Busking with a stomp box

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Busking with a stomp box

Post by forumuser641699 »

Those stomp box things, the bass thud type not a guitar pedal......
Does anyone know of a small battery amp that can deliver the bass needed for one of these?
forumuser641699
Regular

Re: Busking with a stomp box

Post by BJG145 »

I'm still wondering what happened to my Blackstar Fly 3. Anyone seen it? :-|

Currently begging other band members to try some busking but no takers yet.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by ef37a »

I am not a fan of 'amplified' buskers. My town centre is partly pedestrianized and just one guy with a Vox Cube or similar can be heard 100mtr away and drowns out the other folks on acoustic guitar and a really pretty good violinist.

Don't mind a mic and bit of 'reinforcement', saves the voice but I do not want to be battered at 90dB+. I always give something to buskers as my son was in that position some years ago in France but I give more to the acoustic people.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by BJG145 »

ef37a wrote:I am not a fan of amplified buskers.

I hear what you're saying. I used to have to endure poor busking in Diss through a Street Cube or similar a long distance from where the dude might have hoped that anyone would show him some financial appreciation.

But it's a fair question; if you're heading out with your acoustic and a logarhythm you'll need some modest amplification. I guess one question is, what amp do you currently use if any, and will this just be for the stomp box or also other stuff....? I 'd probably be looking for a battery bass or keyboard amp.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

I agree about amped buskers. It's not really that I am busking, I've gigs outside pubs due to covid. It's acoustic music and I like that but sometimes the voice could do with a boost. I'd use a Fishman loudbox mini, a great amp but for the stomp I need more bass.
forumuser641699
Regular

Post by Saxum esse et non provolvere »

Erm, in a departure from my customary tech-led approach, might I suggest a small kick drum with a pedal ? Or a cajon with a kick drum pedal attached ?
Saxum esse et non provolvere
Regular
Posts: 74 Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:00 am Location: Wherever my van is, UK

Post by resistorman »

Saxum esse et non provolvere wrote:Erm, in a departure from my customary tech-led approach, might I suggest a small kick drum with a pedal ? Or a cajon with a kick drum pedal attached ?

+1! Even aBose S1 pro won’t handle it. I know, because my friend has one and we tried. Awful. You need a serious subwoofer and power for that. I suppose you could power a subwoofer with an inverter, but the acoustic route is far easier. Then there’s the classic suitcase with a kick drum pedal which has the dual benefit of a carrying case for your gear.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by N i g e l »

resistorman wrote:Then there’s the classic suitcase with a kick drum pedal which has the dual benefit of a carrying case for your gear.

:lol: Ive not seen that before, extra marks for inventive thinking !
N i g e l
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3663 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by Logarhythm »

BJG145 wrote: But it's a fair question; if you're heading out with your acoustic and a logarhythm you'll need some modest amplification.

:shocked:
Honestly, I wouldn't recommend taking me busking - my playing/singing isn't something that anyone with any level of morality would want to inflict on the public :?:mrgreen:
Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1093 Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:00 am Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Mmm, I was wondering about the acoustic route, I didn't want to be carrying too much around but maybe it could work. Meinl do a small box you can attach a kick pedal to, looks quite good but not sure it's really going to give me the thud I'm looking for.
Some Bodharan drums can be pretty deep, I've not seen one of those used with a pedal, perhaps that could work. Again, kinda need to see/hear one to know for sure.
As resistorman says, it's probably a sub I need, not sure they make those small/battery powered.
forumuser641699
Regular

Post by Drew Stephenson »

forumuser641699 wrote:As resistorman says, it's probably a sub I need, not sure they make those small/battery powered.

Physics is not on your side for this one.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by N i g e l »

forumuser641699 wrote:.....
Some Bodharan drums can be pretty deep,.....

there seems to be a few portable/skinny bass drums out there.
It presents a different image to using an old suitacase

N i g e l
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3663 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles