Disappearing synth pad in mono - any tips?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Disappearing synth pad in mono - any tips?

Post by Murray B »

Hello all,

I've been gradually working on the tips given to me from the last mix I put on here for feedback and a new improved version is just about done :D

However, I thought I'd do a quick check on what the mono version sounds like - mostly fine, but my super wide phasing synth pad pretty much disappears when in the mono version of the mix.

So far I have tried changing the polarity of the synth's left channel - this improved the mono level a little (not as much as I hoped) but the result doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the original noise in stereo.

I am suspecting that one of the causes of the problem is that I boosted only the 'Side' level of the synth sound to push it to the edges of the mix and leave space for the other instruments, if this is the case then is there another way of getting the width that would be more mono compatible?

Is there anything else I could try?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Murray B on Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Murray B
Regular
Posts: 393 Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Staffordshire

Re: Disappearing synth pad - sum to mono any tips?

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Murray B wrote:my super wide phasing synth pad pretty much disappears when in the mono version of the mix.

Yes, it would. The clue is that it's 'super wide' which means most of the signal is carried in the Sides component, and very little in the Mid component. When summing to mono the Sides component is discarded, hence your problem.

I am suspecting that one of the causes of the problem is that I boosted only the 'Side' level of the synth sound to push it to the edges of the mix and leave space for the other instruments, if this is the case then is there another way of getting the width that would be more mono compatible?.

As explained above, if you put stuff only in the Sides component you inherently lose mono compatibility. No way around that.

So, you either:

1. reduce the width a bit to find a happier compromise,

2. or you blend in a little of a similar -- but different-- mono pad to give an acceptable (slightly different) sound in mono,

3. or you could try a phase rotator on one channel of the stereo pad. A 45 degree rotation may achieve what you want.

4. Or you could try introducing a short delay to one channel of the stereo pad, taking care with the value not to introduce obvious comb-filtering colouration in mono.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38957 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Re: Disappearing synth pad in mono - any tips?

Post by Murray B »

Thanks for taking the time to explain this Hugh and for the advice,

I'm still a novice with this stuff especially with the whole Mid/Sides thing and I still don't really know what I don't know yet...

I will try all of the above options and see what works best in the A B between the Mono and Stereo versions, every day's a school day :D
Murray B
Regular

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Murray B wrote: I'm still a novice with this stuff especially with the whole Mid/Sides thing and I still don't really know what I don't know yet...

Murray, you're not alone. I sort of get the the mid-side thing but in practice I could well find it difficult to identify the symptoms if summing to mono, which is something I do occasionally but need to do more of.

I'm continuously working on getting my engineering skills up to speed but much as I hate to admit my shortcomings on that front I'll always be more a performer than an engineer. Years of working on the engineering has definitely yielded great improvements but there is plenty I still need to learn and/or become familiar with.

Taking to heart the advice from folk who have done engineering for as long as one has done performing is humbling and enlightening in equal measure ;)
Last edited by Eddy Deegan on Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8810 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Ben Asaro »

Eddy Deegan wrote: much as I hate to admit my shortcomings on that front I'll always be more a performer than an engineer.

Oh dear, I guess that makes me a well-intentioned noodler, as I can’t even play the instrument I’ve been writing in for the past 4 years. :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2361 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Eddy Deegan wrote:I sort of get the the mid-side thing but in practice I could well find it difficult to identify the symptoms if summing to mono, which is something I do occasionally but need to do more of.

This is one area where the BBC's old A/B M/S twin-twin PPM was so useful, and why being able to monitor the stereo difference signal on a monitor controller makes identifying and solving this kind of issue so much easier!

An audio vectorscope or Lissajous display is also very helpful for spotting this kind of thing.
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: An audio vectorscope or Lissajous display is also very helpful for spotting this kind of thing.

Duly bookmarked, along with a couple of notes for reference. Thanks Hugh :thumbup:

Ben Asaro wrote: Oh dear, I guess that makes me a well-intentioned noodler, as I can’t even play the instrument I’ve been writing in for the past 4 years. :D

I've heard your work Ben - you're comfortably past "well intentioned noodler", that much I can say for sure :-)
Last edited by Eddy Deegan on Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddy Deegan

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Hugh Robjohns wrote: An audio vectorscope or Lissajous display is also very helpful for spotting this kind of thing.

