Zoom Livetrak L-20 Slate Feedback

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Zoom Livetrak L-20 Slate Feedback

Post by David_Youngs »

Hi folks,

Just bought an L-20 and really impressed so far, so many useful features and a lot of bang for your buck. One thing I really like is the multiple monitor mixes and the fact that you can use the in-built Slate mic to talk to the performers in their headphones (as well as write it to tracks).

In my use case, I'm sat at the desk with the master outs feeding and amp and speakers so that I can review/mix etc. as usual. The volume I work at isn't insanely loud. When I hit the slate button to talk to the performer, the slate mic gets routed to the master bus, and thus to my speakers and there's a massive feedback howl until I (quickly) let go of the slate button.

I presumed this was an RTFM issue but I checked all the section regarding slate routing (you can enable/disable which tracks it goes to via menu tweaking) and I havent yet found a way to stop the slate mic signal going to the master bus. The only kludge solution I have is to engage the master section's mute button before to pressing the slate button - that solves the issue but its easy to forget and a PITA.

Am I missing something? Anyone else got round this? I wrote to Zoom support a week ago, but nada yet, which is disappointing.

Any help gratefully received,

Cheers
David
David_Youngs
Poster

Re: Zoom Livetrak L-20 Slate Feedback

Post by MOF »

I think that because it’s called ‘live’trak it’s intended that you monitor with headphones, that way you won’t get feedback. A studio version would have a 20dB pad to mute the speakers sufficiently to avoid feedback.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by Airfix »

In the slate routing window there is an 'M'. If the M means monitor - that might be the answer
Airfix
Frequent Poster

Post by David_Youngs »

Hi all,

Yeah, the headphone monitoring scenario makes sense - although for me this is a big miss on an otherwise superb piece of kit.

The 'M' in the Slate Routing menu refers to Master, clearing/setting that box seems to make no difference at all in terms of sound coming out of the monitors sadly.

Still nothing back from Sound Service who are seemingly Zoom's UK support. Or not, so far :-(

Thanks for your replies!
David
David_Youngs
Poster