Unusual hardware synth recommendation...

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Unusual hardware synth recommendation...

Post by Djberwick »

I'm sure I will, cheers. There is just something about the Moog brand that is very desirable to me :)
Djberwick
Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Djberwick wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:38 pm There is just something about the Moog brand that is very desirable to me :)

It’s the sound.

:D:D:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Djberwick »

Mostly that :) On a superficial level it is the heritage/history as well!
Djberwick
Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

Djberwick wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:44 pm Mostly that :) On a superficial level it is the heritage/history as well!

There is definitely a prestige factor added to the Moog brand. When I purchased my M32 (from B&H in Manhattan), the salesman was like, "oooo ... that's the Cadilac of synthesizers". :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2364 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by Arpangel »

Ben Asaro wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:07 pm
Djberwick wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:44 pm Mostly that :) On a superficial level it is the heritage/history as well!

There is definitely a prestige factor added to the Moog brand. When I purchased my M32 (from B&H in Manhattan), the salesman was like, "oooo ... that's the Cadilac of synthesizers". :D

I think the Moog’s I own were designed like a TVR.

:-|
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by t-sun »

Arpangel wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:22 am

Total Voltage control Reliability
:D
t-sun
Regular

Post by Folderol »

t-sun wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:42 pm
Arpangel wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:22 am

Total Voltage control Reliability
:D

More like Terrible Voltage Regulation :wave:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18185 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Arpangel »

I've had issues with both of my "current" Moog’s, and my confidence has been knocked, build doesn’t seem as good as it used to be.
Also, not a good company to deal with, no replies from support, I’ve given up.
My Grandmother has been back for repair and they found nothing wrong with it, as soon as I got it back it went wrong again, and still has an annoying fault, filter stops working, overloaded, no reverb. My Matriarch just freaks out now and again, then comes back again.
I just accept all this, like my car, comes with the territory
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

OP, there’s a Neutron in readers ads right now, you should look at.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Djberwick »

Cheers, I've gone off the Neutron a bit - would like to spend a bit more (contrary to what I said before).
Djberwick
Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Djberwick wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:01 am Cheers, I've gone off the Neutron a bit - would like to spend a bit more (contrary to what I said before).

OK!

In that case I think I’m going to take this Neutron, it’s right near where I’m going at the weekend, at that price, even if it doesn’t work out for me, it may come in useful for a friend.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Djberwick »

Ah ok, thanks for running it past me mate :thumbup:
Djberwick
Poster

Post by Djberwick »

Since I increased my budget I checked out a few other semi-modulars... The Dreadbox NYX V2 looks interesting.
Djberwick
Poster

Post by Djberwick »

...or even the Arturia Minibrute 2S...too many to choose from...
Djberwick
Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Djberwick wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:02 pm ...or even the Arturia Minibrute 2S...too many to choose from...

Yes way too many to choose from, I’d be trying to get away with balancing up features, that "you" need, and price, and trying to come out as economically as possible, it’s all very confusing, you just have to make a choice, it’s not set in stone, in these days of instant returns.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

MiniBrute is a monster, I have one and love it for very specific things. The filter for the MiniBrute isn't my favourite, it's a very raw-sounding synth, but can get some great sounds if you like and have use for the base sound.

I only own a couple of Dreadbox products, and none of their synths. I know a lot of people love their stuff, but it does absolutely nothing for me.

It sounds to me like you need to do a lot more research before you jump in.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by Djberwick »

Cheers guys, I'm going to get a shortlist of 3 or 4 then just get hands-on in a store.
Djberwick
Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

Djberwick wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:20 pm Cheers guys, I'm going to get a shortlist of 3 or 4 then just get hands-on in a store.

BEST WAY TO DO IT.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by t-sun »

Ben Asaro wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:10 pm MiniBrute is a monster, I have one and love it for very specific things. The filter for the MiniBrute isn't my favourite, it's a very raw-sounding synth, but can get some great sounds if you like and have use for the base sound.

I only own a couple of Dreadbox products, and none of their synths. I know a lot of people love their stuff, but it does absolutely nothing for me.

It sounds to me like you need to do a lot more research before you jump in.

I feel similarly about the microbrute. It's a huge synth in a tiny package but you have to want to use a 'huge' synth. It doesn't really do small sounds, if you know what I mean?

Great build quality for what it is though, and the power adapter is a cable-wart instead of a wall-wart and that's always a thumbs up from me.

I have a pre-order in for the Nymphes from Dreadbox and will post opinions when that comes through, hopefully next month barring delays.
t-sun
Regular

Post by Djberwick »

The Nymphes does look good - if I didn't have my mind on modular then I'd be very tempted...
Djberwick
Poster