Gig season is almost upon us!

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Gig season is almost upon us!

Post by N i g e l »

blinddrew wrote:
N i g e l wrote:Which station ?

Sorry, missed this earlier. Local digital radio - https://yorkmix.com/radio/ I'm on at 8:10 in the morning apparently.
I didn't know there was an 8:10 in the morning...?

I listened to that on the internet. Well done ! you survived & then some.... as did your song; it seemed to be less affected by the mangling compressor than the preceeding Bony M track.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3663 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by Martin Walker »

Hi Drew!

Did your interview get recorded and preserved for posterity?

I did visit the site and performed a site-related search for 'Southern Wild' and 'Drew Stephenson', but neither turned up any results.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Dave B »

I listened to it yesterday. The site has a 'Listen Again' link which opens a popup to select the show and day. I found the breakfast show for the 4th June and it is about 1:40:00 in.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5931 Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Maidenhead
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Here's a copy a friend made: https://soundcloud.com/the-southern-wil ... radio-file
Irritatingly it didn't occur to me until afterwards. :headbang:
I did mean to ask about broadcast compressors but I'll start another thread on that.
And thank you all for listening. :thumbup:
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Martin Walker »

blinddrew wrote:Here's a copy a friend made: https://soundcloud.com/the-southern-wil ... radio-file
Irritatingly it didn't occur to me until afterwards. :headbang:
I did mean to ask about broadcast compressors but I'll start another thread on that.
And thank you all for listening. :thumbup:

Good listen, and you came across really well in the flesh Drew.

Not sure about their use of broadcast compressors though - your track was really pumping :(

Still sounded good though! :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by N i g e l »

blinddrew wrote:Here's a copy a friend made: https://soundcloud.com/the-southern-wil ... radio-file
:

I think that sounds a lot clearer than the internet-listen-again version that I listened to.
I remember it being heaver/darker/more pumped. It *was* early in the morning and I was having a surreal time, so maybe it was my ears. I tried to re-listen again but the York Radios archive doesnt go that far back now.

I googled broadcast compressor and it suggested a multiband compressor followed by a limiter. Apparently the transmitter must definitely not be overloaded otherwise it will splat RF into other frequency bands.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3663 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by Dave B »

So ... after everything being cancelled, suddenly a gig popped up and I'll be doing outdoor live sound tonight. Which is nice. One of the regular pubs has changed owners and the new chap is doing gigs in an open marquee with a stage (if it is what it was for the old festivals). I'll know more in a couple of hours when I bowl over there and start rigging.

Now all I have to do is remember what I need to take ... :headbang:

It's going to be a bit of a rush to get there and rig and the pub want everything to stop by 10pm. So I shouldn't be too late.

If you don't hear from me tomorrow morning, just assume I am too tired and sore after my first gig for months and send breakfast - preferably bacon rolls and tea. :D
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Good luck! :thumbup:
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Folderol »

blinddrew wrote:Good luck! :thumbup:

wot 'e sed :)
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18065 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by BJG145 »

Enjoy!

I'm rushed off my ass with gigs now. Well, almost.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by Dave B »

Well, I made it through the gig. I am still alive. Just to be safe, send bacon rolls anyway - better safe than sorry.

My own post match analysis is interesting :

1. Gain structure. OK, I cocked it up. I had lots of headroom still on the PA, but forgot about that and pushed the mixer. I could hear some crackles and distortion and I'm not sure if I was overloading a channel or two, overloading the mix bus or whether the PA was objecting.

2. DCA groups. Usually with this band, I tend to set a rough level then switch to a bank of DCA faders to ride things up and down. The frontman is fairly dynamic, the lead guitarist has madly quiet lead patches and the keyboard player has absurd level changes so I'm kept on my toes. Sadly, I was so caught up in it, I didn't take a second to switch to working via the DCAs which would have put everything I needed onto a single page. Silly boy

3. Outdoor enclosed stages and a hard hitting drummer are struggle. I only had the kick in the PA - bringing up the snare or the o/heads made no difference in sound without going to very high levels. Sounded fine, so I was cool

4. OTOH, we moved people about as we had stage space and so fixed feedback issues with positioning and mic angles. That was nice to do for a change. Band happy with on stage sound. Which was nice

5. Lots of compliments about the sound overall. Which is very nice. A lot from other musicians which is doubly good.

6. It was hard work though! And chilly in the open air - I need to stick a pair of gloves that still work touchscreens into my kit bag. I should have realised that the Met Office wouldn't get it right...

7. Oooooowwwwww!! On top of the physical effort of loading kit, rigging, mixing, de-rigging and loading again, I'm currently nursing an injured knee. By the time I stopped at a ratburger van on the way home, my leg couldn't actually support my weight. A good night's sleep has helped quite a lot, but I'll be taking it easy today.

So all in all good. People happy. Band paid. New owners of venue met and befriended. Punters all merry. (Uber making a small fortune taking people from a country pub back to towns)

I should do this again sometime - oh - I am in a couple of weeks... better get fitter! :D
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

Well Done! Makes me tired just reading about it :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18065 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!