CD burning

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

CD burning

Post by baward »

Very last century I know, but when burning a music CD in Music, the process hangs at the "...finishing" stage.

Has CD burning (I'm trying to do it from a playlist in Apple Music, although problems remain even when trying to burn in the finder) been hobbled? I know that the whole optical media thing has largely been abandoned with Apple.
baward
Regular

Re: CD burning

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

Has this happened multiple times, with different brands of discs from different batches? Do you have any other CD burning software to check if it's the drive that is at fault? It could well be that CD burning was not tested in house by Apple in a very long time. You could report the bug to them, although googling that right now it doesn't seem like it's possible for anyone who is not a developer. If I have time I will check it with my own system.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2552 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by baward »

Thanks. I have borrowed my friend's CD/DVD/Bluray burner, and the same thing is happening, with a disc from a different batch and with even an ancient CD-RW. Which suggests to me that it's something awry with the Mac's CD burning abilities, but I am no expert.

It's actually quite hard to find software which can burn an audio CD, from what I've found. I used to have Toast 11 (I think), which worked fine but can't be used under Catalina. I'll keep on hunting around for other burning software.
baward
Regular

Post by Kwackman »

Which Mac & which OS are you using?
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3206 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

baward wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:49 pm It's actually quite hard to find software which can burn an audio CD

Try the demo of this:
https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/cd-b ... -MQAvD_BwE
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by rockydennis »

I've used Burn for Mac successfully, and it's free.
https://burn-osx.sourceforge.io
rockydennis
Regular

Post by baward »

Tomás Mulcahy wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:30 pm
baward wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:49 pm It's actually quite hard to find software which can burn an audio CD

Try the demo of this:
https://hofa-plugins.de/en/plugins/cd-b ... -MQAvD_BwE

Many thanks. I have an 2015 iMac with Catalina.
baward
Regular

Post by baward »

rockydennis wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:02 pm I've used Burn for Mac successfully, and it's free.
https://burn-osx.sourceforge.io

Many thanks.
baward
Regular

Post by ef37a »

Hi Barward, if this is something you will need to do frequently you could probably pickup an old W7 laptop for next to nothing, does not have to be 'Deep Thought'.

I have an HP g6 i3 that burns CD and DVD very well. I use Nero but there are plenty of freebies about (VLC?) . You would of course need to export the file as 16 bit, 44.1kHz .wav.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Arpangel »

I always burn my CD's from Reaper, always works fine, I’m on High Sierra, using a Mac CD drive.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Kwackman »

baward wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 8:27 pmI have an 2015 iMac with Catalina.

My 2010 Mac Pro only goes as far as Mojave, which is the version just before Catalina. So, all I can tell you is that you could burn audio CDs in Mojave. Good luck in your quest!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3206 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

Arpangel wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:10 am I always burn my CD's from Reaper, always works fine, I’m on High Sierra, using a Mac CD drive.

Thanks for this, I did not know CD burning is another of Reaper's features. Is there anything they did not think of? :)
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster (Level2)