What’s up with Focusrite supply?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

What’s up with Focusrite supply?

Post by sc1460 »

Hi SOS team, I’ve been trying to buy a focusrite red16Line for 2 years - it’s constantly on back order with very long wait lists from suppliers. Have focusrite run out of chips or what? Cheers!
H
sc1460
Regular

Re: What’s up with Focusrite supply?

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Chip supply, interrupted manufacture due to C-19 lockdowns, shipping containers still in the wrong place...
Mix together and wait...
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24577 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Wonks »

It's pretty much the same for every manufacturer.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by sc1460 »

Yet Antelope and UAD are shipping their equivalent stuff? Different chips?
I’m still hesitant on Antelope because of all the alleged bug issues on forums. The focusrite red line just seem superb spec, reliability and price.
Oh well….decisions….price inflation heading for 15%….tories…I won’t moan…
H
sc1460
Regular

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Focusrite did re-engineer some of their range to use different (available) chips but I don't know if that included the product you're looking at.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24577 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Luke W »

As mentioned, pretty much everybody is struggling with the short supply of components. I'm also planning some studio upgrades and a fair few of the options I'm looking at are either subject to long order times or potentially not going to be available at all for the time being.

Units that sell very well and were subject to larger production runs before the shortages hit are probably available due to more stock already exisiting more than anything else. As Drew says, some manufacturers are redesigning things (or replacing them entirely) where they can, but some bits of kit unforunately are simply subject to the waiting game.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1536 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by James Perrett »

If you are sure that you want it then you probably need to get in the queue. As I mentioned on another similar thread yesterday, I had a similar issue with a Raspberry Pi earlier this year. After lots off searching, I finally ordered it from a trusted supplier in the knowledge that I would just have to wait. At different points in the wait I was quoted a delivery date of 3 weeks time which then changed to 3 months time but I eventually received it after only a couple of weeks.
James Perrett
Posts: 14354 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Arpangel »

"It’s just the way things are" don’t ask why, because you won’t get an answer, all you’ll get is a price hike, for no apparent reason.
If I were in business right now, I'd have a whale of a time quoting all sorts of unsubstantiated reasons to put my prices up.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by DGL. »

I know Yamaha have been having issues and have tried to use other chips with mixed results, and Alan Sugar has been asking on his Twitter for help acquiring specific Raspberry Pi's (the memory style module variant) as he needs them for Amscreen and can't get them.

It's the joke now that the best deal you can get is when a website says "in stock - ships immediately"!
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1962 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by Dave Rowles »

DGL. wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:42 pm I know Yamaha have been having issues and have tried to use other chips with mixed results,

Yamaha is heavily reliant on Dante chips, and it appears that these have been hit hardest. So much live audio gear has been delayed till well into next year because of it.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1455 Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:00 am Location: Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.com Teacher - Isle of Man
http://www.manninmusic.shop Music Shop - Isle of Man
https://www.facebook.com/mannin.sound - PA Hire/Sound Engineer - Isle of Man

Post by James Perrett »

DGL. wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:42 pm Alan Sugar has been asking on his Twitter for help acquiring specific Raspberry Pi's (the memory style module variant) as he needs them for Amscreen and can't get them.

I'm sure Alan Sugar can get them but he's being greedy and wants more than his fair share. As I understand it, the various versions of the Raspberry Pi are all being manufactured but in smaller quantities than the market demands. They are trying to allocate them to different customers as fairly as possible so that the big boys don't gobble up all the supply.
James Perrett
Posts: 14354 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by N i g e l »

sc1460 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:33 pm Hi SOS team, I’ve been trying to buy a focusrite red16Line for 2 years - it’s constantly on back order with very long wait lists from suppliers. Have focusrite run out of chips or what? Cheers!
H

perhaps they have to use AKM A-D/D-A chips, the factory of which burnt down.

https://www.soundonsound.com/music-business/chip-crisis

or maybe AKM customers are substituting other chips in their products causing a shortage of the ones Focusrite need.

Good to see Raspberry PI have an allocation stratagey. The PI is meant for kids to learn programming & interfacing. Industry takes 2nd place.
:)
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3689 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

When the US signs into law $280 billion to invest in technology, including 'chip factories', and the EU are doing something similar, it's obvious the situation is pretty serious!

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-62482141.amp

If China decided to stop making and selling electronic components to the West we'd be in very deep do-do very quickly!
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38982 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Wonks »

Or a very likely scenario of China invading Taiwan and a subsequent Russia-style trade embargo (if not war).
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by MarkOne »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:22 am When the US signs into law $280 billion to invest in technology, including 'chip factories', and the EU are doing something similar, it's obvious the situation is pretty serious!

If China decided to stop making and selling electronic components to the West we'd be in very deep do-do very quickly!

The issue is, that bleeding edge fabs are a) hugely expensive (I.e. $10B upwards,) and b) take a significant time to be up and running (I.e. years), so while I applaud the initiative, it’s not an overnight fix.

I do think however that with the levels of automation in modern high tech manufacturing, and the closing wage gap with the Far East the only real impediment to far more local manufacturing, is really real estate and construction costs. When you have a dozen skilled engineers looking after a thousand automated lines in a building the size of 10 football fields, it really doesn’t matter if it’s in Shenzhen, Skegness, San Diego, or St Tropez.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2738 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by MarkOne »

MarkOne wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:10 pm
Hugh Robjohns wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:22 am When the US signs into law $280 billion to invest in technology, including 'chip factories', and the EU are doing something similar, it's obvious the situation is pretty serious!

The issue is, that bleeding edge fabs are a) hugely expensive (I.e. $10B upwards,) and b) take a significant time to be up and running (I.e. years), so while I applaud the initiative, it’s not an overnight fix.

I do think however that with the levels of automation in modern high tech manufacturing, and the closing wage gap with the Far East the only real impediment to far more local manufacturing, is really real estate and construction costs. When you have a dozen skilled engineers looking after a thousand automated lines in a building the size of 10 football fields*, it really doesn’t matter if it’s in Shenzhen, Skegness, San Diego, or St Tropez.

*I’ve visited a Factory of a very large consumer electronics company and it was exactly like that.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2738 Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:00 am Location: Bristol, England, Earth, Perseus Gap, Milky Way
My Music on Apple Music
My Music on Spotify

Post by MOF »

MOF
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2264 Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:00 am Location: United Kingdom

Post by Sam Inglis »

I suspect that finding even a dozen skilled engineers in Skegness might be a challenge.
Sam Inglis

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

:bouncy: Harsh!
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38982 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Nazard »

Maybe not too difficult.......

https://adamsengineeringltd.co.uk/
Nazard
Frequent Poster