SPIDIF to Optical. Does it work ?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

SPIDIF to Optical. Does it work ?

Post by Matthew Seed »

Hi guys, I just bought a Fractal Audio AXE FX 3 and I wanted to connect it to my UAD Apollo Twin.

The AXE FX has an SPDIF output and the UAD has optical in.

Is that a none compatible scenario? Or is there a cable for that which would be good?

Thanks for any help.
Matthew
Matthew Seed
Regular

Re: SPIDIF to Optical. Does it work ?

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

If you're in UK this converter box is readily available, I used it and it works. Note that it does not include the optical cable, or the S/Pdif cable, or the USB power plug. But those are readily available elsewhere (or you probably have them already).
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2552 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by Matthew Seed »

Hi there, thanks for this. Is there such a thing as quality when it comes to something like this. Or is digital - digital !

I guess what I’m saying is I’m plugging a £2300 modelling amp into a £1000 UAD preamp with a £10 box.

I don’t want it to be a case of being the weakest link.

Or is a more expensive one no better quality.

Thanks
Matt
Matthew Seed
Regular

Post by James Perrett »

A £10 box like this should work fine - it is probably very similar to the input and output stages of your other units. I use something similar to hook up a Mini-disc player to the rest of my setup. There are possibly issues if you are using high sample rates with some budget units but you should soon hear if there are problems with dropouts and clicks in the signal.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Matthew Seed wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:52 pm Hi there, thanks for this. Is there such a thing as quality when it comes to something like this. Or is digital - digital !

The electronics involved are very simple and the few components needed are very cheap. The power supply and the case are probably the most expensive parts!
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38834 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by ef37a »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:21 pm
Matthew Seed wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:52 pm Hi there, thanks for this. Is there such a thing as quality when it comes to something like this. Or is digital - digital !

The electronics involved are very simple and the few components needed are very cheap. The power supply and the case are probably the most expensive parts!

Yes, I took one apart and it used a HEX inverter chip, a very fast switch. One way it is fed from an opto-diode and the other it drives an IR LED whole thing is smaller than a postage stamp.
I used a pair for some time getting signals in and out of a MD recorder and 2496 sound card. Never noticed any quality loss at all.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Matthew Seed »

Thank you all for the advice. I shall make a purchase.

Thanks again
Matthew
Matthew Seed
Regular