Belief in the Music we make

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Belief in the Music we make

Post by RichardT »

awjoe wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 5:40 pm
RichardT wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:34 pm ...for example I feel that Bach is better than Vivaldi, and Mahler better than Vaughan Williams.

"Bach is better than Vivaldi"= I like Bach better than Vivaldi

Hope you agree with my tweak.

So, if 'Air on a G String' moves you more than anything you've ever written yourself, does that mean you don't believe in your own stuff as much? From what you've said, it sounds like you believe in your own stuff as long as it achieves a certain standard of excellence.

Yes, that's what it comes down to - even though I feel one is better than the other, I know that doesn't have any objective basis.
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4075 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by awjoe »

Okay, we seem to be on the same, or a similar, page. So can we go a bit deeper on this one? This thread title caught my attention right away, and right from the start I was having trouble with the meaning of 'believe in' - that terminology doesn't really seem to apply to my attitude toward my own music. I mean, do you 'believe in' your body, for example? I don't 'believe in' my body and I don't 'believe in' my music - they're both just facts of existence.

Maybe it would be easier for me to deal with questions like:

How much do you like your own music?

What is your music worth to you?

If I understand tea for two correctly, he's (she's?) saying you have to feel your music has an inherent positive value, even if you compare it to other people's music.
awjoe
Jedi Poster
Chronologically blessed.

Post by GilesAnt »

Of course Bach is better than Vivaldi - there was a quote somewhere about Vivaldi not writing 200 concertos, but writing one concerto 200 times.
GilesAnt
Regular

Post by RichardT »

awjoe wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:31 pm Okay, we seem to be on the same, or a similar, page. So can we go a bit deeper on this one? This thread title caught my attention right away, and right from the start I was having trouble with the meaning of 'believe in' - that terminology doesn't really seem to apply to my attitude toward my own music. I mean, do you 'believe in' your body, for example? I don't 'believe in' my body and I don't 'believe in' my music - they're both just facts of existence.

Maybe it would be easier for me to deal with questions like:

How much do you like your own music?

What is your music worth to you?

If I understand tea for two correctly, he's (she's?) saying you have to feel your music has an inherent positive value, even if you compare it to other people's music.

I think Tea For Two means something different by ‘believe’ than ‘believe in the existence of’ but that’s just my interpretation. I interpret them to mean ‘believe it’s worthwhile’. So I think you’re right.
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4075 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Having completed two SOS forum album projects, being in the process of preparing the 3rd for release, having heard the works submitted to Dave B's several epic One Synth Challenges and having bought more albums than I care to mention from forum members with Bandcamp offerings it's clear that there is a wide variety of excellent music being produced by people in our own Sound On Sound community.

Many folks here massively undersell themselves IMHO. I would name names but I don't want to embarrass anyone. Sure, many of us have a ways to go to improve our mixing and engineering chops but a number of folks here are superb at those skills.

I 'believe' in the music I create but I'm equally aware my weaknesses mainly lie in the engineering, though I continually work on it and it's improving with input from the folks who generously take the time to help when I ask, either directly or through the Self Promotion forum which I can recommend highly.

It's easy to conflate good music with good engineering. I've heard the works of many amateurs/hobbyists who wouldn't claim to know one end of a mic' from the other but who write, record and provide (on SoundCloud, Bandcamp and so on) brilliant material.

A few people get to the point where they can both create original material and engineer it to a high standard but if you can't engineer as well as you'd like then that certainly has no bearing on the music itself.

I know with certainty there are a number of 'undiscovered gems' amongst our membership because I've heard their work and if anyone takes the trouble and time to seek them out it's greatly worth the effort as a lot of them don't promote themselves for one reason or another.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Eddy Deegan »

blinddrew wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:09 am I came to terms, a while back, that the reason I never got beyond my brief recording deal was that as a musician i'm simply not good enough.

I was digging back in a forum search looking for something completely different and saw this along the way.

I don't want to blow smoke up the proverbial Drew but I disagree with your conclusion. The finer points of engineering and musicianship are always up for discussion but heaven knows it's something we all work at. The Zukans and Elfs of this world leave most of us in the dust on the former and in addition to them there are more people still who can help the latter but you're certainly able to render worthy renditions of your musical works.

Maybe you didn't find the right A&R person, or whatever the equivalent is these days, but in terms of lyricism/storytelling my humble opinion is that you're right up there with the best of them and those strengths have enormous potential were you to be aligned with someone who can 'embrace and extend' such things as chord progressions and formal musical chops.

You could read that as a criticism but it's anything but. I know more than one artist who has taken their work to the next level by getting help with things that aren't their comfort zone whether it's engineering, arrangement or contributing sections of original composition. Meanwhile they've been able to focus on their own strengths and responding/working with that qualified input.

Your recent invite for others to collaborate with you is a wonderful idea and with a little patience, I think it'll yield great results.
Eddy Deegan

Post by awjoe »

@ GilesAnt

Mm. How many concertos did Bach write? I'm familiar with six.
awjoe
Jedi Poster
Chronologically blessed.

Post by awjoe »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:37 pm I would name names but I don't want to embarrass anyone.

We could all name names.

Eddy Deegan wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:37 pm
the Self Promotion forum which I can recommend highly.

Me too, but you know what? What I would like to hear is music being made (or contributed to) by the SOSers (saucers?) who don't post their stuff in the self-promotion forum. Just saying there must be a *ton* of music made by people here which never gets heard by people here. Am I wrong? Can I get a witness?

(Gets off soap box, heads back to self promotion forum)
awjoe
Jedi Poster
Chronologically blessed.

