Broken toslink cable stuck in interface :(

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Broken toslink cable stuck in interface :(

Post by jellyjim »

Afternoon

Putting the "tos" in toslink, this toslink cable has has broken away from its housing. It still works but I may want to unplug it at some point!

I don't mind destroying the cable. Should I just keep pulling? If I open up the audio interface (out of warranty) will I see the plug and socket on the PCB and find an easy way to eject it?

Thanks
Jim

jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1680 Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am Location: uk
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Re: Broken toslink cable stuck in interface :(

Post by ef37a »

You could try cutting the fibre and inserting a small, self tapping screw which 'should' allow you to pull out the connector. There is always a chance you will damage the socket in which case it would have to be replaced by a technician.

What is the make of the AI? Others here can then give you an idea of how helpful they will be. Ranges from, "ship it back and we will fix it for free" to.. Never getting a reply!

It seems to be a rule that as smaller companies are absorbed into the Borg Collective of the giants, customer service goes to ***t!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Sam Spoons »

Much the same advice as Dave from me except if you pull the optical fibre hard enough either the connector shell will come out or the OC will be pulled out of the shell leaving a hole for Dave's self tapper?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19590 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Eddy Deegan »

ef37a wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:14 pm What is the make of the AI?

It looks like a Focusrite Scarlett to me.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by jellyjim »

Thanks gents

Brownie point for Eddy

It's a Scarlett Octo Pre

(More a pre-amp than an audio interface, I know. I was being too lazy to look at the front and remind myself of it's name when posting :lol: )
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Post by MOF »

Have you tried using some thin pliers to pull the gold coloured metal out?
I don’t think you’ll damage the socket, I think the plug has had some lateral force on it to cause the break.
MOF
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2260 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I doubt there's any point opening the unit. All the toslink sockets I've seen are sealed units and you wouldn't be able to push the plug out from inside.

The cable is obviously now just bin fodder, so If tugging the fibre doesn’t solve the problem I'd try needle nose pliers, a self- tapping screw, or superglue and some gash wood/plastic/metal rod as a handle... in that order.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by jellyjim »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:52 pm All the toslink sockets I've seen are sealed units and you wouldn't be able to push the plug out from inside

Ah ok, that’s what I was wondering

Great, thanks all
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Post by OneWorld »

jellyjim wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:15 pm
Hugh Robjohns wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:52 pm All the toslink sockets I've seen are sealed units and you wouldn't be able to push the plug out from inside

Great, thanks all

Play some of those rumping pumping heavy bass tunes that some young 'uns have playing in their cars, where the bass frequencies almost blows the doors off, doing that might blast the cable out the socket - just saying :-)

For what it's worth, I had the same thing happen to me, and that was in the back of a Roland synth, I managed to get some thin nosed pliers on the plastic and tugged the cable at the same time, and the plug, and 'cable' came out, no harm done, I then put another cable in and that has been fine, the socket is intact.
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by Rockrooms »

jellyjim wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:15 pm

Great, thanks all

I know it's out of warranty, but it's still well worth getting in touch with Focusrite support if you don't have any luck removing the broken piece. As mentioned, you won't gain anything by opening up the unit unfortunately.

Joe
Rockrooms
Regular
Posts: 137 Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:00 am Location: Oxford