OK? Genelec 8010’s.

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

OK? Genelec 8010’s.

Post by Arpangel »

Looking at these for my cut-down laptop system, I need some speakers today, I’m using headphones, but hate them, I can’t use phones, they accentuate a problem in my right ear, it’s very annoying.
I looked at the i Loud monitors, but don’t like their shape, these are going to get used a lot in bed, or on the bed, and I just think the Genelecs are a better, more rounded shape for this, the i Louds look awkward.
If anyone has any better, cheaper solutions, I’d be very grateful, but the Genelecs are at the moment, almost bought.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: OK? Genelec 8010’s.

Post by Nazard »

I've listened to the 8010s a lot over the lasr few years, mainly as speakers in high-end audio-visual installations. They sound good, look good and are robust, which is probably why they are so popular. Never bought any, but on my shortlist for after our house move. And they work seamlessly with the sub, if you want one later.
Nazard
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Trevor Johnson wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:38 am I've listened to the 8010s a lot over the lasr few years, mainly as speakers in high-end audio-visual installations. They sound good, look good and are robust, which is probably why they are so popular. Never bought any, but on my shortlist for after our house move. And they work seamlessly with the sub, if you want one later.

Thanks Trevor, it’s not ideal, I know, but I’ve listened to some on-line demos of both the 8010, and the i Louds, based on this alone, I can hear the differences, and they aren’t subtle.
I prefer the 8010’s, the i Louds sound very hyped, lots of everything, I don’t like that sound, I much prefer the more balanced sound of the Genelecs.
The Louds have much more bass, but it’s exaggerated, and the top end is edgy.
Looks like the Genelecs then!

:)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

This is a whole new standard of equipment reviews! :shocked:

Here are the views of someone who has actually listened to them in real life:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/genelec-8010a

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ik ... loud-micro
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39015 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:20 am This is a whole new standard of equipment reviews! :shocked:

Here are the views of someone who has actually listened to them in real life:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/genelec-8010a

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/ik ... loud-micro

Interesting,

What Paul White says about the 8020’s

"for monitoring in small rooms with difficult acoustics, as a mobile reference when working in different studios, or for confirmation monitoring when recording on location, they actually do a great job. In fact, my only minor concern is that two-pin power connector — if the rest of your system works from power adaptors (as many laptops and interfaces do) you may end up having no mains earth connection at all, and that can sometimes lead to problems with interference or shocks from static build-up."

The earthing concerns could apply to my situation, and difficult acoustics definitely apply.
However, he didn’t seem to have any major issues with the sound.

Paul on the i Louds.

"I did find the sound more natural with the HF set to its -3dB setting but that could just be my room, as I often have to do the same when auditioning other speakers."

Room aside, this may explain what I heard elsewhere about the strident top end, it’s not a uncommon remark about these.
They’ve got both at our local dealer, and they’ve got a dem room, so I’ll check them both out, but my instinct is for the Genelecs, I like the form factor, size, I’m not worried about deep bass extension, these are for away from home listening, I need something rugged, and fairly neutral, too much bass could be a disaster.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by MarkOne »

Arpangel wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:54 am... I’ve listened to some on-line demos of both the 8010, and the i Louds, based on this alone,...

This is the equivalent surely, of making an assessment of Van Gogh's Starry Night over Arles from a photo of it, taken on an iPhone 4 that has a scratched lens, through a dirty window, in low light and then posted on the web as a 640x480 JPEG and printed on a 10 year old CMYK epson printer with a knackered print head.

In other words... Pointless
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2742 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by MOF »

it’s not ideal, I know, but I’ve listened to some on-line demos of both the 8010, and the i Louds, based on this alone, I can hear the differences, and they aren’t subtle

This reminded me of a cartoon I saw some years ago of a couple watching an advert for a new television on their old television, the speech bubble said ‘there’s no point in buying it, it’s no better than our television’

Were these demos done in the exact same speaker and microphone positions with the same microphone?
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by MOF »

This is a whole new standard of equipment reviews! :shocked:

Maybe SOS should think about employing this new way of reviewing equipment. :lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

MarkOne wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:29 am
Arpangel wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:54 am... I’ve listened to some on-line demos of both the 8010, and the i Louds, based on this alone,...

This is the equivalent surely, of making an assessment of Van Gogh's Starry Night over Arles from a photo of it, taken on an iPhone 4 that has a scratched lens, through a dirty window, in low light and then posted on the web as a 640x480 JPEG and printed on a 10 year old CMYK epson printer with a knackered print head.

In other words... Pointless

I disagree, you can actually hear important differences, if they are large enough.
I was listening on my MacBook, with a Behringer 202 interface, using a pair of Sennheiser HD25 phones, that’s a bit better than listening through the Laptop speakers, or on an i Pad.
Besides, it’s only a rough listen, I’m not taking it seriously, I’ll decide when we go to the shop this afternoon, but these things can be interesting as rough guides, when making a list to audition.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by resistorman »

Arpangel wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:54 am Thanks Trevor, it’s not ideal, I know, but I’ve listened to some on-line demos of both the 8010, and the i Louds,

I read that and I thought to myself: "Ooooh, Arpy's done stepped in it now!" :lol:
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2692 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Arpangel »

resistorman wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:53 am
Arpangel wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:54 am Thanks Trevor, it’s not ideal, I know, but I’ve listened to some on-line demos of both the 8010, and the i Louds,

I read that and I thought to myself: "Ooooh, Arpy's done stepped in it now!" :lol:

Yes!
But this picture analogy, come on, I can see if a picture has more blue in it than green, from a copy of a copy of a copy through the wrong end of a telescope, at least I’ve established that it’s got more blue, and I don’t like blue, that’s that one eliminated.
You can hear if something has inordinate amounts of bass, or top, through quite crappy equipment.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by MOF »

But this picture analogy, come on, I can see if a picture has more blue in it than green, from a copy of a copy of a copy through the wrong end of a telescope, at least I’ve established that it’s got more blue, and I don’t like blue, that’s that one eliminated.

You’re assuming that there is a consistent white balance along the chain, that’s why I asked you if the speaker tests were done in exactly the same place with the same microphone.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Arpangel wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:01 pm You can hear if something has inordinate amounts of bass, or top, through quite crappy equipment.

True, but only if it has been recorded in a decent environment in the first place.
You never hear the speaker, you hear the speaker and the room together. Stick a decent speaker in a boomy room and it will still sound boomy. Stick a half decent speaker in a decent room and it will still sound half-decent.

I know you know this Arpangel, but other people, new to this stuff, will also be reading this thread.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24626 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Arpangel »

blinddrew wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:36 pm
Arpangel wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:01 pm You can hear if something has inordinate amounts of bass, or top, through quite crappy equipment.

True, but only if it has been recorded in a decent environment in the first place.
You never hear the speaker, you hear the speaker and the room together. Stick a decent speaker in a boomy room and it will still sound boomy. Stick a half decent speaker in a decent room and it will still sound half-decent.

I know you know this Arpangel, but other people, new to this stuff, will also be reading this thread.

Excessive bass, some of it may be coming from the room it was recorded in, but what if it wasn’t recorded in a room at all, the music was electronically generated? there are no reference points, as to what it "should" sound like, and synths sound different through different speakers.
Agreed, a boomy room will add its sound, but you need to choose a speaker that will work best in that room, one that isn’t inherently bass heavy, or boomy, this is reality, and how most of us with home studios that can’t be treated choose monitors.
I’ve always tried to choose monitors that work in a particular room, and I have my preferences beyond that, that’s why I asked about the speakers here.
I have my own opinions about monitoring and monitors, and it’s very personal, I’m not suggesting others starting out should take it on board, it’s just how I think, my perspective, some may be interested, some not.
Monitors for recording purposes are to me, not the most important thing to worry about, I believe we can work with anything, in any room, if need be, and still produce great recordings, well, some can.
There’s no other subject in recording that gets people going as much as this, but honestly, I really don’t take it seriously, it’s not important, we are led to believe certain things, that may have worked for someone, somewhere, at sometime, but that was them, it might not work for me.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ManFromGlass »

I’ve been mixing on the same Genelecs for more than 25 years.
I can get a good mix on them.
I like them.
Get them if they are calling to you. What’s the worst that can happen? You re-sell them or take them back?
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6674 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Arpangel wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:25 pm
blinddrew wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:36 pm

Excessive bass, some of it may be coming from the room it was recorded in, but what if it wasn’t recorded in a room at all, the music was electronically generated? there are no reference points, as to what it "should" sound like, and synths sound different through different speakers.
Agreed, a boomy room will add its sound, but you need to choose a speaker that will work best in that room, one that isn’t inherently bass heavy, or boomy, this is reality, and how most of us with home studios that can’t be treated choose monitors.
I’ve always tried to choose monitors that work in a particular room, and I have my preferences beyond that, that’s why I asked about the speakers here.
I have my own opinions about monitoring and monitors, and it’s very personal, I’m not suggesting others starting out should take it on board, it’s just how I think, my perspective, some may be interested, some not.
Monitors for recording purposes are to me, not the most important thing to worry about, I believe we can work with anything, in any room, if need be, and still produce great recordings, well, some can.
There’s no other subject in recording that gets people going as much as this, but honestly, I really don’t take it seriously, it’s not important, we are led to believe certain things, that may have worked for someone, somewhere, at sometime, but that was them, it might not work for me.

I was referring to the idea of judging speakers, even superficially, based on a youtube video - or any other kind of recording.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24626 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Arpangel wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 1:25 pmThere’s no other subject in recording that gets people going as much as this, but honestly, I really don’t take it seriously, it’s not important, we are led to believe certain things, that may have worked for someone, somewhere, at sometime, but that was them, it might not work for me.

The issues here, Tony, are first that you are drawing conclusions about relative sound quality without any knowledge of the circumstances in which those videos were created. You simply don't know what the speakers sounded like in the room because you weren't there, and you don't know how the sound was captured, how it was processed, what mangling went on before and during the upload or -- most importantly -- how the situations compared for the two different videos.

In other words, there was no valid consistent frame of reference other than that you watched them both on Youtube from your laptop!

But how you form your own opinions is of no interest to me.

What does matter to me, a lot -- and this is the second issue -- is that on the world's most respected music technology magazine's forum you are presenting your unbelievably dubiously obtained 'opinion' of the relative merits of these two speakers as if it was a valid and accurate one!

It's utter nonsense, and if it weren't for the fact that several more sensible forum members have already questioned and highlighted the lunacy of it I would have binned this thread!

Perhaps if you actually go and listen to both speakers in person, in the same room and at the same time, your experiences and opinion might be worth sharing. As it is, you do yourself and this forum no favours!
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39015 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Guest »

Trevor Johnson wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:38 am I've listened to the 8010s a lot over the last few years

…I use them for confirmation monitoring when recording. Recently I did a few mixes using them as monitors in my recording room, just for fun.(I usually do my mixing in another room) They were perfectly adequate for me. My main monitors for mixing are usually 8030s, but it didn’t take me long to adjust to the 8010s. Just my experience.

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:15 pm As it is, you do yourself and this forum no favours!

A post about choosing speakers, there are other agendas going on here.
I got he Genelecs, obviously superior.
My gad, this is all crazy, favours? why would I want to do anyone, or myself, any favours at my age?
I’ve just had enough, of music, technology, and life, especially technology.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Guest »

Maybe music and arts is more important right now than we may realize…