Here we go -- single-skiff performance synth in 104hp?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Here we go -- single-skiff performance synth in 104hp?

Post by Ben Asaro »

With the success of my JV-1080 experiments, the thoughts of a portable performance-oriented eurorack skiff is like an itch I can't scratch. :D I also would like to see if I can book a streaming gig with the New York Modular Society, and obviously using the 1080 wouldn't work lol. :shh:

After a few goes on Modular Grid, assisted by real-world alpha testing, I came up with the following: https://photos.app.goo.gl/c5PFJsW8mptXM8mB7

So, a quick walk through of the skiff:
1 Master clocking and additional trigger pulses are from Pamela's Workout
2 Pam's also feeds the MIDI <>CLK module for clock divisions and MIDI clock feeding the RV-500 for tempo-sync'd delays
3 Intellijel Quadra is providing VCA and filter envelopes
4 Make Noise Dynamix is acting as a VCA here, as well as sub mixing the levels of the analogue voices
5 2x Oscillation VCOs and 2x Doepfer LPFs
6 Steady State Modbox for modulating PWM and sample & hold duties
7 Intellijel Mixup for sub mixing the modular, 808 kick, and external synth
8 WORNG LRMSMSLR mid-side processor that adds reverb and delay to anything panned left or right whilst keeping the kick drum dry
9 Tip Top Audio BD808 kick drum module

It's a bit of a misnomer because there is no sequencing here, it simply wouldn't fit using the modules I have. It's still very much a work-in-progress because I will have to settle on which sequencer I want to use and am currently torn between the power of the NerdSeq vs the immediacy of the SQ-1. There really is no contest in terms of sheer versatility, but I interact very differently with the one vs the other, and for this setup, I think the SQ-1 may be the better option.

As an accompanying synth, I am also equally torn between the DSI MOPHO and the MiniBrute, for pretty much the identical reasons: the MB has an integrated keyboard and the parameters are right there, whereas the MOPHO has presets, 2 VCOs and an onboard sequencer if needed.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2357 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Re: Here we go -- single-skiff performance synth in 104hp?

Post by Ben Asaro »

Couple of hours of work, and I will have to reorganize my other cases now, but it's together and ready to be played in anger.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/59WpeCSXY25AWUHx8
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Ben Asaro »

This is coming together quite quickly, and the folks over at NYMS are really keen about booking and promoting gigs, so who knows? This may actually happen ...

In the meanwhile, I still have a ton of actual prep work to do, but the skiff is now complete; I just tested it and everything is still working as it should. I will say this -- having everything self-contained in a single skiff is very enjoyable and quite compact. My muscle memory had me reaching for the other cases and I had to keep reminding myself, no, everything is right here.

I was able to do a lead synth shoot out this evening between the MiniBrute and the MOPHO, and I recorded both so I could go back and listen objectively. I was expecting it to be a tough fight, and it was -- both synths have great strengths that differ from each other. I loved the warmth and thickness of the MiniBrute, and the MB's glide is really nice! However, on the lowest drone notes, the MOPHO is tighter and more present, even if a little less authoritative. I ended up adding a smidge of sub osc to the MOPHO and the final sound is certainly good enough for my purposes.

The plan for tomorrow is to test the entire system and dig up my old BOSS looper pedal and see how the proof of concept jam goes.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Arpangel »

It’s always extremely interesting looking at other peoples racks, they are totally individual, modular is like people, all different, what I like is nothing is right or wrong.
You’ve got an A-120, great filter, very underrated, it’s a lovely dark, smooth thing.
Hope the gigs work out.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

It's all very pluggy and knobby :?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18061 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Arpangel »

This is very Modwiggler, maybe we should have a "show us your rack" thread!

:D:D:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

Well, I played the whole thing in anger tonight and I am sad to say that 104hp isn't quite enough space to do what I want. I keep having to find work-arounds for things I can just as easily do with modules I already own.

So it's with heavy heart that I acknowledge defeat and acceptance that I'm going to have to use my 6U case for all of the signal routing I need. :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Ben Asaro »

I really wasn't thrilled with the idea of going to 208hp, it would introduce compromises of a different kind, or unused space. But then I had a lightbulb moment and remembered the case that I used when I had outgrown my original skiff: a shallow depth (I think it's 9" deep) 6U rack case with two Happy Ending kits inside it!

So, a quick trip to Modular Grid later (https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1623016) and I'm ready to tear it all apart again and rebuild it.

As fun as it is to use the SQ1, at this stage it would be silly to not use the NerdSeq. I also discovered that the tracking on the SQ1 isn't all that accurate, which may cause an issue later on down the road.

The updated layout keeps most everything from the original skiff with a few extras:

:: The step sequencer and master clock will now be the NerdSeq. I will also use the More Triggers expansion to trigger drums, and can use the MOD outs from the NerdSeq to trigger the Quadra for filter envelopes.
:: The strymon AA.1 will be used to get the audio signal of the MOPHO properly into the eurorack ecosystem so I can have a single pair of cables going to FOH.
:: Mixing duties will now go from the Mixup to the WORNG Sound Stage. The LRMSMSLR will still serve as my effects loop.
:: The Make Noise Rosie will be used for headphone monitoring and mono summing to FOH; if I happen to play a place that has stereo (or for recording), I can bypass the Rosie and go stereo out from the LRMSMSLR.

A bit more complex than the original setup, but this will save me a lot of headaches using adapters and whatnot and will be much more reliable for mixing the audio of the MOPHO in.

Now, if I can avoid the temptation of adding the Subharmonicon or Lyra-8 to the setup, I'll consider it a win! :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by resistorman »

Sounds good!
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Arpangel »

Modular racks are a reflection of of our inner selves, and are only really understood by those that build them.
I look at your rack Ben, and my brain goes into melt-down trying to understand how it works, holistically. It's patently obvious that you have the ability, and are willing to put lots of time, and effort into understanding things that I would give up on in five minutes, I wish I could be like that sometimes.
Not sure if it’s got anything to do with our respective age groups, I seem to be creating less, and I’m becoming less interested in things generally, like equipment, I am an observer now, not, a participant.
I find modular a kind of therapy, yesterday I rearranged my rack, it’s like meditation, and it’s very strange how satisfied I feel, and how relaxed I am, if I know my rack is in order, all is fine with the world.
I hope the gigs work out, and if we make it to New York next year, I’d like to come and see you play, and generally, check-out the New York music scene, I understand it’s still very interesting, and that people are very receptive to new things, there’s still a vibe.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

I like the puzzle aspect of trying to make it all work; this thread is mostly my thinking out loud, it helps me to see it in writing.

Since portability is paramount for me, and I know that 104hp isn't going to be enough space, the question is, performatively, whether the 6U rack is better than a Make Noise skiff and a Moog skiff combined... Due to the size and height I would need for the rack to work, it may not be tenable.

Today will see a lot of experimentation!

One thing this experience has helped me see is how I can break down my modular into smaller systems.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Ben Asaro »

Done! ... I hope lol. :)

I was able to make this work with a couple of small changes to my Moog sidecar.

OUT: Pamela's Workout, MIDI <> CLK

IN: 808 drum modules, Disting Mk4

After a thorough play through and staying up way too late sorting out issues related to signal routing, I am now using the Dynamix for the synths and the Mixup for the drums. Dynamix Sum output goes through the RV-500/Blackhole and into Channel A of Rosie. Mixup goes directly to Channel B of Rosie.

It turns out that the mid/side processing wasn't jiving very well with the delay and reverb, I think it's due to the complex nature of the waveforms, it was very much an all-or-nothing result. Deciding to bypass the mid-side makes the signal routing much easier, and having Rosie as the final mix/balance stage, as well as having discrete outputs for FOH and cue/review makes it totally stand-alone!

I also ended up nixing one of the delays and reverbs for a single reverb/delay, though I may bring the 2nd reverb back depending on how I am liking it.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MmgHraAH3ptgrF3L8

Whew ... everything sounds fantastic!

In retrospect, I think that this would be the system I would have put together 4 years ago had I known then what I know now. As it stands now, I essentially have 2 other complete modular systems and I will be reconfiguring the cases with that in mind. This one is focused on live playback of sequences; another one will be centered around Mother-32 and Subharmonicon exploration (I will be relocating them to the rack case); and a third system using the Turing Machine, Pluck, and Quadnic. I think this will make it easy for jamming or following my muse when I'm in a more generative mindest.

Overall I'm very pleased, it's compact and all fits on my 2-tier stand. If I don't use the Lyra-8 and use my KeyStep instead of the KSP, it will be even more portable!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)