Arturia Keystep 37 issues.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Arturia Keystep 37 issues.

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Terrible.dee wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:19 am Products that couldn't be more similar, without actually BEING the same product are NOT compatible via CV.

Err, they are compatible via CV ... :think:

The voltages are different but they work together just fine over CV and you can simply adjust the tunings to taste.

Your lack of patience and/or understanding isn't Arturia's fault I'm afraid.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8825 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Arpangel »

My experiences with Arturia support has been, shall we say, a bit comical, no tragedies as such, just a bit comical, I’m sure they are nice people though :)
It's a bit like buying a car that has a lot of really silly faults, that should never have been there, but the company are so apologetic, and helpful about resolving them, they disarm you, and then you think "hey! but the faults shouldn’t have been there in the first place!"
I have to be honest, Arturia have infuriated me a lot in the past, I spent ages making great sounds with some of their early soft synths, and they never really made later versions backwards compatible, they gave me a converter, but it never, ever worked, I had to keep an old PC running just to play those sounds.
I don’t know what’s up with this Keystep, but it’s a pain, I just can’t take to it, my Moogs seem to play with my modular nicely, so I’m using them as controllers, the KS is not intuitive, if I’d have known how it behaves and the "logic" of how it works I’d have never have bought it.
I’ll keep it as a handy Midi controller, but that’s about it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

For what it's worth, none of what you are describing as issues are actual issues.

Arturia's controllers are designed to work with the widest range of devices available, including old Korg and vintage units. As a result, they will require configuration to work.

It takes a bit of time to get it dialed in, but once that happens, you're set. Sometimes it can be a bit baffling, but the alternative is something that only works with a handful of specific devices.

No two people with modular setups have their equipment set up in the same way. That's a monumental design challenge for something like the KeyStep, which has an extraordinary amount of functionality at its price point.

Your analogy to a car with 'silly faults' is also misleading. If you don't RTFM, how is it the fault of Arturia that it doesn't work with your one, specific, unique setup?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2364 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by Arpangel »

Ben Asaro wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:07 pm For what it's worth, none of what you are describing as issues are actual issues.

Arturia's controllers are designed to work with the widest range of devices available, including old Korg and vintage units. As a result, they will require configuration to work.

It takes a bit of time to get it dialed in, but once that happens, you're set. Sometimes it can be a bit baffling, but the alternative is something that only works with a handful of specific devices.

No two people with modular setups have their equipment set up in the same way. That's a monumental design challenge for something like the KeyStep, which has an extraordinary amount of functionality at its price point.

Your analogy to a car with 'silly faults' is also misleading. If you don't RTFM, how is it the fault of Arturia that it doesn't work with your one, specific, unique setup?

Ben, you should know me very well by now, even though you’ve never met me.

:):):)

If a guy is wearing cheap brown shoes he’s already on a losing wicket with me, baseball caps? forget it, it’s the same with synths.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

:D

Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Ben Asaro wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:18 pm:D

Ooooh! Ooooh!

:D:D:D

I can’t be too bad on Arturia, they did change my life, so.
When they came out, I bought the Moog Modular, and ARP 2600, and went on to record loads of stuff with them, I thought they were magical.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Given up on this, the CV out is very unreliable, Arturia released an update, but it’s still not up to scratch.
I’m just going to get a Midi module for my rack and use any of my other keyboards, my Moogs don’t seem to have any of the issues I’m getting with the Keystep, they control everything fine, and I can use the sequencers and arps on-board the Moogs, so problem solved.
One of the main reasons I got the Keystep was for it’s CV outputs, so if you’re doing the same, just be careful to check it out first, to see if it actually works with your system.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

I have mmMIDI from ALM, it will do two MIDI voices to CV at once, is inexpensive, and works great. Definitely recommended, unless you need more that two voices.

https://busycircuits.com/alm023/
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Ben Asaro wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:49 pm I have mmMIDI from ALM, it will do two MIDI voices to CV at once, is inexpensive, and works great. Definitely recommended, unless you need more that two voices.

https://busycircuits.com/alm023/

Thanks Ben, looks like the perfect solution.

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster