Choppah »

Kwackman wrote:
DC-Choppah wrote:But here is a taste of my latest tune. I want this one to be on grid.

Thanks man. This tune is all about that yellow rythm guitar. Glad that is translating.

The rythm guitar I used is this in rythm position: It has a totally unique tone!
https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 0&start=90
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by DC-Choppah »

My drummer has agreed to use the drummer's earplug in his right hear when recording and in both ears when playing live!

He likes this one from our local music shop: https://chucklevins.com/collections/hea ... d-earplugs

He says the cymbals sound right, but that it blocks out the ear damaging sounds when they happen. He says it feels like it only kicks in when needed. Cool!!

Thank you so much for this suggestion. It may actually save this guys hearing. And much better than me just cranking up his monitor.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by manwilde »

That sounds very nice!. Specially love the way the kick drum sounds and sits in the mix. Not so sure about the harder snare hits, though... maybe when all the tracks are laid down it wont stick out so much, but now it feels a bit too loud and strong. But that´s just me...

Very glad you found a way to deal with the cue mix issue. :thumbup:
manwilde
Regular

Post by Martin Walker »

Kwackman wrote:

Same here - and having followed the subsequent link I now remember your labour of love creating the instrument.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by forumuser840717 »

DC-Choppah wrote:My drummer has agreed to use the drummer's earplug in his right hear when recording and in both ears when playing live!

Sensible!

When I play I usually use a pair of decent quality IEMs. Partly so I can have a reasonable monitor mix but more so because of the amount of isolation they give. They block out most of what's going on around me (including my playing!) - which I find particularly important in a theatre pit situation - and let me listen fairly quietly to my monitor mix. The same works on stage for rock and pop type stuff but if I were playing big band or acoustic jazz, I probably wouldn't be using a click and would want to listen to the room sound so would either wear no monitors or go for some fitted earplugs which use little plug in filters for different attenuations and don't colour things so much that it makes it difficult to listen.
forumuser840717
Regular

Post by DC-Choppah »

Martin Walker wrote:
Kwackman wrote:

Same here - and having followed the subsequent link I now remember your labour of love creating the instrument.

Martin

Could not have done it without all the help I got from the SoS Forum folks!
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Martin Walker »

Group hug everyone? :D
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK