Is passive PA gear worth anything?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Is passive PA gear worth anything?

Post by DanR »

Hi
Just wondering if this type of PA equipment is still wanted.
I have an immaculate PA system - 2x EV SX300 plus Yamaha P7000s power amp, racked up. Adverts everywhere including here and eBay.
There’s a few days left on the listing but it’s a low bid at the moment.
The only option seems to be excepting a very low price.
Any experiences appreciated.
DanR
Regular
Posts: 462 Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:00 am Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: Is passive PA gear worth anything?

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I guess trends have moved on. The convenience of just being able to lug a couple of speakers in, or even just one for a small gig, is one factor; and never having to worry about whether you've correctly paired your amp with your speakers is another.
But ultimately, no matter how good something is, it's only worth what someone else is willing to pay. :(
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24588 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Sam Spoons »

That is good quality kit but quite old and PA speakers have come on a long way in the last few years. That said (looking at ebay completed listings) SX300's still seem to command strong money* so it all depends on getting a keen buyer/bidder or two.

* Pairs of SX300 fetching £300+ and P7000s selling for north of £350 recently so a realistic value is probably between £600 and £800 for your rig
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19704 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by DanR »

blinddrew wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:34 am I guess trends have moved on. The convenience of just being able to lug a couple of speakers in, or even just one for a small gig, is one factor; and never having to worry about whether you've correctly paired your amp with your speakers is another.
But ultimately, no matter how good something is, it's only worth what someone else is willing to pay. :(

Thanks for the reply.
Yes, that's true. The progress of technology.
On the plus side, it's probably better sounding than an equivalent Alto system.
DanR
Regular

Post by shufflebeat »

I've recently cleared out some similar gear, sx300 (x6), sb122, Yamaha/Studiomaster amps, Soundcraft/Mackie mixers.

After a couple of prospective trade-in attempts in which several unconnected shop owners said, "great gear, good condition, no good to me" I decided to separate off some of the outboard bits and just donate the rest.

I gave away a small but complete system to a local church (I'm not a "go-er" - and neither is my wife) and another to a local school we have connections with.

They say I see it, the value for this gear will only be in it's use. I know these groups will get value out of the it and I wouldn't.

They're not getting their mucky little mitts on my mics.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9102 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by DanR »

Sam Spoons wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:42 am That is good quality kit but quite old and PA speakers have come on a long way in the last few years. That said (looking at ebay completed listings) SX300's still seem to command strong money* so it all depends on getting a keen buyer/bidder or two.

* Pairs of SX300 fetching £300+ and P7000s selling for north of £350 recently so a realistic value is probably between £600 and £800 for your rig

Thanks.
Yes, it's up for about that.
Maybe seperate listings for amp, speakers and
the Behringer limiter would get more interest.
DanR
Regular

Post by Sam Spoons »

Maybe look at it as 'what does it owe me?' rather than 'what is it worth?'. If I have the correct listing you've had 8 bids so far and have nearly 6 days left to go so I think you'll probably get somewhere near your expectations (nearly half way there already), and selling as a package will certainly be simpler.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by DanR »

Sam Spoons wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:55 am Maybe look at it as 'what does it owe me?' rather than 'what is it worth?'. If I have the correct listing you've had 8 bids so far and have nearly 6 days left to go so I think you'll probably get somewhere near your expectations (nearly half way there already), and selling as a package will certainly be simpler.

DanR
Regular

Post by shufflebeat »

DanR wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:43 am

[bitter rant]
Well, the Alto stuff might actually sound ok in comparison - on the plus side with Alto gear you may not have to agonise over resale value as much as landfill guilt.
[/bitter rant]
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9102 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by resistorman »

Usually my PA gear has made me many times over what I paid for it, so there's no such thing as selling it at a loss. Eurorack modules are quite another thing :lol:
resistorman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2691 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Luke W »

I've recently got rid of the majority of my PA gear, and although it took a while to sell it did all find a home.

