Unusual hardware synth recommendation...

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Unusual hardware synth recommendation...

Post by Djberwick »

As much as I would love that setup with Maths and Rings once I add a midi expander to hook up to my daw it's around £700... I think I'll either go for a Neutron or see if there's a nice modular rack ready to go second hand :)
Djberwick
Regular

Post by t-sun »

I'd definitely say that if you want modular specifically, the Neutron shouldn't disappoint and can be a start to building a setup if you decide to go the eurorack route. The Behringer desktop monosynths and the MS-1 keyboard, plus the Korg Volca range are the only things in your price range that come to mind, and the Neutron is the best of those options given what you've mentioned so far.

The Alesis Micron is one that's love/hate, lot of people swear by it but many didn't like the menus so you may want something more hands on. It's also long out of production, but there were a lot of them so they're in your price range used.

I have an Arturia Microbrute, for the price it's a great start as a semi-modular monosynth. Also out of production, but in your price range second-hand. Possibly a better option than the MS-1.
t-sun
Regular

Post by Arpangel »

Just get the Neutron, it’s a one box solution, maybe investigate modular later, you can always incorporate the Neutron into that, also, secondhand is the only way to go with modular, and it’s so simple to make your own cases.

PS.

I just checked out the Neutron, it’s basically a two oscillator mono synth, in the traditional sense, with a patch bay, personally, I’d go for something a bit more West Coast, dual oscillators like the Make Noise DPO (just an example) are far more versatile, when it comes to far out sounds, I know we can use our imaginations, but if we’re talking about versatility especially for the more abstract sounds, and bang for buck I'd go for the O Coast instead, the Neutron is a safe alternative, cosy, familiar, but that’s not what we want, is it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA7UdNzBlbU

:D:D:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Djberwick »

Yeah, the Neutron does look very good value for money and quite flexible but like you say not pretty middle of the road for what I want. It's a bit more than I would have like but maybe the O-Coast might be better....

Defo looking at modular in the future but I think I'd like to get the taste via one of those semi-modulars for now.
Djberwick
Regular

Post by The Elf »

Neutron is a fine little synth, but don't go flying away on this 'unique' idea - synths run to basic underlying principles, no matter what they are. Beyond that they are all 'unique' in one sense or another.

If you can run to it a Behringer 2600 would get you into the modular-ish world without having to enter the modular-ish-ish world. ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19937 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Djberwick »

Ah, too much choice! :crazy:
Behringer 2600 looks awesome - will check it out, but probably beyond my (realistic) budget...
Djberwick
Regular

Post by Arpangel »

Given the OP's budget, and uses, I think maybe we have to look at things like the O Coast, there’s a trend today, and I’m all for it, for small, cheap-ish very capable synths, that can do many things, as good as the Behringer stuff is, it doesn’t have so many twists in the tale like the O Coast, the real strong point of stuff like this is that you can go very far out without using external bits and pieces, just the one, very small box. There are other competing devices, but if you get along with the O Coast, it’s a hard act to follow, on size, price, and versatility.
I’m already recording just using my Microgranny, CDR70, handy recorder, if I added an O Coast, it would be a self contained small, very powerful recording, and gigging rig, that fits in a computer bag.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

Djberwick wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:03 am Ah, too much choice! :crazy:
Behringer 2600 looks awesome - will check it out, but probably beyond my (realistic) budget...

...but well worth saving up for. It's as open-ended as you're going to get for the money.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Post by Djberwick »

This also came up in my search for unusual sounds: Moog Theremini!

Bit off topic but is certainly different (albeit a bit limited). Sounds like it can do more than just the 1950s sci-fi sound...
Djberwick
Regular

Post by The Elf »

Djberwick wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:19 am This also came up in my search for unusual sounds: Moog Theremini!

Bit off topic but is certainly different (albeit a bit limited). Sounds like it can do more than just the 1950s sci-fi sound...

Everyone loves 'em, nobody uses 'em...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Post by Djberwick »

You are probably right - sounds good but I think is basically a fancy midi controller limited to 31 non-editable patches
Djberwick
Regular

Post by Ben Asaro »

I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

At that price point it cuts most of my recommendations out. Can you afford to wait and/or double that budget?

At <300, the only two things that stick out to me are the Moog Werkstat and a used Arturia MiniBrute 1.

If you're serious about getting into modular, it will be a very deep, very expensive dive.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2357 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC