Recommend a NS10 Amp?

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Recommend a NS10 Amp?

Post by Angelface78 »

Update Hugh….great news hum/buzz has left the building!! I failed to mention that yesterday I decided to connect the Ebtech Line Level Shifter between Nero and ilouds.

It was this that was causing the issues! I just decided to disconnect it when you mentioned that the Art devices that are similar, use transformers and that would likely worsen the issue, which was indeed the case! How is this even possible? Given that it it states it “Eliminates hum and buzz”?!

Even better I was able to continue using the Pseudo cables, so I didn’t have to purchase any further ones, which is also a bonus:-).

Thanks so much for your help once again, as had you not mentioned about transformers I would never have thought this would have in anyway been the culprit and I am so relieved that it was not a dodgy power supply or defective speakers and that with your help I was able to resolve it :thumbup:
Angelface78
Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Angelface78 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:09 pm Update Hugh….great news hum/buzz has left the building!!

Hurrah!

I failed to mention that yesterday I decided to connect the Ebtech Line Level Shifter between Nero and ilouds. It was this that was causing the issues! .... How is this even possible? Given that it it states it “Eliminates hum and buzz”?

They eliminate hum and buzz caused by ground loops... when there are multiple grounds in the system. But your problem wasn't a ground loop it was no ground at all !

So it was exactly as I said. The speakers lacked the solid ground which they expected via the input connections because the Ebtech's transformers isolate its input and output connections, hence no ground at the speaker.

Your 'pseudo balanced cables' you have are obviously wired in such a way as to convey an earth via the screen.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38985 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Angelface78 »

You were absolutely spot on! Thank you for explaining everything, which now I understand I feel a little daft!!😄 Just glad there are helpful individuals on here -like yourself, to give very helpful advice.

Thanks so much once again.
Angelface78
Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:thumbup::ugeek::D
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38985 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

The Perfect NS10 AMP

Post by Antz44 »

The Amp that was recommended by Yamaha for the NS10 when they came out was the yamaha P2040 amp. It is rated at 40 watts and is a 2 and 4 channel amp so that other speakers could be used.

It has a perfectly flat frequency response from 10Hz through to 32000 Hz. It is a reference amplifier and has no tone controls. Can be run in 2 channel or 4 channel mode (so you can use other ref monitors in the studio as well) It is a 19" Rack mount unit. It was the recommended amp for pro studios using NS10 monitors.

Being a 40 watt amp it was designed for desk monitoring (Not too loud) and will not blow the NS10s.

The flat frequency responce was remarkable in its day. They are super reliable and rare amps to find nowdays. The perfect pairing for professional recording studios for reference mixing and mastering. :headbang:
Antz44

Post by Essen »

Hi everyone. I'm new here. I have a pair of ns10s that I’m hoping to put into a control room once the construction has finished. I’ve noted the brands and model recommendations made by users of this thread, one of which was Denon. I have two old Denon Av receivers at work destined for the bin. I don’t know the model, but I will get that info and hopefully share it with you all. I originally planned to use an EV 7100, thinking it would be suitable for the ns10s, but only in terms of power output. Thanks so much, everyone, for sharing your knowledge with us here. It’s invaluable for someone like myself who’s relatively new to audio.
I am looking forward to hearing from you. Thanks!
Essen

Post by Essen »

Those Denon units are not AV receivers but rather DVD players: model DN-V310
:roll:
Essen