JX-8P getting the Vecoven treatment!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

JX-8P getting the Vecoven treatment!

Post by The Elf »

https://youtu.be/-WISOnmca6w
This is great news if you're an 8P owner (kinda makes me wish I still had mine!). PWM upgrade too - something the JX synths always needed IMHO.

I have the Vecoven upgrades (OS4, PWM, internal 'card' banks) and Wilkinson display in my MKS-70, which have transformed it into a powerhouse synth. Absolutely stunning!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: JX-8P getting the Vecoven treatment!

Post by Zukan »

One of the only synths I actually miss. I had the PG800 programmer for it and could pull some amazing ambient pads out of the beast.
Zukan
'Shaka. When the walls fell. Zukan...with his arms wide.'

Samplecraze
1-2-1 Tuition

Post by forumuser931182 »

I almost cried when I first heard the “voices” patch, was that what it was called, ( thinking back to 1984 )
forumuser931182
Regular
Posts: 141 Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:23 am Location: Australia

Post by The Elf »

It's a synth I have a lot of respect for as well, Zuke. SOS has documented my comedically woeful tale of trading in my JX-8P and eventually buying it back when I realised what I'd done.

Now I have a fully 'Vecoven/Wilkinson'-ed MKS-70 (two JX-8Ps in a box, for the uninitiated), with Retroaktiv programmer to take advantage of all the new features (two additional LFOs, two additional - and lightning fast - envelopes, PWM, arpeggiator, 32 internal memory 'cards', etc.) and life is good. It also fixes all those annoying software bugs. I thought long and hard about the upgrade before committing, and decided to keep one of my MKS-70s in original condition. Within hours of receiving the V4 model it was clear that there are absolutely no downsides or compromises at all.

If anyone has a JX-10 or MKS-70 I honestly think they'd be crazy not to at least install the V4 software, even if not taking advantage of the PWM/memory upgrades, which need some hardware chops to accomplish.

Let's see how the JX-8P version fares, but if it's anything like the JX-10/MKS-70 upgrade it really is a near-compulsory upgrade.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.