Hugh Robjohns Top Ten Interfaces/Convertors?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Hugh Robjohns Top Ten Interfaces/Convertors?

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

Great info, thank Hugh. Much more useful and productive than what ends up happening with a similar Q on a certain other forum :lol:
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2561 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by dylanhughes81 »

As promised, here is my list of dynamic range measurements of all the interfaces and converters to have passed across my test bench in recent years

Thanks Hugh, really appreciate you taking the time to dig it out and right some helpful context around it as well.
dylanhughes81
Poster

Post by Folderol »

Very interesting - maybe this could be a sticky?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18173 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by shufflebeat »

Folderol wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:48 pm ...maybe this could be a sticky?

Possibly a Top Gear board with a big reveal and magnetic stickers.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9101 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Guest »

That’s revealing…and surprising. I won’t mention any brands here. Anyway, I trust you more than anyone else.

Post by forumuser840717 »

Interesting lists.

Quick questions for Hugh - the Focusrite Rednet and Merging Hapi AD and DA conversion all come in different versions. With Focusrite, it's different hardware boxes, the older series is (mostly) 2U and the newer stuff is 1U with dual PSUs but with the Merging boxes the conversion quality comes down to a choice of input and output cards, of which there are several. Do you know which ones you tested?
forumuser840717
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Not off the top of my head, but the details will be in the relevant reviews, and you can look those up as easily as I can.

In the case of older reviews, its possible that newer updated converters might be employed in later versions.

The only old/new version i can recall testing were the optional 8-channel A-D cards for Focusrite's ISA428 (and related products), with the updated (current) version being significantly better.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38967 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by ManFromGlass »

Thanks!
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6664 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by Arpangel »

Terrible.dee wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:31 am Digital recording is all different degrees of crap.

There is no such thing as a "good" AD/DA converter.

I’ve been away from this forum for four days, glad to see it’s business as usual.

:D:D:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ken long »

A little surprised the Prismsound Dream convertors didn't feature on that list. I may have missed a criterion though.
ken long
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3513 Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:00 am Location: Somers Town
I'm All Ears.

Post by Wonks »

The main one being that Hugh's had them submitted to test. If they aren't submitted and then selected to be testd by the mag and for Hugh to review as opposed to someone else, then I doubt he actively goes out finding units to test for fun.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by ken long »

Fair enough!
ken long
Frequent Poster
I'm All Ears.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

ken long wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:31 am A little surprised the Prismsound Dream convertors didn't feature on that list. I may have missed a criterion though.

Ha! I feared this kind of response...

I have explained, in bold, why the devices I've listed are there, and why other devices are not.
Hugh Robjohns
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)

Post by ken long »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:39 pm
Point one: This list is ONLY of the products that happened to have crossed my test bench. It is categorically NOT a comprehensive list of 'The Best (or worst) Converters and Interfaces', and not a list of recommendations.

There are many brands and specific products that I haven't had the opportunity to measure. Their omission from this list does not imply anything about their performance in any way; I simply haven't tested them (yet).

:oops:
ken long
Frequent Poster
I'm All Ears.

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Arpangel wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:53 am I’ve been away from this forum for four days, glad to see it’s business as usual.

In fairness the original comment floated off into the distance on its back with all four legs in the air. That's business as usual round here :)

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12928 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by Matt Houghton »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:39 pm
Point one: This list is ONLY of the products that happened to have crossed my test bench. It is categorically NOT a comprehensive list of 'The Best (or worst) Converters and Interfaces', and not a list of recommendations.

There are many brands and specific products that I haven't had the opportunity to measure. Their omission from this list does not imply anything about their performance in any way; I simply haven't tested them (yet).

I'd add to this that different generation products from the same manufacturer can be very different — so do pay attention to the review dates that Hugh thoughtfully included in his post!

Eg he tested the first-gen UA Apollo and quoted the figures for that in his table, but UA's claims of their latest-generation Apollos would, if confirmed accurate, put those interfaces at the top of the list. I'm sure some others have made significant leaps too...
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Good point, and I've extended the intro slightly to make that clear.

For me, the biggest take away is that there is a 20dB difference in performance between the worst and best models to have passed across my test bench.

Although the very best performers are generally the most expensive models, and the very worst the least expensive -- much as you might expect -- a surprisingly high number of affordable devices manage to deliver extremely good figures, which is encouraging. And even the worst is still capable of high quality results in practical home-studio circumstances.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Aled Hughes »

Not that it matters, but I'll soon be buying the new RME AIO Pro. Your (Hugh)'s review in July stated that "the AIO‑Pro sits just inside my top 10 rankings". Any reason it's not on this list? Because it's essentially the same circuitry as the ADI-2 perhaps?
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1745 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Aled Hughes wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:23 pm Any reason it's not on this list?

incompetence, mainly. :oops:

Apologies, both the original and the pro cards scores fell off my chart! Now added back in.
Hugh Robjohns

Post by Aled Hughes »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:05 am
Aled Hughes wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:23 pm Any reason it's not on this list?

incompetence, mainly. :oops:

Apologies, both the original and the pro cards scores fell off my chart! Now added back in.

:lol: !

I feel a bit of a twerp for mentioning it- it’s just that it had stuck in my mind since I read the review a few times as I was seriously contemplating buying one.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1745 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru