Is passive PA gear worth anything?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Is passive PA gear worth anything?

Post by DanR »

Hi
Just wondering if this type of PA equipment is still wanted.
I have an immaculate PA system - 2x EV SX300 plus Yamaha P7000s power amp, racked up. Adverts everywhere including here and eBay.
There’s a few days left on the listing but it’s a low bid at the moment.
The only option seems to be excepting a very low price.
Any experiences appreciated.
DanR
Regular
Posts: 462 Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:00 am Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: Is passive PA gear worth anything?

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I guess trends have moved on. The convenience of just being able to lug a couple of speakers in, or even just one for a small gig, is one factor; and never having to worry about whether you've correctly paired your amp with your speakers is another.
But ultimately, no matter how good something is, it's only worth what someone else is willing to pay. :(
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Sam Spoons »

That is good quality kit but quite old and PA speakers have come on a long way in the last few years. That said (looking at ebay completed listings) SX300's still seem to command strong money* so it all depends on getting a keen buyer/bidder or two.

* Pairs of SX300 fetching £300+ and P7000s selling for north of £350 recently so a realistic value is probably between £600 and £800 for your rig
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19589 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by DanR »

blinddrew wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:34 am I guess trends have moved on. The convenience of just being able to lug a couple of speakers in, or even just one for a small gig, is one factor; and never having to worry about whether you've correctly paired your amp with your speakers is another.
But ultimately, no matter how good something is, it's only worth what someone else is willing to pay. :(

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, that's true. The progress of technology.
On the plus side, it's probably better sounding than an equivalent Alto system.
DanR
Regular

Post by shufflebeat »

I've recently cleared out some similar gear, sx300 (x6), sb122, Yamaha/Studiomaster amps, Soundcraft/Mackie mixers.

After a couple of prospective trade-in attempts in which several unconnected shop owners said, "great gear, good condition, no good to me" I decided to separate off some of the outboard bits and just donate the rest.

I gave away a small but complete system to a local church (I'm not a "go-er" - and neither is my wife) and another to a local school we have connections with.

They say I see it, the value for this gear will only be in it's use. I know these groups will get value out of the it and I wouldn't.

They're not getting their mucky little mitts on my mics.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by DanR »

Sam Spoons wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:42 am That is good quality kit but quite old and PA speakers have come on a long way in the last few years. That said (looking at ebay completed listings) SX300's still seem to command strong money* so it all depends on getting a keen buyer/bidder or two.

* Pairs of SX300 fetching £300+ and P7000s selling for north of £350 recently so a realistic value is probably between £600 and £800 for your rig

Thanks.
Yes, it's up for about that.
Maybe seperate listings for amp, speakers and
the Behringer limiter would get more interest.
DanR
Regular

Post by Sam Spoons »

Maybe look at it as 'what does it owe me?' rather than 'what is it worth?'. If I have the correct listing you've had 8 bids so far and have nearly 6 days left to go so I think you'll probably get somewhere near your expectations (nearly half way there already), and selling as a package will certainly be simpler.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19589 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by DanR »

Sam Spoons wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:55 am Maybe look at it as 'what does it owe me?' rather than 'what is it worth?'. If I have the correct listing you've had 8 bids so far and have nearly 6 days left to go so I think you'll probably get somewhere near your expectations (nearly half way there already), and selling as a package will certainly be simpler.

DanR
Regular

Post by shufflebeat »

DanR wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:43 am
On the plus side, it's probably better sounding than an equivalent Alto system.

[bitter rant]
Well, the Alto stuff might actually sound ok in comparison - on the plus side with Alto gear you may not have to agonise over resale value as much as landfill guilt.
[/bitter rant]
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 9091 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by resistorman »

Usually my PA gear has made me many times over what I paid for it, so there's no such thing as selling it at a loss. Eurorack modules are quite another thing :lol:
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Luke W »

I've recently got rid of the majority of my PA gear, and although it took a while to sell it did all find a home.

It certainly went for less than it would have a few years back, but I was more interested in getting the space back than anything.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1526 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by DanR »

Thanks for the replies.
I’ll probably have to let it go for a cheap price but would be good to get back at least a 1/3rd of what I paid.
That would mean around £400.
DanR
Regular