Problems with an old Samson Servo200 amp - question about transformer

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Problems with an old Samson Servo200 amp - question about transformer

Post by RionZ »

Hey folks... I recently put an old amp back into service - in combination with some speakers I've had lying around for some time.

First off, the amp seemed to work as expected, powering the speakers OK. Then I noticed one of the tweeters seemed to be defective.

In order to rule out the crossover in the speaker, i used the direct speaker output from the amp to test the tweeter directly (amp was on low and only touched to tweeter briefly).

When I did this, the mains input fuse blew on the amp (2.5A glass fuse, just above "kettle" lead input").

Now, even after disconnecting amp from all audio inputs and speaker outputs, every time I switch it on, the fuse blows.

I've partially dismantled the amp, checked everything I can visually and generally poked around as far as my limited technical knowledge will allow...

I'm finally at the point where I suspect the transformer isn't right...

After getting through a whole pack of fuses, I now have it on a protected circuit so can test.

What I observed at first was that the protection kept kicking in accompanied by a rhythmic buzzing from the transformer. Disconnecting the power from the output transistors and heatsink didn't make any difference so began to suspect problem with the main power board. So, I disconnected the transformer's AC outputs (there are two sets of two: 2x31V and 2x20v) from the main power board.

Now the transformer buzzes continuously and the voltages are way over what they are supposed to be (about 100v for the 30v winding and 60v for the 20v winding).

Does this sound like a bad transformer?

Is it likely that touching the speaker wires to a blown tweeter would cause this kind of problem? Turns out it was blown already as i tested it with a multimeter - maybe i should have done that first! - and got infinite resistance, i.e. no coil resistence. Maybe I inadvertently shorted the positive and negative speaker wires somehow (although not via the tweeter itself if the coil was already blown).

Finally... if I do need to replace the transformer, how close do the specs need to be to original? The board states 34vac and 18vac is required. The closest dual output transformer I can find so far is 2x32v + 2x15v @300W. Plate on back of amp states 340W - so hopefully 300W is close enough?

Would really appreciate any advice... I'm loathe to assign the amp to the spare parts pile since it's actually had very little use, but if it's going to be fixed, I need to do it myself or not at all since professional repairs are likely to cost way more than an amp of this age and "quality" is worth.

Cheers :)
RionZ
Poster

Re: Problems with an old Samson Servo200 amp - question about transformer

Post by Folderol »

Sounds like partially short circuit primary winding on the transformer. The tweeter issue is pure coincidence - besides are you sure it's a moving coil type? Did you check on the terminals themselves?

You might get away with the lower rated one, especially as the voltages will be a little lower as well. it will depend on what regulated voltages need to be obtained. Try and get hold of a schematic for it.

P.S.

Windings would be:
20-0-20 = 40 overall
30-0-30 = 60 overall

so if you were measuring across the ends, while still way out, it's not quite as bad as it seems :tongue:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18057 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by RionZ »

I found a schematic: https://www.audioservicemanuals.com/s/s ... schematics

It's a bit fuzzy, but seems to be talking about AC48v and AC16V - just to confuse matters further! on the pcb board itself it says 36VAC and 18VAC where the two sets of wires come in from the transformer.

As for the tweeter - it's a titanium dome tweeter for JBL control 5: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284196549714

Moving coil? I think so.... yes, took a reading across the terminals. The other "good" tweeter gave a reading, forget exactly but probably around 4 ohms.

The 240v primary winding on the transformer gives 3.4ohms, which sounds roughly normal from what little I know, although I don't have any specs for the transformer specifically.
RionZ
Poster

Post by Folderol »

OK, that's a usable drawing. The only thing I can't seem to trace is a +24V line from the PSU, I can't see what it connects to! Everything else looks like you'd get away with it. Transformer DC resistance doesn't mean much.

You need to check the transformer wasn't a victim! So look for shorts, especially around the output transistors.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

Folderol wrote:The only thing I can't seem to trace is a +24V line from the PSU, I can't see what it connects to!

It powers the two fans. Page 2, Grid 6A.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16999 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Folderol »

Wonks wrote:
Folderol wrote:The only thing I can't seem to trace is a +24V line from the PSU, I can't see what it connects to!

It powers the two fans. Page 2, Grid 6A.

Ah! Thanks. Shouldn't really be a problem then, they'd get about 20V instead, so would run a trifle slower.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

That's one supply voltage for them. The voltage on the other side of the fan seems to be modulated to provide 2-stage speed control.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16999 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by forumuser931182 »

I would also suggest you measure across the output transistors to make sure they haven’t blown - normally the thing that goes with power amps. It would be very sad if your new transformer fried itself straight away.
forumuser931182
Regular
Posts: 141 Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:23 am Location: Australia

Post by RionZ »

forumuser931182 wrote:I would also suggest you measure across the output transistors to make sure they haven’t blown - normally the thing that goes with power amps. It would be very sad if your new transformer fried itself straight away.

Yes - I don't want to go buying a new transformer without knowing what caused it to blow (if it is indeed blown) in the first place!

Here are the transistors on the heatsink - presumably the ones in question?:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uS-RY_TuVMOXnAQDOHehlxdhHA0e3JIB/view?usp=sharing

Here are my readings with multimeter in diode testing mode, hope the diagram makes sense - I forgot to label the direction of reading on the right-hand set, but they're the same as the left-hand ones. also, i mistakenly labeled the right-hand transistor in each set as "tip35c", when in fact on closer inspection they are tip 36C's

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fzkaPgjjRNWMk2LQ0Z34mXHYquTU5Z1I/view?usp=sharing

Odd that I'm getting readings in both directions on the two smaller centre transistors, although as you can see the readings are all fairly consistent.
RionZ
Poster

Post by Folderol »

That's pretty normal, and no obvious problems there. To a diode test transistors look like back-to-back diodes. However, what is the reading right across the outside legs?
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

Hmm, something screwy here. What you've got doesn't match the drawings, and while most pages say for a range of models, the power stage is specifically marked Servo 600.

I've just done a trawl around the 'net and can't find one for the 200. Yours has a pair of output transistors for each channel, the 600 has six!
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by forumuser931182 »

http://www.hifiengine.com appears to have a schematic for Samson Servo 200 but not sure if it’s the same as you already have.
forumuser931182
Regular
Posts: 141 Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:23 am Location: Australia