For the experts!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

For the experts!

Post by gyates329 »

I have two similar standard full size electronic keyboards. The one I would like to use is the Casio LK-90Tv. At home I only have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo for now. I am under the impression that if I buy 2 X 1/4" TRS Mono Male to Male Cables and connect them appropriately that I should be able to record analog signal to my DAW(FL Studio) from the Casio LK-90Tv. Would that work or not? Bottom line is I am just trying to get signal recorded (NOT MIDI). If there were a way to optimize this technique though please feel free to share. Thanks a lot.
gyates329
New here
Posts: 12 Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:40 am Location: Virginia Beach
George Yates III
Soundcloud | Youtube

Re: For the experts!

Post by uselessoldman »

The headphone jack output on the rear of the Casio keyboard is stereo whilst the Solo is only one channel, mono. The line input on your computer (assuming it has built in soundcard) is however also stereo so why not just use that? Else you would need a dual port audio interface to capture stereo both left and right channels
uselessoldman
Regular

Post by The Elf »

The Casio LK-90TV has no dedicated line outputs. You will need to use the headphone output to connect to your audio interface.

However, the Scarlett Solo has only one input, so you won't be able to connect both left and right outputs to it at the same time.

With both of the above in mind you could try using a TRS to 2xTS jack cable from the Casio's headphone output to the Solo's input and see how it sounds. You will only be able to use one of the cable's TS jacks to connect. If the Casio relies heavily on stereo width then the result may sound strange. Your ears will have to be the judge of how acceptable that is.

Here's the sort of cable you will need:

Depending on what you're trying to achieve I wouldn't dismiss MIDI. Recording MIDI, editing that MIDI, then recording the resulting audio, is standard procedure for recording keyboards.
Last edited by The Elf on Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20029 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by OneWorld »

gyates329 wrote:I have two similar standard full size electronic keyboards. The one I would like to use is the Casio LK-90Tv. At home I only have a Focusrite Scarlett Solo for now. I am under the impression that if I buy 2 X 1/4" TRS Mono Male to Male Cables and connect them appropriately that I should be able to record analog signal to my DAW(FL Studio) from the Casio LK-90Tv. Would that work or not? Bottom line is I am just trying to get signal recorded (NOT MIDI). If there were a way to optimize this technique though please feel free to share. Thanks a lot.

There are such cables that go stereo to mono, eBay or even £1 shops have them. But I wouldn't bother, with all the faffin about, a decent 2 in 2 out interface is quite inexpensive these days.

That said, I agree with the comment made by Elf. The Casio has a USB interface for the MIDI, so just record the MIDI data into the DAW, play it back. However, if the LK90 is not multitimbral, and you would want several MIDI tracks playing the LK90, then yes you would need the LK90 recorded in FL as an audio track, as you would a multitrack recorder, so yes, you would need the audio going from LK90 -> Scarlett -> DAW
Last edited by OneWorld on Sat Jun 12, 2021 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster