E-MU Ultra Sampler Updating Woes

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

E-MU Ultra Sampler Updating Woes

Post by fatbenelton »

Any E-MU Ultra sampler guru’s on here??

Tearing my hair out trying to upgrade it! Got a NOS E4XT Ultra which has the very first OS 4.01 installed. I’m trying to get to 4.7...

I’m hearing mixed news on whether you have to upgrade to 4.02 first but the consensus seems to be you don’t have to but you do have to install the flash prep.

I bought 3x discs off eBay (and got sent replacement ones during my woes in case they were faulty) - flash prep, 4.6.2 and 4.7. Booting with the flash prep disc in triggers boot mode. I click yes to the question, it does its stuff but then just boots into 4.01. No opportunity to put a 4.6.2 OS or 4.7OS disc in. It just does some updating but then boots as normal into 4.01 - no prompt, no message, nothing...

I then switch off and put the 4.6.2 or 4.7 disc in but nothing...boots as normal as presumably the flash prep is negated by the power cycle.
So, what should I expect from the flash prep? Is the issue that I can’t go from 4.01 to anything without first updating to 4.02 which is vapourware!
I have trawled the net, downloaded files (I’m on an M1 Mac so my options to burn new discs are limited). I can’t update via MIDI as that only came in with 4.10 and I can’t use the aftermarket EOS tools (which looks ace and works in a browser) as you need 4.10 or above!!
I could just stick with 4.01 but there are bug fixes aplenty and FAT drives might be useful!
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Posts: 700 Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:00 am Location: Liverpool, UK
Jonny

Re: E-MU Ultra Sampler Updating Woes

Post by BJG145 »

"Evidently there are two different versions of Flash Prep, one for Ultra machines and the other for the Classic models. I wasn't aware of that."

http://samplersonacid.com/legacy-emus-o ... 4.php.html

"EOS 4.0 through 4.10 users need to load Ultra Prep to enable your sampler to read compressed files."

https://www.harmonycentral.com/forums/t ... u-sampler/

Are you up on these apparently different Flash Prep editions...?
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by fatbenelton »

Thanks for the reply. Wasn’t aware but got the ultra prep.
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Post by arkieboy »

I flashed my E5K to 4.7 a decade ago. I don’t remember any hassles doing it. I’ll keep an eye on the thread just in case I have any insights …
arkieboy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 512 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Oxfordish

Post by N i g e l »

arkieboy wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:48 pm I flashed my E5K to 4.7 a decade ago. I don’t remember any hassles doing it. I’ll keep an eye on the thread just in case I have any insights …

As far as I can remember I also did that but as the internal drive was IDE I just opened the machine and transfered the hard disk to the IDE on my PC and transfered the necessary files. That wouldnt be a viable option for me now as I now dont have an IDE on my motherboard :( - thats progress !
N i g e l
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3663 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by BWC »

There are still ways of connecting such things...
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-5-25-INC ... 0758RP5V8/
BWC
Regular
Posts: 478 Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 am Location: FL, US
BWC

Post by FrankF »

I've had a 500GB SATA laptop drive (quieter, less current draw) in my E5000 for several years with no problems - def. worth it if you can get the OS upgraded.

There are also SCSI options, i.e. an SD card via SCSI, but they're not cheap.

https://samplerzone.com/collections/storage
FrankF
Regular
Posts: 450 Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:00 am Location: La Vendée, France

Post by fatbenelton »

Cheers folks but you’ve ever so slightly gone off down the wrong rabbit hole. Talking about the OS which resides in the Flash ROM not the storage moving from SCSI/IDE to flash drives.

Updating the OS usually is quite straightforward other than for those few people like me stuck on the very first Ultra OS - 4.01. (not 4..10!).

Cheers

Jon
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Post by FrankF »

This bloke has the 4.62 flashprep and other bits and pieces (yes, I know you've already tried it!):
http://francisfisher.me.uk/problem/2011 ... y-archive/

There's also a sticky on Emusonacid called EOS Upgrading, but I'm guessing you've already read that.
FrankF
Regular

Post by BJG145 »

fatbenelton wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:49 pmI bought 3x discs off eBay...got the ultra prep.

It sounds like ultra prep is the way. If I'd had no luck with eBay (and I was resolved to use a hardware sampler instead of Kontakt), I'd be digging into the options for creating the media myself.

(Sometimes I don't miss my Akai S2000.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by fatbenelton »

Thanks both - yes seem those. Looks like I might need to track down an old Win98 laptop or PC with a floppy drive! Big Sur on a m1 not so great at that!
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Post by FrankF »

I'm not sure why you need a W98 machine to create the floppy - wasn't that just someone on one of the Emusonacid threads speculating?

Anyway, if it would help, I have an old floppy with "EOS 4.10a" on it. PM me with your address and I'll post it out.
I can't test it cos my old PC won't talk to its old floppy drive any more!

Do you also need a specific flashprep for each OS? Is it a separate file? (You can tell I've never done this before.) My E5K manual just says to stick the OS floppy in and power on, accept update, etc. No mention of flashprep.
FrankF
Regular