Snake oil - we have a winner?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Snake oil - we have a winner?

Post by Exalted Wombat »

Can anyone find a grain of justification in this rip-off?

https://www.russandrews.com/rans-1-hi-fi-review/
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5806 Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am Location: London UK
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Re: Snake oil - we have a winner?

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Well, at £960 for a switch box, unless you can find someone selling actual snake oil, then that has to be a competitor.
But I note from the review that it's actually half the price of its competitor.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by muzines »

Alan suggests that the RANS-1 offers a more subtle performance, “gently and quietly improving the lot of streamed audio by making it sound more ‘human’”.

Yes, it shows many audiophile qualities too -"Backgrounds are distinctly quieter, the treble is more refined and less harsh and forced sounding" - but it’s in its ability to present music in an unforced way, with ‘ease’ and ‘rhythm’ where it really excels.

Ah, hi-fi purists always need some way to convince themselves that spending more money improves things...
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by MarkOne »

Oh, good grief.

How come you can send an error free, (or at least error corrected) audio stream from a server somewhere in Silicon Valley multiplexed with thousands of other data packets over tiny threadlike glass fibres across oceans, through multiple hubs, switches, routers, and data centres along the way, down more fibre, probably down some Victorian copper to a router made in Shenzhen from the cheapest components the manufacturer could possibly specify, and somehow by putting this box between said router and streaming box, improve the data?
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2714 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by Mike Shand »

I had to laugh (or perhaps cry) when I read that it "improved" content streamed over the internet. Have they no idea how many switches, routers, DSLAMs, fibre drivers, bits of dodgy telephone copper etc. etc. the packets traverse on their way from the source? Not to mention buffering and packet loss.

Presumably the packets are "groomed" to remove the nasty "digital" sound!

:headbang:
Mike Shand
Regular
Posts: 57 Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:00 am Location: Cobham, Surrey, UK

Post by Mike Shand »

Sorry MarkOne for the almost duplicate post. Didn't see it.
Mike Shand
Regular
Posts: 57 Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:00 am Location: Cobham, Surrey, UK

Post by DGL. »

One joke being that for a regular switch that size the PSU would probably be a separate box anyway!
Hardly a fancy feature.
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1950 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by MarkOne »

Mike Shand wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:08 pm Sorry MarkOne for the almost duplicate post. Didn't see it.

No problem.

The issue with all these audiofool products is they take an idea from one engineering discipline and assume it applies universally. Power supply segregation is useful in DAC design, Cable capacitance is important in high impedance circuits, acoustic damping is important for turntables, connectors for microwave frequencies need to be special, etc.

By and large the people buying into it all are non-technical, even some of the product designers have a fairly dim grasp of how the technology actually works.

And confirmation bias will ensure you believe it all makes a difference. I’ve even heard someone in a hifi shop state that double blind testing is bad, because it puts unnecessary stress on the listener to make the right decision.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2714 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by forumuser840717 »

I wouldn't give houseroom to a switch as poorly built as that Russ Andrews thing.

The ones I use for location work are a mixture of Luminex Gigacore - I have three of the Gigacore 10 - and two Artel Quarra 1G Compact switches. Plus a bunch of Cisco 300 and 350 series and Dell 2808 / 2816 for less important things and where the ruggedness and management tricks of the Artel/Luminex kit aren't required.
forumuser840717
Regular

Post by RichardT »

There's a test I can think of that I've never heard anybody do. Maybe it wouldn't work, but I can't think of a reason why off the top of my head.

If a component is supposed to make a difference, why not set up a mic in front of the speakers (in a very quiet environment) and record the system with and without the component through a high class AD converter - then compare the two signals?

I wonder what the results would be in this case? :headbang:
RichardT
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4076 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Drew Stephenson »

RichardT wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:51 pm There's a test I can think of that I've never heard anybody do. Maybe it wouldn't work, but I can't think of a reason why off the top of my head.

If a component is supposed to make a difference, why not set up a mic in front of the speakers (in a very quiet environment) and record the system with and without the component through a high class AD converter - then compare the two signals?

I wonder what the results would be in this case? :headbang:

Well, the mic and speakers would be the weak point in the chain. Better to keep it in the electronic domain and see if anything even shows up on a null test.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

When im travelling, I like to read a copy of the Beano, but if I can't get that Hi-fi+ magazine is just as funny. It's for people with more disposable income than functional brain cells.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38837 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...