Duly bookmarked, along with a couple of notes for reference. Thanks Hugh :thumbup:

Although there are plenty of plugins and interface/DAW displays that can provide audio vectorscopes I much prefer an external hardware meter, just because it doesn't take up screen space, never disappears, and it's always viewable at a glance.

Arguably the best value on the current market is the TC Clarity M which is a really versatile, well designed meter that includes a vectorscope display and the TC Radar display for loudness evaluation. It's available in stereo and stereo+5.1 versions and I highly recommend it -- buy it now before Uli decides to stop TC from building it!

The stereo version is around £225 and I've seen the 2+5.1 version for under £300 online.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by The Elf »

+1 for the TC Clarity.

Yes, you can do it other ways, but I find that having the Clarity just sitting there doing its thing all the time means you reference it more often, even for simple curiosity.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20017 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Quite so... and the thing about vectorscope displays is that it takes time to learn how to intepret what you see and relate the display shapes to what you're hearing. So having the meter in the corner of the eye or just a glance away all the time really helps.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Eddy Deegan »

One will be turning up here on Monday :D
Eddy Deegan

Post by The Elf »

Eddy Deegan wrote:One will be turning up here on Monday :D

Having a tactical display is one thing, but having your own logo on there is far more important! :D
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20017 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Show Off! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Eddy Deegan »

:D:clap::thumbup:
Eddy Deegan

Post by MarkOne »

I haven't actually tried this but an engineer who's opinion I value once told me about a widening trick with a graphic EQ like the waves 32 band GEQ that preserves mono compatibility

On the left channel you cut every even band and on the right channel you cut every odd band, and then make up the overall gain.

The idea being that you end up with elements of the signal in the left channel and the missing elements in the right channel.

Like I said I have never actually tried this but perhaps luminaries with bigger brains than I could chip in on the practicality.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2734 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

MarkOne wrote:On the left channel you cut every even band and on the right channel you cut every odd band, and then make up the overall gain.

Yes, this can work with a mono or not-too-wide stereo signal, but all those interacting filters can affect the sound quality too. It's a variation on a standard fake-stereo technique.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Kwackman »

There’s a plug-in that makes the fake widening process very easy. I’m not at my computer, but I think it’s called “Wider” and is made by Infected Mushroom and I believe it is free.

Edit.. back at computer now..
Here's a link, and it is still a free plug-in!
https://polyversemusic.com/products/wider/
Last edited by Kwackman on Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by Martin Walker »

Spot on Kwackman!

According to Infected Mushroom:
"Thanks to Wider’s one-of-a-kind all pass and comb filtering algorithm, a natural sounding stereo image is created from a mono channel, without compromising the phase between the sides! Instead, Wider cancels itself out when summed to mono, so the original signal is left intact.

Wider can be used to increase the stereo image of any mono signal up to 200% of full stereo for an extra wide, exaggerated effect."

Martin
Last edited by Martin Walker on Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Walker
Posts: 20625 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Murray B »

Martin Walker wrote:Spot on Kwackman!

According to Infected Mushroom:
"Thanks to Wider’s one-of-a-kind all pass and comb filtering algorithm, a natural sounding stereo image is created from a mono channel, without compromising the phase between the sides! Instead, Wider cancels itself out when summed to mono, so the original signal is left intact.

Wider can be used to increase the stereo image of any mono signal up to 200% of full stereo for an extra wide, exaggerated effect."

Martin

Definitely going to investigate this - sounds like just the ticket :clap: Thank you
Murray B
Regular

Post by Martin Walker »

Murray B wrote:Definitely going to investigate this - sounds like just the ticket :clap: Thank you

Glad Kwackman and I could help! :thumbup:

Just be aware that it's intended for turn MONO sources into stereo ones, and not primarily to make already stereo sources wider - I downloaded it as a freebie and tried it out, but it's rare that I'd want to turn mono into stereo (my mono sources tend to either get mono or stereo effects on them, or just a little EQ and reverb, which places them in the stereo picture.

When I want to make something wider in the mix, it's invariably a stereo sound that I want to get out to the edges of the stereo image, beyond everything else, for dramatic effect. Apart from this special case, most of the time I'm far more likely to REDUCE the stereo width of a stereo sound so it doesn't take up so much real estate in the mix.

Martin
Last edited by Martin Walker on Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Walker
Posts: 20625 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK