New mix for opinions.. please 😊

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New mix for opinions.. please 😊

Post by Drew Stephenson »

It's nice, but probably not necessary. ;) As Martin says, it does distil and speed up the process a little, but you already have all the tools you need in the standard Cubase plugins.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by The Elf »

blinddrew wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:10 pm It's nice, but probably not necessary. ;) As Martin says, it does distil and speed up the process a little, but you already have all the tools you need in the standard Cubase plugins.

+1 Keep it simple.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19940 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by James Perrett »

Hippie162 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 4:47 pm
James Perrett wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:51 pm Here's a very quick attempt at bringing the vocals up and compressing them with a soft knee compressor ...

I can see what you mean they sound so much clearer. Did you add a reverb, sounds really lush?

No, that's just a side effect of the compression which is both bringing out the quieter syllables and also the reverb you've used on the vocals (Music Rebalance includes the vocal effects as well as the vocals themselves on the separated vocal track).
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Exalted Wombat »

Lots of good ideas in there (though what's with the barking dog?)

Now, play it to someone who hasn't heard it before. Ask them to write the words down. If there's anything they're not sure about after hearing it twice (which for me is the few words after 'I feel you tremble' and then, I'm afraid, much of the chorus) you need to do something about it.

But I think we've reached the limit of what can be 'fixed in the mix'. Re-record the vocals.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5806 Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am Location: London UK
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Post by Hippie162 »

Exalted Wombat wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:37 am Lots of good ideas in there (though what's with the barking dog?)

Now, play it to someone who hasn't heard it before. Ask them to write the words down. If there's anything they're not sure about after hearing it twice (which for me is the few words after 'I feel you tremble' and then, I'm afraid, much of the chorus) you need to do something about it.

But I think we've reached the limit of what can be 'fixed in the mix'. Re-record the vocals.

:lol: It's not a barking dog it's a vocal chop :lol:

I still want to try to fix it. I think i just need to level it up and sort the volume.
Hippie162
Regular
Posts: 198 Joined: Tue May 04, 2021 9:40 am Location: Somerset, UK
Cubase Pro 11 user: Trying to improve my production and mixing skills!

Post by Exalted Wombat »

Well, it sounds like a barking dog! :-)

>I still want to try to fix it. I think i just need to level it up and sort the volume.

OK, I won't go on about it after this reply!

But do remember, you KNOW what the words are. A lot of the problems aren't level or e.q., you just aren't pronouncing the words clearly.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5806 Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am Location: London UK
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Post by Hippie162 »

Exalted Wombat wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:08 am Well, it sounds like a barking dog! :-)

>I still want to try to fix it. I think i just need to level it up and sort the volume.

OK, I won't go on about it after this reply!

But do remember, you KNOW what the words are. A lot of the problems aren't level or e.q., you just aren't pronouncing the words clearly.

Ok... (not a dog) ;)
Hippie162
Regular

Post by Hippie162 »

Hi again,

I had a zoom session with Drew earlier who unwound the wonders of parallel compression for me :-)

I have added this to the vocal, tried to level out the parts and then bussed it to try and get consistent levels and boosted them a bit.

I needed to add some automation on the chorus as it was still a bit much on that high note, I checked the EQ and boosted slightly at just over 200hz to try and add a bit of chest voice to level the vocal out.

https://soundcloud.com/user-410433233-5 ... al_sharing
Hippie162
Regular

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I reckon you can go harder with the parallel compression there. ;)
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Martin Walker »

blinddrew wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:09 pm I reckon you can go harder with the parallel compression there. ;)

I agree, but unlike so many vocals, I also suspect that your 'esses' are rather subdued, so if you're deliberately doing anything to suppress them, dial it back a bit so that you get a little more 'spit' in your delivery, which could help the clarity of words.

On the other hand, more parallel compression might just help with this aspect too.
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Guest »

Returning a favor here: vocals start getting loud for me around 1:00 (and similar); and I am the guy with notoriously loud vocal recordings (according to many others)! The singer is good. The song is pleasant. Some elements of the song are somewhat repetitive. Nice overall.

Re: New mix for opinions.. please

Post by Marcox »

Maybe a little too high on 4 6 khz
I think the voice needs compression to stop those increases in volume and make it more homogeneous, sometimes they sound too loud
Marcox