Zoom R16 Problem ??

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Zoom R16 Problem ??

Post by Mickster »

Hi...new member here. I have a Zoom R16 that I use as an audio interface with Reaper. It's updated for both the system software and drivers. Reaper is updated as well. I recently moved to a new home. Before the move I didn't have the issue I'm going to outline.

Using the R16 with Reaper for recording is fine.....no issues. I'm able to process more than 20 tracks with lots of effects. There are no latency issues or breakups.

When I'm using the R16 as an AI and viewing YouTube, the video and the audio stops and starts. Oddly....when YouTube is playing their commercials there are no stuttering and audio issues. It only occurs when choosing and playing a video. If I bypass the R16 and just plug my headphones into the laptop there are no issues at all. So...it has to be something with the R16....right?

I'm using the same laptop as before my move. It's a Lenovo with win7.

Any ideas?
Mickster
Poster

Re: Zoom R16 Problem ??

Post by resistorman »

Sounds like internet problems.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Have you tried increasing the audio driver buffer size?
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38834 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Mickster »

Please explain. My current internet has measured faster than my previous one. No issues when not using the Zoom and playing YT vids just via the Lenovo. Can play YouTube vids all day long with no problems. Not saying you're wrong....but how does the internet speed....or other internet factor....come into play when using the Zoom? I was thinking my problem was some sort of issue with the laptop resources being strained.
Mickster
Poster

Post by Mickster »

Thanks. I did try using a larger buffer size. No change. Set at 256 and using ASIO.
Mickster
Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Worth checking the sample rate on the zoom as well (if it's adjustable).
But buffer size sounds most likely.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24445 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by James Perrett »

I wonder if this could be related to the sample rate of the video? Maybe videos at one sample rate give problems while the adverts at a different sample rate are fine.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by resistorman »

Mickster wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:56 pm Please explain.

Because you say there's no problem using it with Reaper, and it stutters watching video.

On the other hand, What about local files just played through your media player, not Reaper? As far as I know, you're not using ASIO when playing back general media on Windows, so it may be an issue with how the Zoom handles MME.
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Mickster wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:02 pm Thanks. I did try using a larger buffer size. No change. Set at 256 and using ASIO.

Go bigger! Latency really doesn't matter for playback!
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38834 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by merlyn »

Kind of strange/annoying as you've solved the difficult bit (low latency with Reaper) and it's falling over at the easy bit (desktop audio).

I doubt your browser is using ASIO. I would think you'd have to close Reaper for a browser to produce any sound.

If you have spare inputs on the R16 you could take a line out from the motherboard sound into the R16. That way you could use the R16 for Reaper and the motherboard sound for browsers, media players and any other desktop audio.
merlyn
Frequent Poster
It ain't what you don't know. It's what you know that ain't so.

Post by Mickster »

Thanks for the suggestions so far! The R16 sample rate is fixed at 44.1k. As for local files played through the Zoom...no problem....and that includes non-YouTube videos (on the laptop) as well as normal audio files.

I did change the buffer size up from 256 where it is now. No change.

I need some education as to how the sample rate of the video affects the R16. Interesting. Keep in mind that when I unplug the Zoom from the Lenovo and plug my headphones directly into the laptop...all is fine....so I have to think it's some sort of "overload" problem for the Lenovo when viewing YouTube vids. But....for years prior to my move.....there was never any sort of issue playing YouTube vids. And....as I mentioned....my current internet speed measures a bit better than my previous location.

Admittedly....this is not a major problem of any sort. And....when YouTube is playing their commercials (before the video) there is never a problem. To be honest....it's just one of those problems that makes me want to find the solution.....thinking I'll surely learn something I didn't know before.
Mickster
Poster

Post by Mickster »

Merlyn......thanks for the suggestion! That might make it less annoying!
Mickster
Poster