Should I update?

For current or would-be users of Apple Mac computers, with answers to many FAQs.

Moderator: Moderators

Should I update?

Post by DAGGILARR »

Hi. I am currently running Mojave. I have resisted updating as there were some 32 bit progs I needed for work. As I no longer use those, I am wondering what are the benefits of moving to Big Sur. Will I see a performance improvement? I am using an iMac 2014 i7 4.0 with SSD and 32 GB ram to run Logic.
DAGGILARR
Frequent Poster
Posts: 765 Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:00 am Location: Exeter, Devon.
iMac 27" i7 2.9gh 2010 12GB ram, Focusrite Pro24DSP.

Re: Should I update?

Post by Howdy Doody Time »

Mac has moved beyond Big Sur, latest is Monterey. I checked compatibility with Steinberg and Monterey and it looks good, unless you are running one of the new Mac Silicon chips, then it's Rosetta 2 translating on the fly, which is an astonishing feat really, but for complex DAW's I'd want to check it first. Waves plugins are similarly listed as running. UAD I'm not sure about. If you google it you'll find compatibility checklists. I'm not updating, until I see what bugs and niggles emerge. If it aint broke etc.
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
Posts: 806 Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:00 am Location: Huai Yai, Chon Buri, Siam
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Post by Watchmaker »

If you have to ask the answer is no! j/k but the answer lies in your use of the computer and whether you are limited in some meaningful way by your current set up. Absent debilitating performance issues or a gaping security threat, there's no compelling need to upgrade despite the allure of being at the cutting edge.

My experience has taught me to value stability over newness when it comes to computing environments.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1146 Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 am Location: Upstate NY, USA
Where does sound exist?

Post by BigRedX »

My advice to people I give Mac support to as part of my job, is that you shouldn't upgrade unless some crucial bit of software you use absolutely requires it.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster (Level2)
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by Guest »

Don't do it.

I have been forced onto Big Sur from Mojave due to having to get a new Mac.

I see no advantages and huge numbers of disadvantages, only do it when you have to.

Post by Dave Rowles »

I only upgrade when the new version of logic no longer works on my current OS. even then I try to stay one behind. luckily I've got a local authorised repair shop that keeps previous OSs on sticks so I can get whatever I need :)

I'm on Big Sur, and I see nothing that makes me want to update in the latest version.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1452 Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 am Location: Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.com Teacher - Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.shop Music Shop - Isle of Man
https://www.facebook.com/mannin.sound - PA Hire/Sound Engineer - Isle of Man

Post by Humble Bee »

Never update, ever! Unless you really, really have to.
Humble Bee
Regular
Posts: 395 Joined: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:00 am Location: Cloughton Newlands

Post by in.name.only »

You’re on an 8 year old piece of kit so I doubt you’d see an improvement with new software. Probably the opposite, even if it’s well specced. Ultimately, Apple want you to keep updating your hardware.

Ps if you really must update, finish any projects first and get them bounced. My worst experience updating has been plugins not working, having to update them and trying to recreate the sound they made.
in.name.only
Poster

Post by Kwackman »

DAGGILARR wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:16 pmI am using an iMac 2014 i7 4.0 with SSD and 32 GB ram to run Logic.

IF upgrading to the latest OS your iMac can run means you can use a newer version of Logic, then maybe your question becomes, "Does this newer version of Logic have enough new facilities to improve my workflow?".
Let your DAW decide!
Kwackman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3206 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.