Which 24-track interface?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Which 24-track interface?

Post by The Red Bladder »

We decided yesterday that the 48-track Radar is just no longer providing fast enough turn-around and that we need a 24-IO interface that can be used together with any DAW and will be acceptable for any visiting engineers.

The ideal candidate would be extremely easy to use, be capable of stand-alone recording and export via USB-3 to an SSD caddy, or have such a caddy drive built in. It would also act as the IO for any installed or visiting PC or Mac.

We use a 60-frame desk and the IOs to and from the patchbay are on D-Subs. So we obviously do not need mic-pres or any gimmicks or toys built in.

With our move to being a film and TV studio, we no longer need 48 IOs, but we do need the ability to swap-out SSDs and give customers their recordings either that way or on their memory sticks.

What do the assembled cognoscenti recommend? I am open to suggestions at all levels of the market.
Last edited by The Red Bladder on Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3313 Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:00 am Location: . . .

Re: Which 24-track interface?

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

One of the Blackbox machines?
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38954 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

I couldn't remember their name - yes! Just the ticket! I'll give them a call.

I've just read your review here https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/jo ... x-recorder

Thanks!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster

Post by James Perrett »

I'd echo Hugh's suggestion for one of the JoeCo devices - the Blue Box range are the ones with audio interface functionality AFAIK.

The other alternative would be one of the RME interfaces with built in recording coupled with some of the Ferrofish (or similar high channel count) convertors. If you use the UFX+ you get a MADI connection which simplifies connections when using high channel counts.
James Perrett
Posts: 14346 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Humble Bee »

Humble Bee
Regular
Posts: 395 Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:00 am Location: Cloughton Newlands

Post by fatbenelton »

Not stand alone, but the TB2 Presonus Quantum 4848 (32 I/O on Dsubs plus 16 Adat) is cheap enough that you may consider that and a stand alone device....apparently won a blind shoot out with Apogee, but whether it did or not it still sounds perfectly fine.
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Posts: 701 Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:00 am Location: Liverpool, UK
Jonny

Post by ore_terra »

fatbenelton wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:56 pm Not stand alone, but the TB2 Presonus Quantum 4848 (32 I/O on Dsubs plus 16 Adat) is cheap enough that you may consider that and a stand alone device....apparently won a blind shoot out with Apogee, but whether it did or not it still sounds perfectly fine.

I have one of those and like it very much… but it has no internal mixer that allows you to have it routed directly to an external device
ore_terra
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1067 Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:56 pm Location: Seville - Spain
casmoestudio.com

Post by fatbenelton »

True but was thinking easy to integrate with the studio mixer for real routing as opposed to virtual.
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Posts: 701 Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:00 am Location: Liverpool, UK
Jonny

Post by Arpangel »

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/external-au ... gIR-vD_BwE

One of these, great sound, reliable, easy to use.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Arpangel wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:48 am https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/external-au ... gIR-vD_BwE

I don't see any analogue inputs on that thing!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

The Red Bladder wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:56 am
Arpangel wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:48 am https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/external-au ... gIR-vD_BwE

Oh dear! failed to notice that!
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Mixedup »

JoeCo BlueBox or BlackBox of some sort is probably is the closest thing to what you want, since it does computerless recording.

Cymatic is the affordable alternative. But it can't do individual track overdubs/punch ins etc. On the plus side, it has a MADI card option.

Surrely a computer can do the USB transfer though? I'm using an RME MADIFace USB with Ferrofish converters and very happy. You'd just need a suitable drive system... but USB would work. Some of the other MADIFace and equivalent options might appeal too — with Dante, AVB options etc, and with a couple of analogue I/O and headphone out built in. Might be a better option for visiting clients. Digiface USB would be cheaper if ADAT suits — 32 channels at base sample rates, 16 at x2 etc.

But... if you're happy with the RADAR converters/sound, there are ADAT/MADI options for that... just add an ADAT/MADI interface and you might have what you want already, no?
Mixedup
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4548 Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

First off - thanks everybody for the suggestions. Esp. Hugh for jogging my memory on the JoCo range!
Mixedup wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:10 am JoeCo BlueBox or BlackBox of some sort is probably is the closest thing to what you want, since it does computerless recording.

It looks like the BlueBox with 24 analogue IOs is going to be the winner! I have been chatting to Jo Bull and it ticks all the boxes I need to see ticked and does not provide needless features that we do not need.

Mixedup wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:10 amCymatic is the affordable alternative. But it can't do individual track overdubs/punch ins etc. On the plus side, it has a MADI card option.

The U-Track-24 could act as an emergency back-up machine and as a multitrack for the post room.

Mixedup wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:10 am But... if you're happy with the RADAR converters/sound, there are ADAT/MADI options for that... just add an ADAT/MADI interface and you might have what you want already, no?

