Using Saturation

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Using Saturation

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I'm with Wonks, I've always thought of it as 'tape saturation'. Probably because, until your post above, I've never understood what transformer saturation actually was.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by ef37a »

blinddrew wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:34 am I'm with Wonks, I've always thought of it as 'tape saturation'. Probably because, until your post above, I've never understood what transformer saturation actually was.

Few do. "They" don't even really mean "saturation" on tape, really somewhere around 4-6% THD I would guess. Most machines were lined up for ~3% THD at +4dBu but then we would have to delve into the history of tape flux levels!

Actually saturating a tape would sound 'king awful!

Ooo! Have a look at "saturable reactors".

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by merlyn »

If we think how this would be done in DSP ...

We need a non-linear function. Inverse tan would do it :

The saturation is that at a certain point increasing the input doesn't increase the output.
merlyn
Frequent Poster
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.

Post by ef37a »

merlyn wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:08 pm If we think how this would be done in DSP ...

We need a non-linear function. Inverse tan would do it :

The saturation is that at a certain point increasing the input doesn't increase the output.

That looks very like a flux v magnetizing force curve.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by James Perrett »

Here's a typical B-H curve showing how a magnetic material behaves under different field strengths.

If we are talking about tape then there are all kinds of other effects involved - notably bias levels. Under-biasing can produce some interesting distortion effects.

(Diagram taken from https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/el ... resis.html)
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

ef37a wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:51 am ...to mean a mild form of distortion when in fact, electronically it is the most extreme form of distortion you can get.

That's clipping, surely?

Many engineering terms have become corrupted in popular usage.

To most, 'saturation' means a benign and moderate level of musical distortion, well below that introduced by more severe forms of distortion like clipping or A-D overload.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by ef37a »

Hugh Robjohns wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:42 pm
ef37a wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:51 am ...to mean a mild form of distortion when in fact, electronically it is the most extreme form of distortion you can get.

That's clipping, surely?

Yes, same thing because the transformer/valve/transistor/tape cannot supply any more signal.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

ef37a wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:51 am But, like "rms" bloody watts I suppose I shall just have to live with the term!

I still chuckle at a loudspeaker review I read many years ago in a 'hi-fi' magazine, that referred to its power rating in Watts WFT.

When asked to elaborate on this unfamiliar term, the reviewer replied that it stood for 'WishFul Thinking' :lol:
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Guest »

More like WTF.

Post by Folderol »

As an effect, tape and transformer saturation are very similar. Fundamentally it's the same magnetic behaviour, although the tape curve is 'fatter'.

You can also get a very approximate saturation effect with two germanium diodes back-to-back fed via a fairly high value resistor - although there is no hysteresis at all of course, so it's never going to be quite right.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18065 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Martin Walker »

Folderol wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:05 pm You can also get a very approximate saturation effect with two germanium diodes back-to-back fed via a fairly high value resistor

Ah, the components so beloved by electric guitarists everywhere (it sounds so much more natural then silicon diode clipping ;) )
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Sam Inglis »

To return to the OP for a moment, typically I'd only apply noticeable levels of distortion or saturation to electronic instruments such as synths and drum machines, the occasional weedy-sounding bass drum, and hand percussion such as shakers and tambourines. Distorted vocals have become a bit of a cliché to my mind. When I do use saturation I'll usually also roll off a lot of top end to stop something becoming too harsh (especially on a tambourine).

I often use a clean tape emulator on the master bus, but I think of that as a form of compression and tone shaping rather than saturation really.
Sam Inglis