Yoshimi Pi

For all other computers and operating systems, including Atari, Linux and mobile apps.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Yoshimi Pi

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Definitely not seen that behaviour with mine Will. As with most of my studio gear there are periods of time when they don't get used and they've never had a problem booting reliably (and staying there) at any point!
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8844 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Martin Walker »

+1 with Eddy - mine boots up perfectly every time (just tried it yet again, and no probs)

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Folderol »

Thanks folks. That's most reassuring.
I'll leave it for now (doing 'other' things), but I'll sort it later.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18204 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by mutant0407 »

Hi Will,

Hope you and yours are all well and sane!

Did you get my email a from a couple of days ago? I am super interested in getting hold of a YP....

Stephen
mutant0407

Post by Folderol »

mutant0407 wrote:Hi Will,

Hope you and yours are all well and sane!

Did you get my email a from a couple of days ago? I am super interested in getting hold of a YP....

Stephen

email replied :)
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

Just had a very interesting result :D

For a while I've been experimenting off-and-on with the part build yp008, and various OS images. I've now got it running with the Rosegarden sequencer on board. This is far from lightweight software! Nevertheless I was able to run a moderately complex 10 part project with no detectable Xruns. This was also with the little screen at it maximum resolution of 1920x1080

The proof:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

:o

That IS impressive Will.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Eddy Deegan »

DD image?! :-)
Eddy Deegan

Post by Folderol »

I've got some clean-ups to do, but I should be able to put an image up somewhere soon-ish.

It will now auto-connect to the 'net but only if the line is active at startup (or reboot). I still haven't been able to get it to auto-mount USB sticks though :(

P.S.
I discovered what was causing the occasional startup failure. I'd made a mistake with some of the startup software, that was slowing down a critical part of the sequence, such that the initial holdup circuit timed out before the 'on' lock was set.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

Ho-Hum I've hit a speedbump :(

While I always understood that not all SD cards of a given size are actually equal, it hadn't occurred to me that this was also true of different cards from the same manufacturer and model. It seems that by pure chance the one I used to generate the image file was at the top of the size range, and the other two that I've got are not big enough to take the transfer. Just to complete my misery, the go-to utility for shrinking Raspberry Pi images seems to corrupt this one. Oh, and I can no longer find the original devuan image on-line that I started with.

The (sort of) good news is the image works perfectly on a 32G card, and this card works exactly as it should do in yp003.

Anyway, until and unless I can find a way to reliably shrink the image, I can't risk putting this out as a re-flash option :(

P.S.
With hindsight, I should have used an 8G card for development - it would be more than big enough and would ensure it could be copied to working ones.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

Progress!

I've spent most of the day on this, but all the suggestions I got from world+dog failed to produce a usable compressed image :(

However...
Putting my web search foo into overdrive I was eventually able to find a compressed image of
a recent (May 2021) build of 64 bit devuan beowulf. I've tested this on one of my 16G cards and it worked perfectly, even though the image is classed as 'experimental'.

With all the extras needed for Yoshimi and Rosegarden (including some example files) the completed build uses less the 4G of the card in total. Therefore the idea of getting an 8G card and building on that as my reference, then flashing to 16G ones is perfectly feasible.

I shall sleep well tonight :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

... and we have a result :bouncy:
I'm currently uploading a 3.3G zipped image - so you'll have to unzip it before burning a card. It's taken over an hour to get to 20% (standard ADSL upload rate), so I'll leave it running when I go out.

It's actually 15G and will fit on all the 16G cards I can get hold of, so I'm cautiously optimistic. If in doubt get a 32G card which it will definitely be OK on. It's got lots of extra toys so do have a good poke around 'Apps'.

To Show off Yoshimi and Rosegarden at their best, if you are using the supplied screen, then before running either of these use the Resolution app to change to 1280x1024, and they'll position nicely on the display. I suggest also moving the CPU monitor to the bottom right, so you can see the sort of work it's doing and how hot it's getting.

As well as the previous help entries, there is the (still not complete) new user guide, and a text file 'New_Features'. A double click will load it into a text editor.

Have fun, make notes, and ask questions tomorrow :lol:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Hurrah, well done Will :clap:
Eddy Deegan

Post by Folderol »

Well, About 11 I went to bed with it still running :o
Anyway it's finally here
I won't be doing that again!
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Will this image only work with your Yoshimi Pi's or can it be used with any Pi 4? Our lad now has a Pi 4 so I was wondering if he could use it?
James Perrett
Posts: 14372 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Folderol »

James Perrett wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:32 am Will this image only work with your Yoshimi Pi's or can it be used with any Pi 4? Our lad now has a Pi 4 so I was wondering if he could use it?

It will work with any Pi4, but you won't of course get the power management that our extras provide, so it will auto-start and a shutdown will leave it drawing standby current. We handle several GPIOs so if you lad starts messing with those all bets are off!
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to do this Will. Safely downloaded at this end, and a card on order to deploy it to :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan

Post by Folderol »

:)
Let me know how you get on... Oh, and from the 7th to the 12th I'll be off-grid at the NFFF :bouncy:

Moving on, some numbers, all deg.C to the nearest 0.5

Ambient

Processor

Idle (no Apps)

Yoshimi idle

Yoshimi playing arps from keyboard to Ghost Ensemble

Yoshimi + Rosegarden with East to West demo loaded but idle

After two runs

Yoshimi + Rosegarden with Well Really demo loaded but idle

After two runs

Some explanations:
The Pi starts to throttle at 80, so this is safe but not ideal.

Tests were done with 008. 003 seemed to give a similar result for the first static test, so I didn't bother beyond that. The first measurement was made after idling for about 2 hours to ensure the temperate was settled, for the same reason the other idle measurements were made 30 minutes after the state had been set.

When yoshimi is idle, it isn't really! Even though there is no sound, (silent) audio is being calculated, generated and sent to the interface, so the difference with running values are pretty much down to the calculations being made at each note on. The more parts there are enabled, the more work is being done, and the tests are done with; just one part , 10 parts and 15 parts.

Rosegarden adds some extra work of course, and this is almost entirely dependent on the running status.

The received wisdom is that the small finned heatsinks make very little difference in an enclosed environment unless air is being moved over them, or unless they have thermal connection to a metal enclosure. The second option would be very difficult to arrange with any reliability, but there is space inside for a 30mm fan blowing across the board, so that's a possibility. This would be easy with 004 onwards, not so much with the earlier ones. I'll see if I can get hold of one and do further tests, for both performance and noise.

In an extreme situation for 004 onwards, it would be possible to cut a hole, in the blank side and fit a larger fan there drawing in outside air, but I'd prefer to avoid that!
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

Ho Hum an error in the arpeggiator call, but fixable.

In Apps, while holding down Shift, double-click on the 'QmidiArp' icon. This will open a new window with two files.

Again while holding down Shift, double-click on 'AppRun' which will load it into a text editor.
Add ' -a' to the command so it becomes:

qmidiarp -a

(don't forget the space)
Resave it, and the job's done.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

Having loads of free time - HAR! I've managed to build a pair of apps, the first of which will fetch-build-test the latest version. Once you're satisfied it's tickety-boo you can run the second to actually install it. This way any kind of build failure won't break the existing install.

The first time these are used it will be necessary to use the synaptic package manager to install an extra system file, so I'll wrap all of this up with instructions and post it somewhere.

I'll also include an archiver program (never thought it would be needed) but on this occasion it will have to be unarchived from the terminal window - instructions for that will also be in the text file. Actually I might just put the text file here when it's all ready to go :)
Folderol
Jedi Poster