Am I going nuts (or just ga-ga)?

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Am I going nuts (or just ga-ga)?

Post by ef37a »

Nothing to do with music but, I have downloaded 2 .pdf blood pressure logs as my doctor has suggested I monitor my BP. I have bought a machine. 20 quid from a local pharmacy and that works fine.
However, when I open the .pdf charts with Acrobat reader I find I cannot enter any text.

I was doing this for Blackstar some ten years ago with amp test data and I even tried the same W7 laptop I used then after giving up with W10.

So, what is the daft old fekker getting wrong?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16517 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Re: Am I going nuts (or just ga-ga)?

Post by Random Guitarist »

Are they definitely editable pdfs, or just standard pdfs you're supposed to print out?
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1028 Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:00 am Location: West Sussex UK
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Post by ef37a »

Random Guitarist wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 8:58 am Are they definitely editable pdfs, or just standard pdfs you're supposed to print out?

Wow! That's quick. How can I tell Random? I thought a .pdf was just a .pdf! The whole point of which being you could enter data?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

This is doing your blood pressure no good at all :)
We have to do the same thing Dave, but I use good old fashioned pen and paper, and show the doctor in person, "when" I can get an appointment :(
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by ef37a »

Arpangel wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:07 am This is doing your blood pressure no good at all :)
We have to do the same thing Dave, but I use good old fashioned pen and paper, and show the doctor in person, "when" I can get an appointment :(

Av' of 2 at 06:45 today 147/76. I actually did see a doctor face to covered face yesterday. She seemed quite anxious to be shot of me!

But yes, getting in is a bind that is why I thought a .pdf log and then I could email it in periodically. Have to find out how to do that though. I use 'systemonline' to get my drugs, probably a way in that.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by IAA »

but I use good old fashioned pen and paper,

This is what I do. Painless and fail safe.
IAA
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Sometimes I just write stuff down and send it as an Open Office/Word compatible document.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by BillB »

If it is anything liike this one
https://bihsoc.org/wp-content/uploads/2 ... _diary.pdf

There is nothing editable about it. I could convert yours to Word format if that would help.
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1915 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by Mike Stranks »

Hi Dave

What version of Word do you have - assuming you have it? As has been said, later versions have a PDF-Word converter built in...

On my new Win 11 laptop I have opted-out of 'Office' and am using this:

https://www.wps.com/

Comes with various PDF manipulation options... Works well and is compatible with Win 7...

I'm just a 'bread and butter' user and haven't explored if it can do some of the more esoteric functions that Excel, f'r instance, provides...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by BJG145 »

BillB wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:17 am If it is anything liike this one

https://bihsoc.org/wp-content/uploads/2 ... _diary.pdf

There is nothing editable about it. I could convert yours to Word format if that would help.

I've always found Acrobat Reader quite confusing and annoying. However, by clicking on the icon for "Sign document by typing or drawing a signature" in the toolbar (Acrobat Reader DC v2022), I was able to fill in the fields on that document and save it.

BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by resistorman »

I use Microsoft Edge as my PDF wrangler, and you can mark up PDFs with it. That's all it's good for these days, which is sad as it had a promising start when it went to chromium.
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by ef37a »

Thanks chaps.
Resistorman, I did get Edge to work but tis very fiddly and I cannot change the typeface or density.

I shall print out a form and do it by hand as advised, if I can get my scanner working I could still email it in.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

ef37a wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:11 pm I shall print out a form and do it by hand as advised, if I can get my scanner working I could still email it in.

Not sure what kind of phone (if any) you have Dave but I've not used my scanner in ages, a photo of an A4 doc comes through more than good enough for legibility purposes.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24573 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by ef37a »

blinddrew wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:30 pm
ef37a wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:11 pm I shall print out a form and do it by hand as advised, if I can get my scanner working I could still email it in.

Not sure what kind of phone (if any) you have Dave but I've not used my scanner in ages, a photo of an A4 doc comes through more than good enough for legibility purposes.

Good enough perhaps Drew but my colour scanner does not 'shake' or screw the geometry. I reckon I could do better with a proper camera than a phone?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by BillB »

I use 'Genius Scan' app on the iPad to scan, PDF and email receipts etc. Very painless once set up and understood - and it allows you to correct wonky perspectives. Also available on Android.
:thumbup:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Post by resistorman »

ef37a wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 4:11 pm
I shall print out a form and do it by hand as advised, if I can get my scanner working I could still email it in.

Dave.

Maybe you could take a picture with your phone and send that?
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by ef37a »

BillB wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 5:32 pm I use 'Genius Scan' app on the iPad to scan, PDF and email receipts etc. Very painless once set up and understood - and it allows you to correct wonky perspectives. Also available on Android.
:thumbup:

You don't GET "wonky perspectives with a scanner! Geez! Talk about re inventing the wheel!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by BillB »

Dave, you raised the concern about screwing the perspective with a phone, I’m just letting you know that the app can deal with it and, as Drew says, with plenty of resolution to be readable. I use it because I can’t take a scanner on the train, and also because it’s a lot easier even when I am in the office or at home. But if you can get your scanner working, carry on with what you like and know.
BillB
Frequent Poster

Post by ef37a »

BillB wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:47 pm Dave, you raised the concern about screwing the perspective with a phone, I’m just letting you know that the app can deal with it and, as Drew says, with plenty of resolution to be readable. I use it because I can’t take a scanner on the train, and also because it’s a lot easier even when I am in the office or at home. But if you can get your scanner working, carry on with what you like and know.

Yeah, I know Be' Just me being a cranky, flippant old sod!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by BJG145 »

Try the "Fill and Sign" button in Acrobat Reader.

https://helpx.adobe.com/acrobat/using/f ... -sign.html

Click on the button, click on the field, and type away.

(This is assuming that the form has been created with fields, but it probably has.)
BJG145
Longtime Poster