Scan - Anyone else had problems?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Scan - Anyone else had problems?

Post by Guest »

I’m after a UAD Octo, Scan have a good price for this and in stock.

The last two times I have tried to order something in stock from Scan for next day delivery, one day after the delivery was meant to occur I got an email saying something along the lines of “warehouse problems, we will try to deliver when available”. Then the hassle of cancelling.

Have I just been unlucky or should I just pay the extra 120 quid and get it from someone I trust?

Re: Scan - Anyone else had problems?

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I've not used them a lot, but I've not had any delivery problems with the 3 or 4 occasions I have used them. Not used them in the last 6 months though.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by James Perrett »

I notice that they now have a disclaimer in red about stock being allocated on a first come first serve basis on all their pages and that it may take a few days for orders to be fulfilled. I'm not sure how that ties in with the stock levels shown for each item.

They've always been reliable whenever I've ordered from them but I haven't ordered anything from them for a while. My last couple of gear orders went to Studiocare in Liverpool who delivered when they said they would.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Guest »

Thanks guys.

I think I might go for spending a bit more and getting it elsewhere.

Post by fatbenelton »

Always been fine on the couple of occasions I’ve used them. Is there an option to telephone and check/reserve the item before ordering?
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Posts: 700 Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:00 am Location: Liverpool, UK
Jonny

Post by The Red Bladder »

[ACCOUNT DELETED] wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:07 pm Have I just been unlucky or should I just pay the extra 120 quid and get it from someone I trust?

Everyone is having delivery and supply problems. If you go somewhere else, you may find yourself having even more problems. I have dealt with Scan a few times and their service has always been exemplary.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3298 Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:00 am Location: . . .

Post by shufflebeat »

Scan good, just don't try to phone them.

I think it's a common problem for anyone who doesn't have a hundred acres of storage space.

It seems to be a combination of the effects of Covid 19 and Brexit.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Drew Stephenson »

shufflebeat wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:08 am It seems to be a combination of the effects of Covid 19 and Brexit.

Plus the chip shortage.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by shufflebeat »

There weren't any chips served with my order which took a fair amount of time but valid point.

I've been mic and gadget shopping more than usual recently and it does seem to be pretty universal.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Music Wolf »

blinddrew wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:29 pm Plus the chip shortage.

That's bad news for the citizens of St Helens - they may starve :cry:

Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2753 Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 am Location: Exiled to St Helens

Post by Martin Walker »

blinddrew wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:29 pm
shufflebeat wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:08 am It seems to be a combination of the effects of Covid 19 and Brexit.

Plus the chip shortage.

Agreed, although it seems to be a general shortage of electronic components across the (circuit) board.

I've read of preamp/compressor manufacturers being rationed for input/output transformers, as there simply aren't enough in their manufacturer's inventory to fulfill all the outstanding orders. Some customers seem to be waiting several months for delivery of certain items, with units only being shipped out by the manufacturer once the latest out of stock component rations have been received.

It's getting mad out there! :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by ManFromGlass »

It took 6 months to get a mic pre repaired here due to parts not available. A second pre is in and I expect a similar time frame.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6645 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada