Reaper and X-Touch One not on speaking terms

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Reaper and X-Touch One not on speaking terms

Post by FrankF »

Greetings pop pickers,
I've just taken delivery of a new X-Touch One, and I've configured it for Reaper as indicated in the Quick Start Guide, but nothing responds to it in Reaper - not the transport buttons, the fader, the CH change buttons: diddly squat, in fact.

Also, the X-Touch display is blank apart from "rE", to indicate that it's assigned to Reaper.
In MIDI DEVICES, the X-Touch is enabled for both input and output, and I've also just enabled CLOCK, but still no joy.

I'm sure there's a simple tweak in Reaper that I'm missing, but what the blazing saddles is it?
FrankF
Regular
Posts: 450 Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:00 am Location: La Vendée, France

Re: Reaper and X-Touch One not on speaking terms

Post by Drew Stephenson »

If you go to Options > Preferences > Control/OSC/web
Does it appear there? That's where my BCF2000 appears when it's configured for MCU operation.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by FrankF »

Ah, we're almost up and running - thanks for that, blinddrew!

I "added" the X-Touch in that dialog box you mentioned, and now the transport buttons and fader work, but not much else, and I'm getting an error msg every time I use the X-touch, saying "the following midi inputs/outputs could not be opened - X-Touch One", so I'm guessing I'm in some kind of generic control mode.

I'll have another look at it tomorrow and then report back.
FrankF
Regular

Does the x-touch have different operating modes? And if so, which one is it in now?
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster

Post by FrankF »

To be honest, I don't have a clue what I'm doing:
I just "added" the X-touch via the Control/Osc/Web dialogue that you mentioned, although it isn't listed.
I can see your BCF2000, Faderport, and a couple of other devices, but no X-touch.
Now I've just started Reaper again, and I'm back to a completely unresponsive X-touch, with no display or anything.
FrankF
Regular

I think you'll need to check the manual on the X-Touch and see what mode it's in, because that will determine how Reaper sees it.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster

Post by FrankF »

blinddrew wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:08 pm Does the x-touch have different operating modes? And if so, which one is it in now?

Sorry, to answer your question: the LCD says "Mode MC Reaper", but I had to power it on YET AGAIN in config mode to get it to show that.

Surely I don't have to reconfigure it every time I switch it on? :evil:
FrankF
Regular

I wouldn't have thought so. I'm trying to remember who here has one up and running with Reaper, I think it might be Music Wolf?
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster

Post by Rich Hanson »

I've no experience with this particular device, but I have written controller code for Reaper - first thing to check is that in the standard Reaper MIDI setup all the X-Touch i/o should _not_ be selected, they should only be assigned in the controller setup as they can't be selected in both.

I fell afoul of that one initially.
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3291 Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: Sort of near Rochester, Kent, UK

Post by FrankF »

Rich Hanson wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:36 pm first thing to check is that in the standard Reaper MIDI setup all the X-Touch i/o should _not_ be selected, they should only be assigned in the controller setup as they can't be selected in both.

I fell afoul of that one initially.

Er, I think I understood that!
So I've "disabled" the X-touch for i/o in Prefs / MIDI Devices, but how do I activate it in Prefs / Control / Osc /Sub if it isn't listed?
I can see Faderport /Tranzplant / BCF2000 and half a dozen others, and a couple of generic Mackie / Hui options.
I find it very strange that NONE of the X-touch models are present, but the older Behringer BCF2000 is, especially as this device comes with a Reaper overlay. :roll:
FrankF
Regular

Two thoughts, what if you try one of the generic Mackie modes?
And have you tried the X-touch on MCU standard mode?
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster

Post by FrankF »

blinddrew wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:23 pm Two thoughts, what if you try one of the generic Mackie modes?
And have you tried the X-touch on MCU standard mode?

Yes, I've tried several modes from those offered; I've tried unplugging the X-touch / stopping and starting Reaper over and over.

To be honest, I'm fed up with this device: if they sell it with a series of overlays, then it should work with all those daws w/o any problems, but from what I've just read on the Reaper forum, people have written all kinds of scripts and workarounds to make it work even half as well as it should with Reaper.

So I'm on the point of boxing it up and sending it back.

So I wanted to ask you: how does your BCF work with Reaper? Are you happy with it? It seems, from a clip I watched on Reaper blog, that you can have faders, channels, transport control etc., with the most minor of tweakfaffing (or fafftweaking if you're easily offended).

There are a few BCFs for sale for not much money within driving distance, so I'm tempted to give it a go.
What say you? 8 faders instead of one, and for less money! (I really wanted a scrub facility, though, as it works wonders on my old digi-multitracker).
FrankF
Regular