New synth challenge -- scoring a silent film!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New synth challenge -- scoring a silent film!

Post by Ben Asaro »

Martin Walker wrote:
Ben Asaro wrote:Since I started setting up the JV-1080 as a single Berlin School synth

You've just blown my mind! :shocked:

Martin

HA! I know, changing horses mid race. :)

But it's hard to act on inspiration when it takes 45 minutes before I can even get in-tune notes from the modular. :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2357 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by Ben Asaro »

Switching up my approach was definitely the right move on this one. Using USB from my Mac to sync everything is making things move along at a much quicker pace, besides not having to faff around with tuning discrepancies. Having a palette of sounds ready to go also helps immensely. Overall, I'm very pleased with the workflow!

Revisiting the opening re inspired me to try a new compositional approach and as the opening credits are only about 30 seconds long it was also an exercise in being concise! :D

I typically break things out when I'm tracking, but in this case I'm just getting the balance right and recording Outputs 1 and 2 from the JV-1080 simultaneously (including effects). I like being committed to getting it right and then moving on.

The opening motive (FMaj - BbMaj - CSus4- CMaj - F) is simple and catchy and that V-I resolution at the end sounds great!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Ben Asaro »

Fired up the Lyra-8 for the next two scenes, hopefully I’ll be able to come up with something suitable today. If so, I’ll be caught up to where I left off prior to switching from the modular to the JV-1080.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Ben Asaro »

The Lyra-8 + sawtooth brass from the JV-1080 is a beautiful sounding combination. Glad I got the TU-3S, it made integrating the Lyra-8 shed loads easier!

Almost at the one quarter mark for the film!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Michael Johnson »

Following this thread! This is an idea I've wanted to execute for awhile now, too. Rooting for you and I can't wait to see/hear your work.
Michael Johnson

Post by Ben Asaro »

Michael Johnson wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:00 pm Following this thread! This is an idea I've wanted to execute for awhile now, too. Rooting for you and I can't wait to see/hear your work.

Thanks! It’s still going strong, I had a small setback as I was trying to figure out how I wanted to do this, but now that I’ve got that settled, it’s full steam ahead! :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Ben Asaro »

Time for an update!

A studio re-org put this on hold for a few weeks, but now that I have my modular set up for performance, I've been writing quite a bit of music and have found a way to kill two birds with one stone. :)

As I tend to write rather large pieces divided into sections, I am collecting the live pieces and using them to score the movie. My goals are the same: fill about 60 minutes of time with music; but as a live piece has different requirements from a film score, I will treat each section as it's own separate theme to be used (or reused if I'm setting up leitmotifs) where it fits the film better!

I'm really excited about this prospect and in having the same music being used in totally different presentations!

I think perhaps the most important/useful thing that I've got out of the re-org is a set palette of sounds; option anxiety had me doubting my choices and going back to the beginning over and over as I changed my approach. Now I have no choice: the sounds are what they are! This has forced me to get down to business and get on with it!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by IAA »

:clap: looking forward to this Ben!! Keep going! I envy your discipline having prevaricated over my own EP release….which I’ve now earmarked for Autumn rather than Summer :tongue: I’ll be clearer on year soon :headbang:
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

I find that the only way I'm productive is if I'm tough on myself with deadlines.

In the words of Douglas Adams, "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.”
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by resistorman »

Good for you! I'm doing a lot of work on the house, but I've also been reorganizing and simplifying my studio, getting rid of things I don't use, prepping for what I figure is gonna be another lockdown winter. I hope to do better creatively this time. Maybe scoring a silent film would give me a project... I like to use material for multiple things too.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Ben Asaro »

First 20 minutes of music is nearly in the can; it's on the rim. :)

The synth freight train is now at full steam and it looks like I might hit my deadline after all! :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Martin Walker »

Ben Asaro wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:48 pm First 20 minutes of music is nearly in the can; it's on the rim. :)

The synth freight train is now at full steam and it looks like I might hit my deadline after all! :D

Well that sounds positive! :thumbup:

Still looking forward to hearing some of it in due course.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK