Which SM58 to get?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Which SM58 to get?

Post by keith2021 »

I am looking to buy a Shure SM58 mic for live performance but am confused by the model options. Their website hasn’t really helped clarify.

Does anyone know the differences between the SM58, SM58-lc and SM58-lce models?

I did find someone saying lc = less cable, but the regular 58 doesn’t come with cable either so that seems unlikely.
keith2021

Re: Which SM58 to get?

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I only know of two current models.

The SM58-LCE is the standard model.

The SM58-SE has an on-off switch built onto the body.

Neither come with a cable.

In previous times, there was the SM58-LC where the LC meant 'less cable' -- ie, it didn't come with an XLR cable.

If you wanted an XLR cable in the box you needed the SM58-CN version... but it's not available anymore (although many retailers will do a 'set' with the mic plus a cable and stand.

The switched version was also previously marketed as the SM58S (instead of the current SM58-SE.

But all versions have the same capsule and sound the same.

Just be careful where you buy as there are an awful lot of cheap far eastern knock-offs that sound really terrible! If it costs less than about £90 the chances are it's a fake!
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38797 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Wonks »

The music stores often don't refer to the full Shure reference, which adds to any confusion you may have. E.g. Andertons simply refers to the 'SM58' (SM58-LCE) or 'SM58 with switch' (SM58SE) in their descriptions. This may make it seem like there are more models, but there aren't. It's just them being lazy and not including the full Shure reference anywhere in the descriptions.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16937 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by ef37a »

IMHO NEVER buy a mic with a switch! As well as a '58 I suggest you also get a Behrry XM8500 as a spare. Under £20 and you might be surprised at how well it compares to the Shure!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16424 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by keith2021 »

Ok, that’s clear now, thank you
keith2021

Post by Wonks »

ef37a wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:14 am As well as a '58 I suggest you also get a Behrry XM8500 as a spare. Under £20 and you might be surprised at how well it compares to the Shure!

As long as you boost the treble and cut the bass, they can sound fairly similar, otherwise they are pretty muddy IMO. But they do have a similar level of handling noise and feedback rejection, and are one of the best cheap SM58-alikes I've tried, and better than Behringer' other SM58-style offerings.

Sadly it seems to now be a discontinued model.

I did a review of some Behringer 58-style mics at the beginning of last year and compared them against an SM58.

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 27&t=70540
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16937 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by ef37a »

Wonks wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:31 am
ef37a wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:14 am As well as a '58 I suggest you also get a Behrry XM8500 as a spare. Under £20 and you might be surprised at how well it compares to the Shure!

As long as you boost the treble and cut the bass, they can sound fairly similar, otherwise they are pretty muddy IMO. But they do have a similar level of handling noise and feedback rejection, and are one of the best cheap SM58-alikes I've tried, and better than Behringer' other SM58-style offerings.

Sadly it seems to now be a discontinued model.

Oh! Well Amazon still have them and I have just ordered a spare,spare.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Mike Monte »

ef37a wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:14 am IMHO NEVER buy a mic with a switch!

Why no switch??
I carry four sm58's in my sound-for-hire kit but prefer to use Senn E835's as a vocal mic standard.
(Most singers worth their weight in salt will bring their own personal mic.)
FWIW: Some of my 835's are the "switched" version 835s (which also has a set-screw to set the switch to the "on" position..)..
...again I ask:
Why no switch?? (just curious)
Mike Monte
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

There are obviously some valid applications when a switched mic is helpful or even essential -- such as when there is no one available to control/mix the mic signal.

However, for general stage use a switched mic tends to be a liability as its too easily knocked off accidentally by the user.

Yes, on most you can lock the switch in the on position with a screw and/or reversible plate, but if you're going to lock it on its generally better just to have a mic without a switch in the first place. Less to go wrong, no contacts to wear and get noisy etc...
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38797 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by shufflebeat »

Absolutely.

Unless you need a mic with a switch, in which case get a Beyerdynamic. I have two very old Beyers with roll-y switches that have worked flawlessly since I bought them and that was second hand.

My first switched Beyer Soundstar 2 worked great until some over-zealous spinning dancers caught the cable and launched it across the dancefloor.

Switch was fine.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9088 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by ef37a »

Switch: Hugh got most of it. If you have ever done AGM sound reinforcement you generally have to keep out of the way and you can bet your wedding tackle one of the assembled worthies will fiddle and switch off their mic!

And, as stated, I have found mic switches always fail eventually.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by ef37a »

shufflebeat wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:09 pm

Absolutely.

Unless you need a mic with a switch, in which case get a Beyerdynamic. I have two very old Beyers with roll-y switches that have worked flawlessly since I bought them and that was second hand.

My first switched Beyer Soundstar 2 worked great until some over-zealous spinning dancers caught the cable and launched it across the dancefloor.

Switch was fine.

Ah, had that been a '58 it would likely have survived. Bent but working.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster