Now, Listen Up - Possible source of ear infection?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Now, Listen Up - Possible source of ear infection?

Post by OneWorld »

Might not amount to a whole hill of beans, but might have relevance. I have a pair of trusty old pair of Beyer DT100 headphones which I must have had for decades. Anyway, I noticed the ear pads were looking tatty and took them off, and noticed the inner foam pad was, well, to put it bluntly....manky. Well we never clean these things do we? And over the years gather muck, and I am not one of those people that needs regular ear de-waxing. Anyway, I got to wondering if there is any possibility of manky erar causing ear infection, they do look unhygienic, any I've order replacement ear muffs and foam inners off YouKnowWhoBay.

You heard it here first :-)
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Re: Now, Listen Up - Possible source of ear infection?

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Yes there is a possibility of ear infection, and yes, some of us do clean the earpads regularly, and replace them occasionally.

There are lots of websites that explain what you need and the process of how to clean earbuds and headphones, such as:

https://www.soundguys.com/how-to-clean- ... nes-30295/

https://www.howtogeek.com/664669/how-to ... d-earbuds/
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38833 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Nazard »

Your own ear wax is unlikely to be a potential source of infection, although someone else's might.

Apart from the infection, prevention element, worn out earpads stop the 'phones working as the manufacturer intended, plus new ones feel like you've bought new 'phones, for relatively little outlay!
Nazard
Frequent Poster

Post by OneWorld »

Trevor Johnson wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:41 am Your own ear wax is unlikely to be a potential source of infection, although someone else's might.

Apart from the infection, prevention element, worn out earpads stop the 'phones working as the manufacturer intended, plus new ones feel like you've bought new 'phones, for relatively little outlay!

Yep, sort of makes sense, as the headphones are the last interface between the music itself and the inner workings of one's auditory system, they need care and attention
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by Albatross »

Search for 'Sanitary Headphone Covers'.

But yes, my own DT100s came out of storage, didn't get a clean and gave me a very nasty ear infection.

I've got leather ear pads that I made myself some years ago, it was them what did it.

I've noticed some BBC presenters (in the studio podcast things) who have those disposable covers... don't have any but it makes perfect sense.
Albatross
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2400 Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:00 am Location: Airstrip 1, Eurasia

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Good point. I've used these (below) from Amazon when I've been working with clients through the pandemic and needed to provide headphones. They are available in several different sizes to fit most headphones. They provide as much peace of mind as protection from contamination, but that visual indication that hygiene is being thought about is often important in a professional setting!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanitary-Headp ... B0149UTNA4

Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38833 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by BWC »

After a little help from the fine folks here, I recently bought a pair of HD 600's. The pads are a soft, fuzzy material, rather than a leather or vinyl type of thing. Any advice on the best way to go about regular cleaning of the fuzzy pads?
BWC
Regular
Posts: 475 Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 am Location: FL, US
BWC

Post by Martin Walker »

BWC wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:46 am After a little help from the fine folks here, I recently bought a pair of HD 600's. The pads are a soft, fuzzy material, rather than a leather or vinyl type of thing. Any advice on the best way to go about regular cleaning of the fuzzy pads?

I think the general consensus is to hand-wash them in warm water with a dab of soap. then rinse them thoroughly to remove all trace of the soap, then let them dry thoroughly in a warm environment (not a clothes dryer)

On the other hand, you could try just giving them a little attention with an anti-bacterial wipe, although I've not tried that myself.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Eddy Deegan »

I'm now using the larger ones (L-12CM) of these on my AKG 702s.

10 pairs of covers for fractionally over a quid a pair. Brilliant! :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by OneWorld »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:42 am Good point. I've used these (below) from Amazon when I've been working with clients through the pandemic and needed to provide headphones. They are available in several different sizes to fit most headphones. They provide as much peace of mind as protection from contamination, but that visual indication that hygiene is being thought about is often important in a professional setting!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sanitary-Headp ... B0149UTNA4

They seem like a good idea, they will also preserve the ear pads which tend to see the vinyl flaking off, and very cheap too
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

Good for tracking cans but how much do they affect the high end when using them with decent open back headphones?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19585 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Nothing that I've noticed ... the material is ultra flimsy yet resilient. I don't have the best high frequency hearing on the planet by a long shot but academically, based on the physics of the covers I've got here, I'd be amazed if anyone could detect attenuation as a result of using them.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects