Am I missing something or is this a joke......

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Am I missing something or is this a joke......

Post by OneWorld »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224628613762 ... SwyFBhVIEF

And to think I just lobbed an old Win 7 quad core xeon on the tip the other day :-(
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Re: Am I missing something or is this a joke......

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Yeah, but yours wasn't 'retro'...
Drew Stephenson
Apprentice Guru
Posts: 25394 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Luke W »

:lol:

I've got a lovely CRT monitor that could be bundled with it. Matching vintage colour scheme, of course.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1586 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by MOF »

I’ve still got a lot of my early Mac computers, pizza box, G5 tower and a crt monitor etc.
Being an Apple fan I would say it’s a joke. ;):lol:
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2284 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by Moroccomoose »

I have an old Sam Coupe computer....based on ZX Spectrum architecture. It even has a dedicated MIDI connection! I'm lead to believe they are fetching similar sums! I also have a working Acorn Electron.... I keep meaning to cash them in! 🤣
Moroccomoose
Regular
Posts: 484 Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:00 am Location: Leicester

Post by FrankF »

I've kept my 2004 XP machine going all these years because I can't fit a SCSI card in my main PC (2011 vintage). I've changed the PSU, replaced the hard drive with an SSD, upped the RAM etc. etc.
I sometimes have to power it on with the tip of a screwdriver, but I'm still quite fond of it. Also, it was my introduction to films on DVD, before I got a domestic DVD player, so it provided me a lot of entertainment over t'years. Beautiful plumage, squire!

Can anyone beat 2004 for a working PC?
FrankF
Regular
Posts: 458 Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:00 am Location: La Vendée, France

Post by ef37a »

I still have Win 95 and 98 Msoft install discs. I wonder what they might fetch?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16987 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by FrankF »

ef37a wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:23 pm I still have Win 95 and 98 Msoft install discs. I wonder what they might fetch?

Dave.

I'd get them double-jabbed if I were you.
FrankF
Regular

Post by James Perrett »

I've still got my 1998 vintage Pentium 2 studio computer although I'm not sure if it still works. I still have all my old soundcards too including a Turtle Beach Multisound, TB Maui and a Zefiro ZA-2.
James Perrett
Posts: 14606 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by FrankF »

Close, James, but no cigarillo. :D
I still use mine for scsi .wav transfers, and it also runs Reaper, believe it or nay!
FrankF
Regular

Post by OneWorld »

ef37a wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:23 pm I still have Win 95 and 98 Msoft install discs. I wonder what they might fetch?

Dave.

They're fetching between £40-£80

Some time ago I sold a Win98 CD. I was about to bin it, but thought, out of curiosity, "I wonder if this is worth anything" I looked on eBay and wow they were selling for prices way about what I expected. I listed the disk at £30 buy it now and it was sold within the day.

But this computer I refer to in my original post - £700+ surely that is way beyond all expectations, would someone really pay that?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Murray B »

I would want a Zip drive too for that kind of money :lol:
Murray B
Regular
Posts: 394 Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Staffordshire

Post by MOF »

I would want a Zip drive too for that kind of money :lol:

I've still got one and all the disks with samples on, not sure if it works though. :lol:
I went to Akai HQ years ago with tons of floppies to transfer their library of S1000 samples (a free service for owners of their samplers, I just had to book a time slot), later they were put onto Zip drives and then imported into Logic's sampler.
MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2284 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by OneWorld »

Murray B wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:18 pm I would want a Zip drive too for that kind of money :lol:

Hmmm, come to think of it, I have a few of those collecting dust under the bench, and I’m sure I have a Jaz drive too. If all these retro things have value I got myself a little Sotheby’s
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by N i g e l »

I was going to quip that to replicate your 90's MIDI sequences to your synths authentically, you needed a 90's MIDI sequencer on a 90's PC. :lol:

but then I thought -

[TH1] 90's CAKEWALK MIDI sequencer had drivers for every MIDI interface and wrote directly to the hardware.

[TH2] 2020's CAKEWALK DAW writes MIDI data to a generic Windows interface which eventually works down through the windows layers to an interface manufacturers driver.

which one provides the most authentic timing ?

does it matter ?
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3895 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by Rich Hanson »

You have to bear in mind that older gear is much warmer :think:
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3356 Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: Sort of near Rochester, Kent, UK

Post by Mike Stranks »

Our approaching-4 grandson was here at the weekend... His mum was saying that she'd shown him a Bob the Builder episode recently. He kept asking 'What's that/what's he doing?' as Bob had taken a phone call on a landlinephone, then gone to his white/cream computer - complete with matching CRT monitor - and had then sent a fax...

The world moves on.... but not, apparently, for some if that advert is still to be believed.

I've just decomissioned my 9+ year old ex-SCAN i5 as it had suddenly started to slow down despite all my efforts at housekeeping and tuning. Replaced it with a small and virtually silent i7 with 16GB RAM and 512GB SSD... bought from Argos! :lol:
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by OneWorld »

Mike Stranks wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:51 am Our approaching-4 grandson was here at the weekend... His mum was saying that she'd shown him a Bob the Builder episode recently. He kept asking 'What's that/what's he doing?' as Bob had taken a phone call on a landlinephone, then gone to his white/cream computer - complete with matching CRT monitor - and had then sent a fax...

LOL :-)

The way we're going someone will advertise a pony and trap and describe it as a retro car!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by OneWorld »

James Perrett wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:04 pm I've still got my 1998 vintage Pentium 2 studio computer although I'm not sure if it still works. I still have all my old soundcards too including a Turtle Beach Multisound, TB Maui and a Zefiro ZA-2.

WOW, a Turtle Beach soundcard, they really were a classic, I drooled over them!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by OneWorld »

Murray B wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:18 pm I would want a Zip drive too for that kind of money :lol:

Really, at this price......

https://www.gumtree.com/p/samplers-sequ ... 1433584470

£150.00 !!!!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Murray B »

I can kind of understand a nostalgia for old computer games and equipment etc, but even then the emulators do a good enough job really. I can't understand why anyone would want an obsolete PC or storage system, I think I must be missing something too. :eh:
Murray B
Regular
Posts: 394 Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Staffordshire

Post by ken long »

Believe it or not, many people haven't migrated all their data off old storage systems. Could buy devices to do just that or offer a service to do just that.

I wonder if people will be as incredulous about optical drives in future when they become scarce(r).

Many young and aspiring engineers want to carve out careers in the industry by working in studios which no longer exist. When they could be making decent money ripping the mountains of CD-Rs and data discs that have yet to be saved.
ken long
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3531 Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:00 am Location: Somers Town
I'm All Ears.