Bending | String under or on

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Bending | String under or on

Post by apaclin »

Hey peoples, quick question. When you bend do you make the string above go under your fingers (pic 1) or on the fingers (pic 2)? The first option is less effort + easier to do a vibrato when it goes under, but the string above can fall under a finger rapidly and that will make unwanted noise even if you mute it. The second is just more effort and harder to control.

apaclin
Regular

Re: Bending | String under or on

Post by Murray B »

I've edited this post twice now...

It's the first one - kind of, the end of my finger is touching but not fretting the string above. No issues with noise for me when I do this.

Is your action very high? The photos make it look like it's a bit of push to fret the note.
Murray B
Regular
Posts: 389 Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Staffordshire

Post by apaclin »

Murray B wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:47 pm I've edited this post twice now...

It's the first one - kind of, the end of my finger is touching but not fretting the string above. No issues with noise for me when I do this.

Is your action very high? The photos make it look like it's a bit of push to fret the note.

No, it's not, there is just something wrong with this guitar, that doesn't let to put the strings on the adequate height.
apaclin
Regular

Post by Sam Spoons »

#1 for me too but I'm not aware of any noises from the next string. Obviously next time I play I'll notice all sorts of nasties when I bend :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19590 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Wonks »

I have very low actions on my guitars, so there's no over or under for me; all the strings just get pushed sideways next to each other.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17003 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Music Wolf »

Wonks wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:12 pm I have very low actions on my guitars, so there's no over or under for me; all the strings just get pushed sideways next to each other.

Same for me
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2753 Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 am Location: Exiled to St Helens

Post by Murray B »

Wonks wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:12 pm I have very low actions on my guitars, so there's no over or under for me; all the strings just get pushed sideways next to each other.

^^^That's what I was trying to say but couldn't find the right form of words :headbang:
Murray B
Regular
Posts: 389 Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Staffordshire

Post by Wonks »

apaclin wrote: No, it's not, there is just something wrong with this guitar, that doesn't let to put the strings on the adequate height.

Are the saddles as low as they can go? If so, it sounds like you need a shim for the neck to increase the angle.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by apaclin »

Wonks wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:56 pm
apaclin wrote: No, it's not, there is just something wrong with this guitar, that doesn't let to put the strings on the adequate height.

Are the saddles as low as they can go? If so, it sounds like you need a shim for the neck to increase the angle.

Actually, the luthier put this shim at the bottom of the neck right to the edge. Calibrate the size by putting more material there?
apaclin
Regular

Post by Wonks »

Can you just confirm which end of the pocket the shim went, A or B?

If A, remove it and see how things are.

If B, then you need a taller shim. The shim height needs to be roughly 1/4 of the change in neck angle/height you need at the bridge, so if a line drawn along the top of the neck is (say) currently meeting the bridge roughly 2mm below the top of the saddles set to the the lowest point, then the neck angle needs to be altered so the neck points up 4-6mm higher, so a 1mm-1.5mm shim should do it.

A shim at one end of the pocket that angles the neck is far more effective than a flat piece that raises the whole neck up, as you'd need a 4-6mm thick piece to get the same effect.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by RionZ »

Same for me...

I actually have incredibly low frets (like paper matches from a matchbook laid across the finger board is one apt description I saw somewhere).

It's a 70s Gibson SG and I think it's from an era when this was the norm... the so called "fretless wonders".

Over the years I've developed a technique of pressing hard when bending and kind of "rolling" my finger for bends.

Am at the point now of considering a re-fret since the already low frets are now at the point where they would be a serious problem for bends if I went for another levelling and re-crown.

However, I'll stick with nice low frets on the Gibson as that's part of its appeal... thinking 0.7 - 0.8mm would probably be ideal. At the moment I'd say they're about 0.6mm.

My Ibanez RG770 is another story entirely with tall frets... essentially it's like having a scalloped fingerboard where I can push the string into the "void" between the frets to avoid catching another string.

Two guitars with a different approach to playing style!
RionZ
Poster

Post by apaclin »

Wonks wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:13 am Can you just confirm which end of the pocket the shim went, A or B?

It's B of course.

RionZ wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:23 pm I actually have incredibly low frets (like paper matches from a matchbook laid across the finger board is one apt description I saw somewhere).

Are there any benefits of low/high frets?
apaclin
Regular