Here we go -- single-skiff performance synth in 104hp?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Here we go -- single-skiff performance synth in 104hp?

Post by Ben Asaro »

First successful test flight of the rig! Here's a run through of each voice playing the same pattern over the bassline, and then all of them playing the same pattern in unison. Aside from the M32, they all hold their tuning remarkably well. :D In fact, I can't even tell when the first two voices switch from Oscillation VCO 1 to VCO2, they sound that close to each other.

https://soundcloud.com/asfollowswriting ... rig-test-2

I hear one small fix: the Blackhole needs some predelay, but aside from that, I think the voices are as tweaked as they need to be to get something written.

The only thing on my "wish" list is a different output/headphone module. I've noticed that Rosie is definitely cutting some of the low freqs off, and the output is quite low; I have to add quite a bit of gain to record, which means it will be the same for FoH (or front of stream, as the case may be).

Otherwise, I'm VERY happy with the results so far!

The only element I need to incorporate now is something to actually perform on... and I really feel that this needs a wash of strings. In any event, I'm glad to be moving past Phase I of this project!!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2357 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by Guest »

Sounding good :)

Post by Ben Asaro »

Thanks!

I added the final element last night: the KeyStep and JV-1010 set to a slow string patch. The JV-1010's diminutive size makes it perfect for this application.

Everything is starting to sound suitably atmospheric and dark now lol. I will need to add some processing to the strings, which will be the final step towards getting this done; probably some phase shifter/flange and a good dose of Space Echo. :)

My plan now is to get the RV-500, Blackhole, and whatever effects I use for the JV-1010 onto one of my Pedal Train boards and get that down on to the floor and off the shelf, as it's not really needed there. That should free up some valuable real estate...
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Ben Asaro »

Connected my poor-man's string machine yesterday, and it works a treat! Slow string patch on the JV-1010 > MXR Script 90 > BOSS RE-20 Space Echo > Eventide Space Echo.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PkcHzknMgjHGqnkW9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Gv4a96sNtMREaZ1i7

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oFUaZ7kGKPukP8Md6
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Guest »

It would be nice to see a photo of the entire rig being used.

Post by Ben Asaro »

Full performance pics/video coming soon! I'll snap an as-done pic when I've sorted out the pedals, though.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Guest »

:thumbup:

Post by Arpangel »

Ben, a friend came to New York about twenty years ago, he’s a musician, he loved it, I’m sure it’s changed massively since then, but he did comment on the alternative music scene, how buoyant it was, and how people were very receptive, and wanted to know what you were doing etc, he didn’t want to come back to the UK, he said it was a very positive atmosphere in NY creatively.
Are there still plenty of opportunities to play? underground clubs, interesting venues etc?
If I come there I’d like to have a good look around and check out a few places, even though it’s changed, also, check out a few modular dealers, and music shops.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

The NYC music scene of today, post 2010, is almost unrecognizable from the scene of yesteryear. Music Row disintegrated to dust, all the shops are gone or scattered. The big loss to us was 48th St Custom Guitars, that was possibly more legendary than Manny's. There are a couple of music stores of note still here, but they are very much diminished compared to what they used to be.

In terms of venues, some styles of music (like jazz and alt rock) continue to survive, if not thrive. However, once NYU gobbled up the majority of the real estate from Union Square through the East Village and into Alphabet City and the West Village, they closed down MANY legendary venues like The Bottom Line and CBGB. With them went all of the classic dive bars that subsisted from the venues, like Holiday Cocktail Lounge and Mars Bar.

It's not totally bleak, however, as one of the advantages of being the Hipster Capital of the World means a healthy dose of counterculture. The modular/synth scene is BOOMING here, with New York Modular Society being a large network of modular/synth enthusiasts that regularly holds meets and shows. They had 2 just this past week, which I've been too busy to attend lol.

For shops, we have Control, one of the best-curated modular shops in the US, right here in Brooklyn.

I hope that answers your question!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Ben Asaro »

double post
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Arpangel »

Thanks Ben, we’re aiming for next spring, if things even vaguely get back to normal. We want to stay for about a month, a couple of excursions into Canada, if we can make it, Ontario, at least that’s on the same side as NY!
We want to visit Control, go to a few clubs, just chill out, and also go to Grant Avenue Studio in Hamilton, Ontario, it’s a special place for me, like a pilgrimage.
Even though the scene in NY has all but disappeared, I have to go, I’ll just stand there and soak up the vibes of the past, it’s still a great place for me, it’s just got to be done.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

There's an AMAZING synth studio here that we can book for a few hours and have a jam!

https://tonetweakers.com/blogs/news/the ... o-in-nyc-1
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)