Not any more! We need to record IN the DAW and not export to the DAW. As much as the Radar is pish-easy to use, FTP'ing stuff back and forth is not an option. Some sessions can be over two hours long and the tracks have to be instantly available within PT, Reaper, CuBase, whatever! At the same time, we have to be able to integrate all analogue FX within the Daw environment via the desk.

So BlueBox it is - and the price is really low, given the quality of the thing.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster

Post by James Perrett »

The Red Bladder wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:56 am

There's the 24ai which has analogue inputs instead of the analogue outputs.
James Perrett

Post by Mixedup »

The Red Bladder wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:51 pmNot any more! We need to record IN the DAW and not export to the DAW. As much as the Radar is pish-easy to use, FTP'ing stuff back and forth is not an option.

Moot now, if you've settled on the BlueBox (a perfectly good choice!), but can you not just use the RADAR as a set of converters, with the inputs relayed over ADAT/MADI to an interface? I've not used a RADAR that way (and not used one for years!) but I can use my Alesis HD24 like that, for example. You'd need the right RADAR card of course...
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Mixedup wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:13 pm can you not just use the RADAR as a set of converters, with the inputs relayed over ADAT/MADI to an interface? I've not used a RADAR that way (and not used one for years!) but I can use my Alesis HD24 like that, for example. You'd need the right RADAR card of course...

That is a perfectly good question (and a philosophically good one!) - but if I did that, it would be symptomatic of gear obsession and I need to concentrate on what is important - and that is what happens on the other side of the glass and how to convert that into an end product for the punter!

The customer is always 100% of what I have to think about and we are moving from catering to musicians, producers and labels, to producing end product.

Our new business model is to worry about the end user and not the business user. The end user cares nothing for what you used to get to an end product.
All that matters is to get to that product.

By getting rid of the Radar, I can get to that end product a bit quicker!

Over the past few years, I have seen companies like Avid, Apple, Adobe and others, expect me to pay them money and simultaneously jump through hoops of their invention. That ain't gonna happen!

The digital nerd community seem to think that I and everybody else has nothing better to do than install this, configure that, and download the other. What I need above all other considerations is speed and simplicity.

I employ someone to deal with finances because I do not have the time or the inclination to pratt about with bookkeeping software and rubbish like car insurance and dealing with pin-headed officials. Similarly, I have two accountancy firms on tap to deal with the likes of HMRC and the German Finanzamt. The last thing I need is for our core activity to be polluted by complication.

(More than a bit of a rant - but who knows! Maybe some tech developer or exec will read this and learn to keep things simple. We do not need more pointless features and protocols outside of WAV and USB. And don't get me started on the absurdity of film/video formats!)
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster

Post by James Perrett »

The Red Bladder wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:51 pm It looks like the BlueBox with 24 analogue IOs is going to be the winner! I have been chatting to Jo Bull and it ticks all the boxes I need to see ticked and does not provide needless features that we do not need.
So BlueBox it is - and the price is really low, given the quality of the thing.

Given that the team behind the JoeCo boxes is the same team who designed Sadie, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
James Perrett

Post by Mixedup »

Oh. That's anteresting take on it... I wasn't thinking of gear obsession. More of simplicity. From a user POV it would be one USB cable to the computer, one USB drive caddy if you want to use one. Job done. But as I and others say, the JoeCo BB should be a perfectly good solution and it's certainly a neat one. The RADAR should still command a price that will offset some of the cost, too....
Mixedup
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Mixedup wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:58 am Oh. That's anteresting take on it... I wasn't thinking of gear obsession. More of simplicity. From a user POV it would be one USB cable to the computer, one USB drive caddy if you want to use one. Job done. But as I and others say, the JoeCo BB should be a perfectly good solution and it's certainly a neat one. The RADAR should still command a price that will offset some of the cost, too....

RADAR is amazing, even by today’s standards, better in terms of sound quality "in my opinion"
I’d love one, but I’m afraid it’d just sit there unused, like most of my other stuff these days.
I can understand the workflow thing, it is annoying in a lot of ways, and if you want to transfer files quickly, you’re better off with something else.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by The Korff »

fatbenelton wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:56 pm Not stand alone, but the TB2 Presonus Quantum 4848 (32 I/O on Dsubs plus 16 Adat) is cheap enough that you may consider that and a stand alone device....apparently won a blind shoot out with Apogee, but whether it did or not it still sounds perfectly fine.

I read the post title and came here to recommend same! The fantastically low latency of those Quanta is also a big plus — but as you say, no standalone recording... For that, I think the JoeCo recommendations are pretty spot on, though the RME UFX boxes would also tick the same sort of box (although they're less console-friendly, with half their inputs on the front and half on the back, and in a variety of TRS/XLR/ADAT/etc formats).
The Korff
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2272 Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:28 am Location: The Wrong Precinct