Post by tea for two »

blinddrew wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:09 am I came to terms, a while back, that the reason I never got beyond my brief recording deal was that as a musician i'm simply not good enough.
So for me it's all about trying to write songs that are as good as I can get them

I took nearly a decade breather from making music (late 2010 to late 2019 although I widdled on ipad in between, brought some gear) after I realised how limited I am.

It was liberating, brought a sense of peace inside me this realisation.

::

awjoe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:02 pm When I listen to Bach or Vivaldi (or Aldous Harding or Hank Williams), I'm lost in admiration, appreciation, and love for the beauty of their music. But I'm not responsible for their music. It's their music, not mine. But my attitude to my own music is different - I'm responsible for it. The danger of harsh self-judgement is so present that I simply don't go there. I can't afford it. Or rather, the creative process can't afford it. It thrives on being nurtured, not being attacked.

I totally agree with this. Others music is others. Ours is our.
This why I wrote we can hold up our music to any music in history of music because it is personal to us same as famous musicians music is personal to them.
We can't hold it up in terms of theory, compositional musical ability yet that is different from the personal belief in our music.

It's this personal belief that should help us nurture our musical self.

John Stafford wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:25 pm I always have ideas for music I want to write,

I'm not going to rival the late Beethoven quartets, but so what? I'm not going to win 100m at the Olympics either. It's still fun to watch.

Exactly. Music in its Source is never about comparing, rivalry (some musicians have made it so).
Music in its Source is about the personal impact it has upon us.

RichardT wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:34 pm For me it’s important that I think my music is ‘good’ rather than just ‘mine’ before I release it. I guess I mean it has a good architecture, and sense of flow, and that it gets me emotionally. If it doesn’t ‘work’ I won’t release it.

This judgement is an essential aspect of making music.
What to keep and polish, to cut and cull, to alter improve.

I would never put on an album any of my doodlings. As they are pants. Yet I still belive in my doodlings to keep on doodling lol.

RichardT wrote:

I think Tea For Two means something different by ‘believe’ than ‘believe in the existence of’ but that’s just my interpretation. I interpret them to mean ‘believe it’s worthwhile’. So I think you’re right.

Maybe this

I'm finishing an album working on final track it's 5th on the album.
In myself I have belief in the melodic music for this album.
It is this belief that makes me make music for this album.

Yet if anyone anywhere, excluding family, said let's have a listen I'd shrug blow a raspberry eurrrggghh it's just doodling :  no confidence.

I gave an album to a Grammy winning Mastering Engineer last year to be mastered yet I never released the album even though I believe in the album.

Arpangel wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:29 am I have a friend who is a song writer,
I’ve been on a recording session with him, he knows "exactly"what he wants, he’s 150% confident that was he is doing is right, and it will work, and it does.
... he always works to a formula, everything is pre-planned, to the last detail
I just wish, I had his confidence, and certainty about what I do.

He sounds like Hitchcock lol. Hitchcok said he pre-planned everything to the last detail before filming. Then it was just following through.

As a teen to mid 20s I was brimming with confidence. Then as with most of us life hits, knocked the stuffing outta me / us.
I don't think I will ever be confident and I'm grateful because in return it has brought several other things that's been enriching.

Eddy Deegan wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:37 pm Having completed two SOS forum album projects, being in the process of preparing the 3rd for release, having heard the works submitted to Dave B's several epic One Synth Challenges and having bought more albums than I care to mention from forum members with Bandcamp offerings it's clear that there is a wide variety of excellent music being produced by people in our own Sound On Sound community.

Many folks here massively undersell themselves IMHO.

I 'believe' in the music I create but I'm equally aware my weaknesses mainly lie in the engineering, though I continually work on it

For sure.

I mentioned in Musicians Lounge if I had the connections I would given SoS forum album to the Cohen Brothers, Wes Anderson, to be included in their Movies. This is the confidence I have in the music on those SoS forum albums.

Belief in our music is essential to keep on making music. We need not have confidence in our music.
At the same time awareness of our weaknesses to improve where we can without beating up ourself.

Humbleness Humility in our compositional, musical ability is preferable to confidence I would say. Yet to become a musical *star* somehow have to blag being confident "fake it till you make it" kinda.
tea for two
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by Eddy Deegan »

awjoe wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:39 amWhat I would like to hear is music being made (or contributed to) by the SOSers (saucers?) who don't post their stuff in the self-promotion forum. Just saying there must be a *ton* of music made by people here which never gets heard by people here.

Absolutely - that was pretty much what I was trying to say but you put it better :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan

Post by Folderol »

Interesting topic generally. It wouldn't be possible for me to not believe in the music I make. Sometimes I feel a bit of a fraud in that the best ideas seem to just arrive without conscious effort on my part - often in the middle of the night!

My take on this is that music is just a part of me. I never made a decision like 'I want to be a musician'. Things just happened. When I was a kid, there was a beat-up wood framed piano at home and I started messing about on it. Soon I was playing simple tunes on it.
I think I previously mentioned being inspired by a glass model sailing ship when I was 14. I held the basic melody for that in my head for years before I had the kit to be able to reproduce it. That was not a decision. I just found myself humming it from time to time.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18065 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by ManFromGlass »

I attended a Zoom talk from a person who worked in the Hollywood film music scene. She said that sometimes success in that business is down to who you know, so networking is important.
Other times it’s just dumb luck - being in the right place at the right time, having your track show up on the right desk exactly when a track like that is needed.
So do we control our destinies or are we just blown about by the winds of karma?

Folderol’s got posted before I finished typing. For me never any question about doing music and related. It just unfolded that way.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6645 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada