field recording mics

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

field recording mics

Post by Drongoloid »

hi.
I do a bit of location recording using a mixpre 3 and a couple of omni Sennheisers (ME62s). I am keen to try some cardioids in ORTF and am thinking about which mics to go for. I have the Rode TF5s, Neumann KM184s and the Sennheiser MKH 8040s in mind. The latter are clearly more expensive and crop up in many field recordists lists of gear but I am interested in people's views on any obvious pros and cons with respect to these 3.
many thanks
Drongoloid
Regular
Posts: 94 Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:00 am Location: P for Elterwater

Re: field recording mics

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Much easier to fit ORTF 8040s into a decent windshield than any of the others -- and that makes the choice a no-brainer, surely?

Added to which the 8040s are virtually immune to changing humidity which is important when working outdoors.

They are expensive, but they will keep theiring term value better than any of the others. My MKH 20/30/40s are now worth more second hand than I paid for them 10-20 years ago!

And the quality of the 8040s does justice to the mixpre recorder, too.

https://rycote.com/microphone-windshiel ... -kit-ortf/
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38836 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by MOF »

I don’t know of a large enough windshield to house an ORTF setup using microphones such as the KM184 (don’t underestimate the amount of wind noise you encounter outdoors). You could maybe put knuckle joints in microphones with detachable capsules and orientate the whole system 90 degrees so that they’re pointing left and right.
I have the MKH 30 and 60 mid/side system stacked one above the other, though you’d probably want to replace the 60 with a 50 or 40.
MOF
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2260 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by Arpangel »

Does the OP actually have the mic's he mentions? I think he’s considering them.
If he’s starting from scratch, the 8040's and the Rycote Hugh mentions would probably be the cheaper option, maybe, than an MKH30/40 combo and the Rycote shield for those.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Drongoloid »

Arpangel wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:51 pm Does the OP actually have the mic's he mentions? I think he’s considering them.
If he’s starting from scratch, the 8040's and the Rycote Hugh mentions would probably be the cheaper option, maybe, than an MKH30/40 combo and the Rycote shield for those.

hi, no I don't have any of them at present
Drongoloid
Regular
Posts: 94 Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:00 am Location: P for Elterwater

Post by MOF »

the 8040's and the Rycote Hugh mentions would probably be the cheaper option, maybe, than an MKH30/40 combo and the Rycote shield for those.

I thought the 8040s were more expensive, maybe at one time they were, but I see you’re right.
MOF
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2260 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by forumuser840717 »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 1:22 pm My MKH 20/30/40s are now worth more second hand than I paid for them 10-20 years ago!

I didn't realise they were giving them away 10-20 years ago :tongue:
forumuser840717
Regular

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:lolno::round1::D
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38836 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Arpangel »

I’d go for the 8040 Rycote combo, those mics look very good indeed as a small ORTF rig.
Not sure how they sound against a pair of 40’s, that’s what we all want to know.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Bob Bickerton »

I use MKH 8040s often for field recording in ORTF or Gerzon arrays and I believe they’re just about the best for this application.

All this talk of field microphones has got me thinking about using my MKH 8020s in the field. If I’m travelling light I’ll take a pair of Rode miniature omni mics wired up to a Zoom F1 and whilst they’re a little noisy, I do like their spacious imagery. Could be interesting to try the 8020s and not have the noise penalty.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5085 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand

Post by Arpangel »

Bob Bickerton wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:25 am I use MKH 8040s often for field recording in ORTF or Gerzon arrays and I believe they’re just about the best for this application.

All this talk of field microphones has got me thinking about using my MKH 8020s in the field. If I’m travelling light I’ll take a pair of Rode miniature omni mics wired up to a Zoom F1 and whilst they’re a little noisy, I do like their spacious imagery. Could be interesting to try the 8020s and not have the noise penalty.

Bob

I always say to people, try and get the best mic you can afford, or just the best!
Some mic's may be good enough for rock-n-roll, but if you’re trying to capture quiet sounds "in the field" there’s nothing more distracting than a bit of unwanted noise
This is what you’re paying for in a good mic, good tone, and low noise.
I’m lucky to have bought my MKH's when I did, I’m sure, that if I hadn’t, I’d be on here regularly asking about better mic's, as they say, buy right first time, and then all you have to do is get on with it, you’re not constantly worrying about a weak link.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Guest »

Very expensive but well worth it and most convenient for this kind of application:
https://schoeps.de/en/products/ccm/ccm- ... ccm-4.html

Very compact, and no, they don’t just get used indoors to record classical music.