New Hydrasynth Models

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New Hydrasynth Models

Post by jjlonbass »

resistorman wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:04 am
Martin Walker wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:26 pm
John Stafford wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:22 am I don't mind external PSUs if they have a separate mains cable. I hate the ones that are just a fat plug.

I believe the distinction is that those with a separate mains cable generally get called 'line lumps', whereas the ones with the PSU built into the mains plug are termed 'wall warts'.

Martin

A lot of gear runs on standard voltages with somewhat standard coaxial plugs, so it's easy to swap out the type of PSU.

It would be nice if manufacturers of the sort of gear we use would standardise on a connector, voltage and polarity for low-voltage powered equipment. That would make it possible to use a "beefy" external DC PSU to power lots of gear.

John
jjlonbass
Regular
Posts: 106 Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:52 pm Location: Ware, Hertfordshire UK

Post by BigRedX »

Regarding external PSUs, I play in a band with two guitarists who each use a single multi-effects foot pedal (one has a Line6 Pod and other a Boss unit of some description) which require external PSUs. In the 5 years I've been with them both have had to replace these PSUs several times due to gigging wear and tear on the cables (usually on the low voltage side). On the other hand with my Line6 Helix Floor I just plug in my standard mains cable. If there was a problem I have a spare in my cable case.

If it was me I would, by now, have considered mounting both the effects unit and its PSU on a pedal board to avoid having the continually plug and unplug the PSU, but it kind of defeats the object of having a convenient all-in-one (relatively) compact unit, if the first thing you have to do to make it reliable is the increase its on-stage footprint.

External PSUs may offer significant cost savings which can be passed on to the end user, but in the long term for those who gig these devices, the cost of reliable replacement PSUs can soon add up and may even work out more expensive is the device itself has a long useful life.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster (Level2)
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by Chimera »

Good thread this, I do wish we had an uptick facility. So much I agree with on the wall warts. If manufacturers HAVE to have an external PSU then they could as a minimum provide a UK plug to lead to PSU then another decent quality lead with a locking screw as Moog did with the Matriarch. I can live with a wall wart for a guitar FX pedal for under £100 but a synth costing multiples of that figure. Nah! You’re havin a laugh!
Chimera
Regular
Posts: 268 Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:00 am Location: Wirral
Mac Studio Ultra M2
64GB.

Post by t-sun »

Hydrasynth models demoed at Superbooth last week:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLRQpNG5Ka8

The little touches on the Deluxe such as changing the LED colors based on whether you're using the Upper or Lower section in Multi-mode really do speak to the quality and thought put into them. I was also amazed that they've even included velocity for the note-off signal. I've got my pre-order in for the Explorer.
t-sun
Regular

Post by rACed2 »

Ordered mine today but was told January as likely delivery date!
rACed2
Regular
Organ, synth’s x2 Not enough time or talent.

Post by The Elf »

I'm being told December, so not so far off. I'm afraid this is the new world we live in: gear announcements months, if not years, ahead of delivery date, pre-order and cross your fingers.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19937 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Folderol »

The Elf wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:20 am I'm being told December, so not so far off. I'm afraid this is the new world we live in: gear announcements months, if not years, ahead of delivery date, pre-order and cross your fingers.

No, this is the old world :lol:
FWIW I can clearly remember the days when almost any purchase other than basics such as food took at least 2 months, and when dad bought a new car for the first time it was 6-8 months :o
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18057 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by rACed2 »

So has anyone got delivery of a Delux yet?
rACed2
Regular
Organ, synth’s x2 Not enough time or talent.

Post by The Elf »

rACed2 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:19 pm So has anyone got delivery of a Delux yet?

The last communication I received told me that despatch had been brought forward from 10th December to 22nd October, but so far... nothing.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Post by t-sun »

I actually checked on that with sweetwater yesterday and was told late November for an explorer
t-sun
Regular

Post by MarkOne »

There is of course a reasonably sensible and elegant solution to the external PSU issue. But it would probably require some kind of legislation, like the EU have just enacted in the smartphone market.

That is to mandate a USB C Power Delivery socket on everything, that requires external power. Universal, There are already multi-output high power chargers out there, and I could well imagine some of the more niche MI companies coming up with power distribution blocks for stage or studio use.

And you can get some nice robust woven sheath USB C cables that seem a lot more gig-ready than a lot of the bell wire efforts outs there with some synths (I’m looking at you Roland)
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2713 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by The Elf »

...right up until USB-D arrives! ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster