Here is the Fairlight CMI III Library for free in (most) popular sampler formats

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Here is the Fairlight CMI III Library for free in (most) popular sampler formats

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

Here, for free is a properly looped mapped and tuned selection of most of the original Fairlight CMI III factory library. It is provided in the following formats:
Kontakt
EXS-24
NN-XT
Structure

The Kontakt version is compressed in its own folder to avoid problems with moving the directory. This is the only version I have tested properly. The other formats probably need a little tweaking so if anyone wants to improve those feel free to share the files and I will update this folder.

We created this using Redmatica Keymap, and I tweaked the Kontakt version after. So in many cases the loops and the tuning will be more accurate/ smoother than the original. In some cases where the voice is made up of a selection of dissimilar samples, the mapping might be a bit funky

My hope with this is to:

1. Help people make great music.

2. Bust some of the myths about the Fairlight. Now you can form your own opinion about these classic sounds.

3. I see a number of people trying to make money out of these sounds, selling them in Kontakt or to Fairlight owners at inflated prices. This is morally wrong.

4. There is some cork-sniffing in the Fairlight community, generating illogical arguments about having to own a Fairlight before you are entitled to use these sounds. Luckily I am friendly with some Fairlight owners who think this is silly, and my thanks to them for helping with these sounds.

5. Enjoy! Feedback/ discussion welcomed.

Moderator note:

We fully appreciate that this project was shared in a spirit of community and with the best of intentions. However there is some question as to the legality of providing the download link.

Sound On Sound has a clear policy insofar as the rights of copyright holders must always be respected. Despite requests for clarification from both Black Magic Design and one of the original Fairlight founders, no response was forthcoming.

It would be great if we did get a reply in due course, as I'm sure many of you will agree, and in the event we do then the link may be restored if Tomás wishes it to be. I'm equally sure you will all appreciate that in the absence of clarification as to the legal status our hands are tied at this time.

- Eddy Deegan (last update 29th June 2020)

Last edited by Eddy Deegan on Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2564 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Re: Here is the Fairlight CMI III Library for free in (most) popular sampler formats

Post by Ben Asaro »

Unfortunately, I cannot get the site to open!
Last edited by Ben Asaro on Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2364 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Re: Here is the Fairlight CMI III Library for free in (most) popular sampler formats

Post by The Elf »

Wow! Thank you! :clap::clap::clap::thumbup:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by muzines »

It's really fun playing the "spot this library sound you heard on a record and credited the artist for good sound design" game... :thumbup:
Last edited by muzines on Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by The Elf »

I promised myself that one day I'm going to figure out all the sounds in the jingly 'San Jacinto' sequence... but I probably never will! :lol:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20028 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

Ben Asaro wrote:Unfortunately, I cannot get the site to open!

Try it now, I fixed it and it's working for me now, I think there was a copy and paste typo in the link.
The Elf wrote:Wow! Thank you! :clap::clap::clap::thumbup:

You're welcome! And huge thanks to desmond for working so hard on it and instructing me in the dark art of Redmatica Keymap.
desmond wrote:It's really fun playing the "spot this library sound you heard on a record and credited the artist for good sound design" game... :thumbup:

:lol: good point, that's another myth potentially busted!
The Elf wrote:I promised myself that one day I'm going to figure out all the sounds in the jingly 'San Jacinto' sequence... but I probably never will! :lol:

I've tried, was beyond me. And to think they did that on the arcane Series II sequencer before Page R came along! Very impressive.
Last edited by Tomás Mulcahy on Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2564 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by BJG145 »

Brilliant, thanks Tomás!
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by Kevin A »

No download link?
Kevin A

Post by zenguitar »

The moderators note in blue text in the original post makes everything clear.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12553 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?