Guitar EQ-ed to the level where it almost tilts over to losing the required sound.
By cutting a bit more on the guitar when other parts should have more focus I manage to somewhat preserve the tick jazz octave sound. While there is more separation, there is less gel between the Rhodes and bass now though.
I've gotten closer but not entirely satisfied.
Well, tonally the instruments are not much in each other's way apart from a few notes that cross during the solo. I just seem to need an awful amount of low frequency on the guitar to keep that typical sound.
I was also not to keen to ask them to re-arrange, it's their repertoire and I just offered to record it. Besides that, when they play it live, it works out. So I feel that I'm making my mixing problem theirs rather than something is really wrong with their song.
I did however call the keyboard player about it today and was open to come over this weekend. Until then I'll fiddle around with it, so that hopefully rearranging the piano eventually won't be needed.