Arturia Keystep 37 issues.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Arturia Keystep 37 issues.

Post by Ben Asaro »

Sounds sorted to me! :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2357 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by Arpangel »

Ben Asaro wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:19 pm Sounds sorted to me! :D

I was within a few feet of a large hammer yesterday, if a piece of gear makes me feel like that it has no place o my studio, in fact, it was very strange, I nearly smashed up my entire studio, let’s just say "I had a moment"
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Terrible.dee »

I like you.
Terrible.dee
Regular

Post by Terrible.dee »

Ben Asaro wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:25 pm If you’re talking about pitch, yes; the 0V pitch is different for every manufacturer, so you have to find a happy medium between the Arturia’s 0V pitch and where the oscillator is set.

Comes with the territory, the joy of modular lol. :headbang:

Glad you got it sorted!

Oh no!

Not with Arturia!

Anyone who has ever tried to connect a Mini and Micro Brute via CV knows that they like to change their CV standards IN HOUSE!!

Products that couldn't be more similar, without actually BEING the same product are NOT compatible via CV.

This is one of the 1000 reasons I don't trust Arturia. And CRINGE when I think of them marketing products that cost more than a couple of hundred bucks.
Terrible.dee
Regular

Post by Terrible.dee »

Arpangel wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:55 am I’m having trouble getting my Keystep to interface with my modular, it works fine via Midi, and USB, but I’m not getting anything via the CV outputs, Gate, Pitch.
If I connect it to an envelope generator or an oscillator in my modular, it seems to output a continuous voltage, not a gate, instead of coming on only when I press a key, the lights on my envelope generators stay on all the time.
Also, the arpeggiator doesn’t seem to be sending anything.
All of my other synths with CV outputs work fine with my modular, I’m a bit puzzled I may be missing a setting on the Keystep.

Sorry man,

But ALWAYS expect a "catch" with Arturia...

....I could tell you stories.....things that are quite honestly HILARIOUS in my dealings with that company.

....dealing with their products made me feel like I was the subject of a practical joke. As in "They can't be serious....can they?"

Know who you are dealing with.
Terrible.dee
Regular

Post by nathanscribe »

I've resorted to getting CV out of my Keystep by plugging its MIDI out into a Kenton Pro Solo.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1482 Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:00 am Location: Wakefield, for my sins.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Post by Guest »

Terrible.dee wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:26 am
Arpangel wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:55 am I’m having trouble getting my Keystep to interface with my modular, it works fine via Midi, and USB, but I’m not getting anything via the CV outputs, Gate, Pitch.
If I connect it to an envelope generator or an oscillator in my modular, it seems to output a continuous voltage, not a gate, instead of coming on only when I press a key, the lights on my envelope generators stay on all the time.
Also, the arpeggiator doesn’t seem to be sending anything.
All of my other synths with CV outputs work fine with my modular, I’m a bit puzzled I may be missing a setting on the Keystep.

Sorry man,

But ALWAYS expect a "catch" with Arturia...

....I could tell you stories.....things that are quite honestly HILARIOUS in my dealings with that company.

....dealing with their products made me feel like I was the subject of a practical joke. As in "They can't be serious....can they?"

Know who you are dealing with.

Can you give some examples?

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Well over a decade ago, at the time of the V collection prior to V4, Arturia could be challenging as they didn't really have very good support and at one point I almost felt they'd abandoned their product offerings as it would be weeks or months between updates from them on their forum.

Something happened soon after 2010 and they emerged with an unrecognisably better service, an impressive installer/licensing tool, have regularly updated and improved their software offerings and have gone from strength to strength ever since.

On the relatively rare occasions I've had dealings with their support I've found them efficient, courteous and effective. In addition to a lot more of their plugins I have a number of hardware products of theirs now, all of which are beautifully designed, well built and reasonably priced.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Terrible.dee wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:19 am Products that couldn't be more similar, without actually BEING the same product are NOT compatible via CV.

Err, they are compatible via CV ... :think:

The voltages are different but they work together just fine over CV and you can simply adjust the tunings to taste.

Your lack of patience and/or understanding isn't Arturia's fault I'm afraid.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Arpangel »

My experiences with Arturia support has been, shall we say, a bit comical, no tragedies as such, just a bit comical, I’m sure they are nice people though :)
It's a bit like buying a car that has a lot of really silly faults, that should never have been there, but the company are so apologetic, and helpful about resolving them, they disarm you, and then you think "hey! but the faults shouldn’t have been there in the first place!"
I have to be honest, Arturia have infuriated me a lot in the past, I spent ages making great sounds with some of their early soft synths, and they never really made later versions backwards compatible, they gave me a converter, but it never, ever worked, I had to keep an old PC running just to play those sounds.
I don’t know what’s up with this Keystep, but it’s a pain, I just can’t take to it, my Moogs seem to play with my modular nicely, so I’m using them as controllers, the KS is not intuitive, if I’d have known how it behaves and the "logic" of how it works I’d have never have bought it.
I’ll keep it as a handy Midi controller, but that’s about it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

For what it's worth, none of what you are describing as issues are actual issues.

Arturia's controllers are designed to work with the widest range of devices available, including old Korg and vintage units. As a result, they will require configuration to work.

It takes a bit of time to get it dialed in, but once that happens, you're set. Sometimes it can be a bit baffling, but the alternative is something that only works with a handful of specific devices.

No two people with modular setups have their equipment set up in the same way. That's a monumental design challenge for something like the KeyStep, which has an extraordinary amount of functionality at its price point.

Your analogy to a car with 'silly faults' is also misleading. If you don't RTFM, how is it the fault of Arturia that it doesn't work with your one, specific, unique setup?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2357 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by Arpangel »

Ben Asaro wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:07 pm For what it's worth, none of what you are describing as issues are actual issues.

Arturia's controllers are designed to work with the widest range of devices available, including old Korg and vintage units. As a result, they will require configuration to work.

It takes a bit of time to get it dialed in, but once that happens, you're set. Sometimes it can be a bit baffling, but the alternative is something that only works with a handful of specific devices.

No two people with modular setups have their equipment set up in the same way. That's a monumental design challenge for something like the KeyStep, which has an extraordinary amount of functionality at its price point.

Your analogy to a car with 'silly faults' is also misleading. If you don't RTFM, how is it the fault of Arturia that it doesn't work with your one, specific, unique setup?

Ben, you should know me very well by now, even though you’ve never met me.

:):):)

If a guy is wearing cheap brown shoes he’s already on a losing wicket with me, baseball caps? forget it, it’s the same with synths.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster