Avid EUCON iPad control surface app - free!

Post your own hardware/software reviews.

Moderator: Moderators

Avid EUCON iPad control surface app - free!

Post by The Elf »

Thank you for this one @noisefleur! :thumbup::clap:

I've just begun using this iPad (also available for Android, I believe) app with Cubase and it is gob-smacking!

https://www.avid.com/products/avid-control

I've no idea how well it works with other DAWs, but with Cubase it is a dream.

It's a fully-featured control surface, meter bridge, channel editor et al, conversant with Cubase's functions to an almost insane level of detail... Great though this all is, it's not what has me salivating.

Best of all... customisable soft buttons (12 that can follow you around on other pages, and 24-per-page that are under a dedicated tab.

Under Cubase 11 the system fires up with 91 (yes, you read that correctly - 91!) pages of pre-configured soft buttons (OK, not every button on every page is populated, but still...), covering so many Cubase functions I gave up trying to take them all in. Instead I deleted the lot and made my own couple of pithy pages to keep me sane and happy; I'll clearly have room to expand as the need takes me.

Creating a button is easy - select a button on the desktop app; click' command' to go into the editor; add a new EUCON command - over to the right is a long selection list of all the commands within Cubase; name/colour/iconise your button and you're done. But that's only the start...

The buttons created can invoke *multiple* Cubase commands, including those that would normally constitute a Cubase Macro - meaning that once created I just copy my EUCON file into DropBox, import it anywhere I'm working, and all my Macros will be there with me.

No more having to try to keep Macros and custom key combos in step between sites any more - one file import and I'm done!

I'll probably be back to this thread with more tales of this little beauty. I think my days of creating custom Cubase iPad panels in other apps may be over...

Now read the last word in the title of this thread again!
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20053 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Avid EUCON iPad control surface app - free!

Post by n o i s e f l e ur »

Handy info re: networking and EuCon, interop w/ AoIP, network storage etc.

https://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-p ... d-this-now

Couple of little tips in there that could apply to even the simplest Avid Control app running on a tablet over the home Wi-Fi setup.

Might save a headache or three.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Post by IAA »

I've no idea how well it works with other DAWs, but with Cubase it is a dream.

Works perfectly with Logic too. I often use it when tracking piano and having the iPad next time is useful rather than cross over to my desk. Logic remote is of course the other option for Logic users.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by Luke W »

It's a fantastic app, EuCon is very powerful. This paired with an Avid Dock is the centre of my setup, but all the hard work is done by the app. Once you get used to using it it'd be hard to live without.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1542 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by chris... »

:cry:
n o i s e f l e ur wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:04 am Handy info re: networking and EuCon

For what it's worth, I have three "artist mix" units and one "transport". They each have a connection into the wired ethernet switch which comprises my home network, along with my Macs, WiFi access points, assorted "smart" devices, and of course, the main router connecting to the big, bad world. No separate networks/subnets etc. Never had a problem. Perhaps I've just been lucky.

Ah yes, I recently bought some 2.1mm DC jack splitters so am now running the above four units off just two PSUs (I *think* there's sufficient juice) which makes the desk a fair bit tidier. Which is nice!
chris...
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2718 Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:00 am Location: Sunny Glasgow

Post by n o i s e f l e ur »

It's more of a best practices guide for people running AoIP systems (Dante, RAVENNA, AES67) alongside EuCon or accessing storage over the network.

The principals are sound and could help anyone having problems in more limited / sophisticated setups all the same.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Post by Luke W »

The only thing that bugged me with my particular setup was that it took a bit of tinkering to assign static IP addresses to my EUCON devices. There was no support for it at the time and I much prefer to work with static addresses, so the workaround I had to go with was to use DHCP and set up some rules at the router to assign the same address to each device each time.

There was talk of support being added, and I believe it was possible with the older Artist Series kit, but seeing as everything is still working and playing nicely I've not looked into it again since.

Not something that will bother a lot of people I'm sure, and the larger S series devices have built in DHCP servers, but it's something people have had issues with. It also may well have been added since I set up my rig, but just in case it catches anyone out...
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1542 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by The Elf »

As I feared, over at 'the other place' I can't get the iPad connected. No wi-fi here. In naivety I tried a lightning to USB cable to the PC, but nothing doing.

Any ideas, guys?
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by IAA »

and I believe it was possible with the older Artist Series kit,

Yes, I use a static address on my original Euphonix Mix.

It’s been a great control surface but the LEDs are beginning to go I think, which was one of the original issues IIRC.

Anyway might last till my studio gets its Mac update next year!
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by resistorman »

The Elf wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:41 pm As I feared, over at 'the other place' I can't get the iPad connected. No wi-fi here. In naivety I tried a lightning to USB cable to the PC, but nothing doing.

Any ideas, guys?

Cheap dedicated router?
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2693 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by The Elf »

resistorman wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:53 pm
The Elf wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:41 pm As I feared, over at 'the other place' I can't get the iPad connected. No wi-fi here. In naivety I tried a lightning to USB cable to the PC, but nothing doing.

Any ideas, guys?

Cheap dedicated router?

Yup - that's where my mind is headed. Ta!
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by ConcertinaChap »

IAA wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:26 am Works perfectly with Logic too. I often use it when tracking piano and having the iPad next time is useful rather than cross over to my desk. Logic remote is of course the other option for Logic users.

I use Logic remote quite a lot. How would you say the two compare?

TIA.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12957 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by IAA »

Sorry I missed this CC :oops:

Well, for normal mixing, I/c sends and levels etc I like to use the Avid control app, it’s simpler and by extension for mw at any rate, quicker.
My Artist mix is on the way out, so I’m using the iPad app pretty much exclusively.
IAA
Frequent Poster