It certainly went for less than it would have a few years back, but I was more interested in getting the space back than anything.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1536 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by DanR »

Thanks for the replies.
I’ll probably have to let it go for a cheap price but would be good to get back at least a 1/3rd of what I paid.
That would mean around £400.
DanR
Regular

Post by Mike Monte »

I for one use passive gear for the majority of my local sound-for-hire gigs.

What you have is (very usable) decent gear.

What I would do (if I were you) is sell-off the power amp and get a used powered mixer (I like the Yorkville M810 series...I'd stay away from anything Behringer as far as powered mixers go...) to go along with the speakers.
This way you'll have a small (but complete) PA to use in rehearsal or for small events.

Good passive gear is still very usable.
Mike Monte
Regular

Post by DanR »

Mike Monte wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:52 pm I for one use passive gear for the majority of my local sound-for-hire gigs.

What you have is (very usable) decent gear.

What I would do (if I were you) is sell-off the power amp and get a used powered mixer (I like the Yorkville M810 series...I'd stay away from anything Behringer as far as powered mixers go...) to go along with the speakers.
This way you'll have a small (but complete) PA to use in rehearsal or for small events.

Good passive gear is still very usable.

Thanks, good idea.
I bought it as a second PA originally but now it's
in our single garage studio for rehearsals.
Space is tight though.
Idea is to replace it with one or two Yamaha DBR10s as they're smaller and more versatile.
Useful for monitors.
Also have a Behringer Xenyx 1832 mixer.
DanR
Regular

Post by Rene Asologuitar »

DanR wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:27 am ***********************
Hi Dan, Passive gear do have value, and you have to be in .line with the prospective user for the price to be right for you.
Selling as a group will be simpler, but selling as individual item will produce a bit more buyers, but will take up more of your time.
Here in the US, I use Craigslist, and buy and sell gear, on an individual item.
Of course, the price is "used" pricing. And you can actually find out the resale price of a particular item, if it is not too old.
Rene

Rene Asologuitar
Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

DanR wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:42 pm Idea is to replace it with one or two Yamaha DBR10s as they're smaller and more versatile.
Useful for monitors.
Also have a Behringer Xenyx 1832 mixer.

That's what I would do, small powered cabs are always useful to have in the inventory.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by DanR »

Rene Asologuitar wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:08 pm
Hi Dan, Passive gear do have value, and you have to be in .line with the prospective user for the price to be right for you.
Selling as a group will be simpler, but selling as individual item will produce a bit more buyers, but will take up more of your time.
Of course, the price is "used" pricing. And you can actually find out the resale price of a particular item, if it is not too old.
Rene

Thanks.
The system has won a bid on Ebay but it doesn’t look like it’s going any further.
I may try selling the individual items or as a last resort, part ex at a store towards a new 10” active.

DanR
Regular

Post by DanR »

shufflebeat wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:51 pm
DanR wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:43 am

Well, the Alto stuff might actually sound ok in comparison

Yes. Having listened to an Alto TS2 series vs Yamaha DBR shoot out, the Alto does sound clearer. DBR has muted highs and slightly tubby mids in comparison.
Better handles on the Alto although I do like the mixer on the DBR.
I may consider a pair of TS310’s to replace the EV’s.
DanR
Regular

Post by DanR »

Well, not a great debut trying to sell the PA on Ebay. It's off now and the equiries were suspicious and time wasting. Took a while to figure it out.
Will be part exchanging it at a reputable store for some Yamaha DBR10s.
DanR
Regular

Post by Rene Asologuitar »

DanR wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:47 pm
Rene Asologuitar wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:08 pm
Rene

Thanks.
The system has won a bid on Ebay but it doesn’t look like it’s going any further.
I may try selling the individual items or as a last resort, part ex at a store towards a new 10” active.

Good luck

Rene Asologuitar
Poster