motu 828mkII routing in mac os

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

motu 828mkII routing in mac os

Post by arfo »

Hi everybody,
I'm using a MOTU828mkII firewire on a Macmini late 2012 with OSX Mojave and I still can't figure out if and how I can address my streaming audio (coming from internet) to my main outs (I set the box in the MIDI-audio panel but with no results); the same is for audio preview: if I press the spacebar I can only hear the audio preview in an analog pair of outputs, 5-6, but I can't change them and I don't understand where this setting is established...
I'm asking if something is no more ok with compatibility between MOTU and OS Mojave but I didn't find anything about it...
Thank you for helping me...
Arturo
arfo
Regular

Re: motu 828mkII routing in mac os

Post by BigRedX »

It's a while since I owned a MotU audio interface, but when I did the audio routing was handled by MotU's own utility which over-rode the settings in the Mac OS Audio MiDI setup. I'd start by looking there.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster (Level2)
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by arfo »

Thank you BigRedX,
I've tried different setting on cuemix and MOTU audio setup utilities but it appears more like they control audio input more than output...
I'm trying to contact MOTU support but it's not so easy...
Arturo
arfo
Regular

Post by Black Sheep »

From my memory of using one of those units the main outs are by default on 9 & 10. You should be able to set macOS to use them by opening up the 'Audio MIDI Setup' utility. Select the interface on the left, select the Output tab then click the 'Configure Speakers...' button in the bottom right, then set Left to output 9 and Right to output 10. If 9 & 10 don't work you could try each of the other outputs in turn and use the Test buttons to find the ones that work.

If that doesn't work it's possible you need to change some routing settings in CueMix.
Black Sheep
Poster
Posts: 25 Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Edinburgh

Post by arfo »

Hi Black Sheep,
i tried quite everything I could, included, what you're suggesting but I can't get out...
At the moment I have audio (file preview, itunes, web streaming) coming from stereo analog outputs 5-6 and I can't change this; even if I try with audio setting and I set 7-8 or 3-4 and the test is succesful (I see it in the led panel) at the end anything changes...
I only could get audio from internet in my main outputs creating a multiple output device (but the name is misleading because I can only choose MOTU main out) but in this case my apple volume remote control is unuseful...
What makes me crazy is that I set audio 5-6 with a previous OS version, I had Mavericks before jumping to Mojave, and it was ok so I'm asking about compatibility....

The situation is different if I use Cubase ore Live: in this case I can route output and inputs as I want, fortunately; so it seems that audio software seized audio control...

I'm still trying to contact MOTU support...

Thank you for writing,

Arturo
arfo
Regular

Post by adamburgess »

I bought Rogue Amoeba's Loopback a couple of years back.
It's excellent for this sort of stuff.

Never used the MOTU software, but looks like you're on the right lines!
adamburgess
Regular

Post by arfo »

Thank you Adamburgess, I would prefer to solve the problem with MOTU, if they only answered...
arfo
Regular

Post by s_e_a_n »

Create an aggregate device adding your 828 to the system ins/outs in the Audio/Midi Setup app then you should be able to use any combination.
s_e_a_n
Regular
Posts: 64 Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Kerry
Programmer, sound engineer, artist, musician

Post by arfo »

HI s_e_a_n,
I did it too
arfo wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:49 pm I only could get audio from internet in my main outputs creating a multiple output device (but the name is misleading because I can only choose MOTU main out) but in this case my apple volume remote control is unuseful..

but when I select MOTU 828 it only gives me the option for channels 1-2 (main out...).
I also downloaded the ultimate audio setup versio but when I open it there are still old options selected; maybe I should uninstall and reinstall but this is the very last try (I'm afraid issues could be worst than now....)
Thank you
arfo
Regular

Post by Black Sheep »

arfo wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 3:49 pm What makes me crazy is that I set audio 5-6 with a previous OS version, I had Mavericks before jumping to Mojave, and it was ok so I'm asking about compatibility....

Looking at https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/driverlog, it seems like the driver support for the 828mk2 only goes up to macOS 10.13 :-(
Black Sheep
Poster
Posts: 25 Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2003 12:00 am Location: Edinburgh

Post by arfo »

Hi Black Sheep,
it seems so, actually... :-/
I'm trying to get in touch with MOTU tech support...
In the meanwhile I downloaded MOTU mac audio installer from https://motu.com/download (it mentions 828x) and I installed it (v. 1.6 83634) with no troubles but anything changed...
Hope MOTU tech support will definitely clarify this question... I'll let you know
Thank you,
Arturo
arfo
Regular

Post by wearashirt »

Did you not buy the motu to use in a DAW? I guess that's one major question I also have for you..

I hope you find a solution. I'm also planning on getting an old mk3.
wearashirt
Regular
Posts: 122 Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:18 am Location: Manila, Philippines