Nord, any (trusted) insight on feature to cost ratio?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Nord, any (trusted) insight on feature to cost ratio?

Post by Martin Walker »

jellyjim wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:02 pm My "accountant" wants to know who else is "responsible for this". I'll pass on a link to this thread :D

But you'll be able to offset the cost of your new keyboard baby against tax, so most accountants will be all for it ;)

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by jellyjim »

Martin Walker wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:10 pm
jellyjim wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:02 pm My "accountant" wants to know who else is "responsible for this". I'll pass on a link to this thread :D

But you'll be able to offset the cost of your new keyboard baby against tax, so most accountants will be all for it ;)

Martin

Unfortunately I did p/ex so I actually spent £1,850 which is I believe under the threshold for VAT exemption on capital purchases :(

But I can offset it against company profits
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1680 Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am Location: uk
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Post by jellyjim »

I've noticed some audible mechanical noise from the internal power supply today. A hum. Noticeable in a quiet room. Is this to be expected?
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Post by jellyjim »

jellyjim wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:01 pm I've noticed some audible mechanical noise from the internal power supply today. A hum. Noticeable in a quiet room. Is this to be expected?

It seems to have gone. Weird! It's been a long day.
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

jellyjim wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:27 pm
jellyjim wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:01 pm I've noticed some audible mechanical noise from the internal power supply today. A hum. Noticeable in a quiet room. Is this to be expected?

It seems to have gone. Weird! It's been a long day.

This can often be due to incoming distortion on the mains waveform (from nearby power tools, factories and the like) that results in the transformer windings vibrating. When such interference goes, the transformer buzzing will disappear.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by jellyjim »

Hmm. It’s back.

I’ve tried different power sockets.

I’ve been doing some research and internet says “yup Nord use transformers, they can get buzzy!”

But after two days?! I can hear it wearing headphones. It’s pretty audible.

Ah man is nothing simple? :-(

The bit of info I haven’t shared is that it turned up late courtesy of TNT and the box was partially opened and damaged in one corner. It was all a bit of a rush so I accepted it assuming there was a second inner carton. There wasn’t!

I spoke to the retailer and they kind of said “but that’s what packaging’s for” and insisted it’ll be fine and that even if it had been dropped you’d know if there was a fault immediately.

Day one it was silent. Not today!

Should it be sitting here buzzing at me? Surely not? Surely not for £2k5!
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Call Nord and ask if it’s normal, if not, send it back.
Sooner rather than later.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by jellyjim »

Arpangel wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:01 am Call Nord and ask if it’s normal, if not, send it back.
Sooner rather than later.

I've emailed support. If they don't reply today I'll call for sure.

Further research suggests transformer and OLED noise are both common issues with Nords, though I can't ascertain whether this should be expected of new items. Who knew?! Not me! Perhaps these aren't instruments for the home and Nord expect them to spend most their lives on stages and in rehearsal rooms where such noises will rarely ever be noticed.

Gah! All I'm trying to do is play some piano. Everything's rubbish. Wake me up when it's all over please :headbang:
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Post by jellyjim »

Nopety nope nope nope

I've just been into a local shop where they have a Piano 5 on display and it's absolutely silent even with my ear pressed against the chassis.

One dud coming straight back atcha Mr Retailer! No ifs, no buts. :evil:
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I'd say it's not normal and it's not acceptable, so you're right to send it back as unfit for purpose. Frustrating though that obviously is.

A little mechanical hum that you can hear with your ear right next to the case might be tolerable, but not something that audible even when sat back and wearing headphones.

It is possible that if the unit experienced severe mechanical shock during transit the transformer has moved on its fixings, become looser and is vibrating more audibly as a result.

Martin is also right that some transformers are particularly prone to mains waveform distortion, but in that case you'd typically find the level and character of tone varied at different times of day.

Return and replace...
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by jellyjim »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:52 pm I'd say it's not normal and it's not acceptable,

Return and replace...

Fantastic, thanks Hugh! I was hoping you would reply for you are, in case you hadn't realised, the gold standard and single source of truth on such judgements. If Hugh says t's a duffer, it's a duffer! :bouncy:

If the retailer whine I will simply say "But Hugh said ..." and they will cower meekly in the corner as well they should :D

I'm sure they'll be fine. They've been very amenable so far.
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

jellyjim wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:59 pm
Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:52 pm I'd say it's not normal and it's not acceptable,

Return and replace...

Fantastic, thanks Hugh! I was hoping you would reply for you are, in case you hadn't realised, the gold standard and single source of truth on such judgements. If Hugh says t's a duffer, it's a duffer! :bouncy:

If the retailer whine I will simply say "But Hugh said ..." and they will cower meekly in the corner as well they should :D

I'm sure they'll be fine. They've been very amenable so far.

As Hugh said, it’s not normal, or acceptable, there is no argument, just ask for a replacement, you have every right to one, and the retailer should happily oblige, why shouldn’t they?
Just chill and look forward to a new one.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster