What's a good substitute for my Tascam portable recorder mic for the studio?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

What's a good substitute for my Tascam portable recorder mic for the studio?

Post by DC-Choppah »

I have been using my Tascam portable recorder as a microphone in the project studio. I like what it adds. Great stereo image and very clear and bright sound. I don't have to fool with it to get a great stereo image.

Unfortunately, you have to put the recorder (Tascam DR-07 mkII) into record mode to enable the microphone outputs. Then if you don't hit record, it times out and shuts down, so you have to actually record with it to use the mic. But then it creates a huge file, and runs out of space in the middle of a song, so I end up missing stuff cause my microphone shuts down! Or, the batter runs out! It appears that recording uses up battery fast.

This is all too infuriating lately, so what I am looking for is the equivalent of this mic, but just as a regular mic I can plug into my board.

I love this little recorder too and would prefer to just use it for field recording instead as it was intended.

Is this a mod project? Is there a way to get a 2nd Tascam unit and take it apart and convert it to a regular microphone that will plug into my board and use the phantom power?
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2010 Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:00 am Location: MD, USA

Re: What's a good substitute for my Tascam portable recorder mic for the studio?

Post by Bob Bickerton »

I guess some more information would be useful. So you are after a stereo microphone? Or just mono/single. And your Board (mixer/interface) has XLRs and 48v phantom power available? - maybe give us the name and model number.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5085 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand

Re: What's a good substitute for my Tascam portable recorder mic for the studio?

Post by DC-Choppah »

The mixing board is Yamaha MG16XU. So the mic can go into two phantom powered channels, or could go into a stereo line input.

I do have an extra stereo mic preamp that I could put to work with this too: https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0CCZ

I want a permanent XY stereo setup mic like the Tascam recorder mic, but I want to plug it into my board and not deal with the Tascam recorder's recorder operational features.

I want a stereo XY mic that is idiot proof just like the TASCAM. I love the stereo image the mic makes. I would really love to somehow pull the mic out and plug it into my board - somehow - or the equivalent of that.

More and more I am having very talented folks over to play and I have limited time with them. I need foolproof stuff I can count on. Lately when I set the Tascam up as a stereo mic it lets me down and shuts off in the middle of tracking. :headbang:
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by awjoe »

DC-Choppah wrote:
I want a stereo XY mic that is idiot proof just like the TASCAM. I love the stereo image the mic makes. I would really love to somehow pull the mic out and plug it into my board - somehow - or the equivalent of that.

If I was in that situation, I'd pull out two matched mics and start recording with them. That's equivalent. Somewhere or other, I've got this rig that'll hold two mics at whatever angle I want. Really simple. Try a couple of angles and find out what you like, and you're well in.

DC-Choppah wrote:More and more I am having very talented folks over to play and I have limited time with them. I need foolproof stuff I can count on. Lately when I set the Tascam up as a stereo mic it lets me down and shuts off in the middle of tracking. :headbang:

So the mic's idiotproof on the Tascam, but the shutting down in the middle of tracking thing's irritating.

I commiserate - unforgivable - you need something to record on that keeps recording until you hit the stop button, no matter how good the stereo mic sounds.

ps If I was you really, I'd be trying to figure out how to get the Tascam to keep recording reliably. That would solve all problems, right?
awjoe
Jedi Poster
Chronologically blessed.

Post by Bob Bickerton »

As mentioned a matched pair of single mics would do the trick and ultimately give you more flexibility - but it does mean you need to either have them permanently set-up or you have to set them up each time.

If you really want the stereo configuration the Rode NT4 springs to mind. You'd get a good pair of mics which are in the correct configuration for your specification. I also believe the Audio Technica BP4025 is a decent mic, though I haven't tried it myself.

Interesting to compare the NT4 pricing of US$529 at Sweetwater with a pair of NT5s (same capsule) US$429.

If you like the sound of the mics in the Tascam, you'll love the sound of the NT4/5s :thumbup:

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5085 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand

Post by Terrible.dee »

Dude....Just get a mic.

It's not rocket science.
Terrible.dee
Regular

Post by Mike Stranks »

I have my doubts about the 'stereo effect' of the mics on the DR07... two omnis about 3 cms apart... hmmm... :think:

I used an NT4 for many years for local-radio broadcast location work... good sound which 'collapsed' perfectly when heard in mono and super-quick to set-up.

Why do you want to record your voice in stereo? It's an unusual technique, but if it works for you...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by FrankF »

Are you using rechargeable batteries? They usually last longer than conventional cells.

By the by, the manual says you should get 7hrs! recording from a pair of AAs - if they're dying before 7hrs, surely there must be a break in recording where you can just put in fresh batteries?!

Another short-term solution would be a mains adapter for the Tascam : Ebay have them for about 20 dollars :
https://tinyurl.com/rpf5khw2
FrankF
Regular
Posts: 450 Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:00 am Location: La Vendée, France

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Rode NT4 for a simple-to-mount solution. A pair of SDCs and a stereo arm according to your preferred budget for a nearly-as-simple solution.
Or just get a 5V power supply and ignore the batteries when in the studio?
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by DC-Choppah »

Bob Bickerton wrote: If you really want the stereo configuration the Rode NT4 springs to mind. You'd get a good pair of mics which are in the correct configuration for your specification. I also believe the Audio Technica BP4025 is a decent mic, though I haven't tried it myself.

Interesting to compare the NT4 pricing of US$529 at Sweetwater with a pair of NT5s (same capsule) US$429.

If you like the sound of the mics in the Tascam, you'll love the sound of the NT4/5s :thumbup:

Bob

Rode NT4 looks perfect for me. Thank you kindly.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by DC-Choppah »

blinddrew wrote:Rode NT4 for a simple-to-mount solution. A pair of SDCs and a stereo arm according to your preferred budget for a nearly-as-simple solution.

Even with external power the darn portable recorder will shut off on its own unless you hit record. And once recording, it will shut off when it runs out of memory and then it stops recording.

I need to get away from the kludge of using the recorder as my stereo mic.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Drew Stephenson »

DC-Choppah wrote:
blinddrew wrote:Rode NT4 for a simple-to-mount solution. A pair of SDCs and a stereo arm according to your preferred budget for a nearly-as-simple solution.

Even with external power the darn portable recorder will shut off on its own unless you hit record. And once recording, it will shut off when it runs out of memory and then it stops recording.

I need to get away from the kludge of using the recorder as my stereo mic.

Ah right, i think my zoom bypasses the automatic shutdown if it's running on the mains.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/