Does this exist?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Does this exist?

Post by Sparrows78 »

I’m looking for an instrument that has the following:
• a polyphonic full-size keyboard that can play and manipulate user samples
• modern intern storage(no floppy or memory loss at reboot)
• easy, fast file transfer from pc
• sampling is a bonus
• <1000$

Does this exist?
I’m aware of the old gems from Ensoniq and Roland etc. but I’m looking for something with a more modern storage technology.
I’m suprised that this is so hard to find. I know that the obvious answer is to use a laptop but I would like to be able to have an all-in-one hardware solution with keyboard and hands on controls etc.
Sparrows78
Poster

Re: Does this exist?

Post by Chevytraveller »

There are a number of really good little hardware samplers, but very little in terms of keyboard based models...
Building into a keyboard increases the costs enormously so almost no-one is doing it any more.. there are various keys that will play user Wavs but not much if anything on the editing side...

For my money, you best best would be something like the 1010 Black box which can sit atop just about any keyboard you choose to use as a controller..

https://1010music.com/product/blackbox

Also worthy of consideration but is quite unique in it's granular control is the Tasty Chips GR-1

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/tasty-chips-gr-1

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Posts: 948 Joined: Sat May 13, 2000 12:00 am Location: Hastings
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Post by Sparrows78 »

Whoa! The GR-1 looks extremely interesting! I will look into it more, thanks for the information, I had no idea that it existed.
Sparrows78
Poster

Post by Chevytraveller »

Sparrows78 wrote:Whoa! The GR-1 looks extremely interesting! I will look into it more, thanks for the information, I had no idea that it existed.

Yeah... it's pretty nuts... I have one and it's completely unique

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Posts: 948 Joined: Sat May 13, 2000 12:00 am Location: Hastings
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Post by DGL. »

Most modern workstations can load samples and assign them across the keyboard, My MOTIF XS7 which was released in 2007 can have up to 1Gb of sample memory and can load them in either via a USB flash drive or on a network drive.
So that's another option.
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1950 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by Dave B »

You could look for a s/h Kurzweil PC3k6 as that would tick most of your boxes. It's not perfect, but the key thing is that the samples are non-volatile (don't go away when it's turned off). Loading is not fast, but you rarely do it. And VAST is a beast of a synthesis engine.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5931 Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Maidenhead
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Post by The Elf »

^^^

Bing bing bing! This is the one!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19940 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.