Turn on speakers from external switch

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Turn on speakers from external switch

Post by shufflebeat »

With it being a relay, would a regular RCD serve the same purpose - apart from the remote access?
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9104 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by ef37a »

shufflebeat wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:03 am With it being a relay, would a regular RCD serve the same purpose - apart from the remote access?

Well, you CAN trip an RCD remotely but it would be naughty to tell the world how!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16543 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Wonks »

There are different format RCDs. I was thinking this would be more along the DIN-rail mounted types and do have an on/off switch, rather than the in-line plug type. I wouldn't recommend the latter for regular switching on and off.

e.g. https://www.wentvaleelectricalltd.co.uk ... 7877-p.asp
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Forum Admin »

Lizardpoint wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:35 pm Get yourself a Furman power sequencer.
Plug all your gear into the delay 1 & 2 output connectors and your power amps into the delay 3 output connectors.
Then when you power on, all your toys come on first, finally your monitors.
When you power off, your monitors go off first then the rest of your toys.
It works for me 😀👍
Cheers
Dave

I do likewise with my core gear, except I use a Studiospares Trojan 348010 AC Power Sequencer which offers six 13A rear sockets. Not sure if they still make/sell these?
Forum Admin
Posts: 4291 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Don't think that's available any more. Studiospares do sell the Furman power sequencer, though for about £500... except it's currently on back order.

https://www.studiospares.com/cables-lea ... 470800.htm
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39024 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Forum Admin »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:08 pm Don't think that's available any more. Studiospares do sell the Furman power sequencer, though for about £500... except it's currently on back order.

https://www.studiospares.com/cables-lea ... 470800.htm

And the Furman model offers 9 power connections, compared to the Studiospares (no longer sold) model I use which has a mere 6.
Forum Admin
Posts: 4291 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Post by ef37a »

Hugh, in the September 2021 Q&As you mentioned an Energenie 8 way wireless strip.
I would guess that would last more than 2 years but even if not, half a bag buys a lot of backups!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16543 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Exalted Wombat »

Folderol wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:23 pm Absolutely DON'T do that :crazy:

Why? It exactly emulates what we all think the problem is.
Exalted Wombat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5814 Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am Location: London UK
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Post by Folderol »

Exalted Wombat wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:21 pm
Folderol wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:23 pm Absolutely DON'T do that :crazy:

Why? It exactly emulates what we all think the problem is.

No it doesn't. The switch is designed to be able to handle arcing. The plug pins are not, and will develop pits and poor contact. I wouldn't attempt this once, even just 'to see if it's OK'. Also I have seen the result of this sort of damage. It was in a relatively safe environment. I wouldn't like to see the same in someone's home.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18212 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Exalted Wombat »

OK, then compare the 'pop' from using the switch on the "extension power cord that has switches" with that from using the switch at the wall socket.
Exalted Wombat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5814 Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am Location: London UK
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.